Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian: Kyle Orton Could Have Been A Colt

21isSuperman

Here's the problem: look at the team as a whole. For the majority of Polian's tenure, the defense and special teams were abysmal while the running game was substandard. Few QBs in the history of the game could have won with those teams.

So the Broncos should be pretty much unstoppable this year, right? I mean, you're taking Peyton Manning, a QB that went to two SBs and won one, played in AFC Championship games, and consistently took his team to the playoffs.....a team that "few QBs in the history of the game could have won with".....you're taking Peyton Manning and making him the QB of a team that won a playoff game with Tim Tebow at QB. If Peyton Manning can go 14-2 and lose the Super Bowl with a team that "few QBs in the history of the game could have won with," he ought to be unstoppable with a team that has actual NFL talent, right? I'm thinking undefeated season, easily.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had prepared a breakdown of the Colts' advanced rushing stats from 1998 on, but the post got lost. Had network issues yesterday and this morning, so all that is done. Here's the link to FO's website that shows the rankings, and you can check them for yourself. I think you'll see the Colts weren't as bad in short yardage as you "remember." They were even in the top five a couple times. They were more up and down than I remembered, but they weren't terrible in short yardage.

And by the way, while this discussion has become more about short yardage, you'll note that my initial comment was that the Colts weren't always bad running the ball. That's undoubtedly the case, both based on the raw numbers and the advanced stats at FO.

http://footballoutsi...om/stats/ol1998

Power success percentage / ranking is an aggregate stat showing a team's ability to run in short yardage situations. Adjusted line yards / ranking and 10+ yards / ranking show how much of an impact the offensive line had on the run game, compared with the running back. All these metrics should be looked at together to get a good idea of how the line performed, which is what the discussion has been about. We know we had good backs (Faulk, Edge, early Addai, early Rhodes).

The post you quoted of mine was about short yardage, so I answered as if you knew what I was speaking about. Hey it's all good and I am looking forward not back...

4 since 2001....To our 9......They also had 16 QBs start a game for them over that time span as well.....

Other than Devin Hester...I'm trying to think of the Bears last all-pro offensive player??

Or even all-NFC..on offense....other than kick returner

Somewhat of a drafting drought there.

I think you're right on there...

Bears fans talk a lot about the lack of quality skill position players..

..but I think it was Kruetz....maybe 3-4 years ago......

Its funny how the Colts have had so many ofensive stars...

..while the Bears have had so many defensive standouts..

I really think it goes back to the vast differennce in conditions where the two teams play....

Olin Kreutz maybe?

Bears First Team All-Pro players 2000-present

2001 - Mike Brown (S)

Brian Urlacher (ILB)

Ted Washington (DT)

2002 - Brian Urlacher (ILB)

2005 - Lance Briggs (OLB)

Brian Urlacher (ILB)

2006 - Robbie Gould (K)

Devin Hester (KR)

Olin Kreutz ©

Brian Urlacher (ILB)

2007 - Devin Hester (KR)

Pro Bowl 2000-2011

Brian Urlacher, LB

Olin Kreutz, C

Brian Urlacher, LB

Ted Washington, DT

Larry Whigham, S

James Williams, OT

Marty Booker, WR

Olin Kreutz, C

Brian Urlacher, LB

Jerry Azumah, KR

Olin Kreutz,* C

Brian Urlacher, LB

Olin Kreutz,* C

Lance Briggs, LB

Mike Brown,* S

Tommie Harris, DT

Olin Kreutz,* C

Brian Urlacher,* LB

Nathan Vasher, CB

Brendon Ayanbadejo, ST

Lance Briggs,* LB

Robbie Gould, PK

Tommie Harris,* DT

Devin Hester, KR

Olin Kreutz,* C

Brian Urlacher,* LB

Ruben Brown, G

Brendon Ayanbadejo, ST

Lance Briggs,* LB

Tommie Harris,* DT

Devin Hester, KR

Lance Briggs, LB

Lance Briggs LB

Johnny Knox KR

Julius Peppers DE

Brian Urlacher MLB

Lance Briggs OLB

Devin Hester KR

Matt Forte RB

Julius Peppers DE

Lance Briggs OLB

Brian Urlacher MLB

Charles Tillman CB

Corey Graham ST

I think you're right on there...

Bears fans talk a lot about the lack of quality skill position players..

..but I think it was Kruetz....maybe 3-4 years ago......

Its funny how the Colts have had so many ofensive stars...

..while the Bears have had so many defensive standouts..

I really think it goes back to the vast differennce in conditions where the two teams play....

I think it just comes down to some draftees on each side of the ball that didn't work out, the Bears had that on offense while we had that on defense

Exactly, we passed on Andy Dalton (2nd Round Pick) & Colt McCoy (3rd Round Pick). Both of these would've been Excellent Back-Ups for Peyton... but everyone thought Peyton was Indestructable and never thought to get a GOOD Back Up QB smh

This is exactly what I came in here to post, Polian never drafted an acceptable back up for Peyton and ultimately that is what cost him his job. Look at the Patriots, they have Tom Brady and they always make sure they draft a QB in the top half of the draft when a back up is needed. If Luck does turn out to be an elite QB, I hope Grigson isn't as foolish and does eventually draft a backup in the 2nd-3rd round. There were several drafts I wished the Colts drafted a solid back up, because you never know in the NFL. Polian can say he could have made better moves, which is obvious, but he shouldn't have been forced to make the moves in the first place, he should have had someone in place already.

This is exactly what I came in here to post, Polian never drafted an acceptable back up for Peyton and ultimately that is what cost him his job. Look at the Patriots, they have Tom Brady and they always make sure they draft a QB in the top half of the draft when a back up is needed. If Luck does turn out to be an elite QB, I hope Grigson isn't as foolish and does eventually draft a backup in the 2nd-3rd round. There were several drafts I wished the Colts drafted a solid back up, because you never know in the NFL. Polian can say he could have made better moves, which is obvious, but he shouldn't have been forced to make the moves in the first place, he should have had someone in place already.

No they don't. The only backup quarterback the Patriots have had and used with any success in the Tom Brady era is Matt Cassel, and he was drafted in the middle of the 7th round. Just because they drafted Ryan Mallett last year doesn't mean they have a history of drafting quarterbacks high, and they certainly don't have a history of having success with backup quarterbacks.

Another thing: I don't believe Polian got fired because he didn't have a good backup quarterback. I think he got fired for a number of reasons, and that was probably 5th or 6th on the list. Overall, when you go 2-14 as a GM, your job is on the line. And there were a lot of things we could have done as a team to prevent a 2-14 season, one of them being having a better backup quarterback. But we also could have had a better defense, or a better offensive line to take some pressure off of the decent (through Week 6) backup quarterback we did have. Polian could have prevented the perception that he was puppeting the coaching staff. He could have avoided the perception that his son was driving long-time assistants away from the organization. I think all of those things collectively (and probably a few more) led to his dismissal, not just the fact that we weren't good at backup quarterback.