Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Early 2013 NFL Draft Big Board

Mathieu makes plays, there is no doubt about that, but if we have a top 10 pick, you don't use that on a 5'9 175 lb corner. He could be a great nickel corner but you don't draft a nickel guy with a high no. 1, and I don't see how he would be a starting SS at his size.

Weren't people wanting to get bigger and more physical on defense?

Good point and even if he is a S... do we want to go the Bob Sanders route again? Huge payoff WHEN HE PLAYS. But a lot of missed games due to the nature of his play. And I am not comparing TM to Bob.. really... but there are some similarities.

actually a lot.

If he is a safety he won't last. If he wants to be an impact S, defending the run. He will never hold up.

Depending on how these 3 UDFA DB's play..... (Chism, Pelleren, and Fenelus) I don't mind seeing Indy go DB in the second also.

This team will rush the QB just by nature of the scheme. DB's will be a premium IMO.

A long way off, but I like O right now. And I am HOPING maybe Hughes comes alive.... Not counting on it tho...

Im encouraged by Chisms highlights yes they are just highlights but that kid can HIT and also Hayworth Hicks is one mean and nasty Guard who is also looks good at pass blocking, their looks to be 26 cuts to make Im hoping they both make the team

I didnt come away overly impressed with Mathieu, hes alright but I wouldnt say top ten talent, hes much better at coming up and blitzing then he is in coverage, hes a good tackler but lost in coverage, doesnt show great instincts to the ball unless coming up to the line to blitz or stop the run and Zbyskowski can already do that

Im encouraged by Chisms highlights yes they are just highlights but that kid can HIT and also Hayworth Hicks is one mean and nasty Guard who is also looks good at pass blocking, their looks to be 26 cuts to make Im hoping they both make the team

I am also very high on Hicks. I think that he could be a steal. He shows good power and strength.

Depending on how these 3 UDFA DB's play..... (Chism, Pelleren, and Fenelus) I don't mind seeing Indy go DB in the second also.

This team will rush the QB just by nature of the scheme. DB's will be a premium IMO.

A long way off, but I like O right now. And I am HOPING maybe Hughes comes alive.... Not counting on it tho...

At this point, I don't think Hughes is being given a chance. He came to us in two down years and is only going into his third year. I feel that he's just a product of bad coaching, Pagano could give him a big boost. Maybe all this time he was a 3-4 linebacker? I don't know, but I feel that this could be a breakout year for him.

He was so good in college. I really feel like this is his year!!!

He shows that he is good against the run, can rush the passer, and is a hustle type of player. I think that he may just be a late bloomer and that Pagano can make him blossom. He has the size of a 3-4 LB. That was actually his main concern coming out of college, that he was a 4-3 DE in a 3-4 OLB's body. I hope he can be one of our future OLB's.

Chap has brought up a great point concerning Jerry on 1070 several times. And that is he has had 2 YEARS to make an impact on ST's ... and he has done nothing.

Mathis got noticed playing ST's, ... Hughes is a non factor? Kinda revealing tho...

But Indy did play him in the wrong spot. Dude is NOT a 43 DE.

Lets hope for the best.

Chap has brought up a great point concerning Jerry on 1070 several times. And that is he has had 2 YEARS to make an impact on ST's ... and he has done nothing.

Mathis got noticed playing ST's, ... Hughes is a non factor? Kinda revealing tho...

But Indy did play him in the wrong spot. Dude is NOT a 43 DE.

Lets hope for the best.

The wierd thing is that he seems like such a hustle type player.

1. David Amerson CB N.C. State

A 6-3 ball hawking corner, who is great in coverage.

2. Brandon Jenkins 3-4 OLB Florida State

A 6-3 OLB, with a quick first step and good strength. May need to work on his top end speed.

3. Jonathan Cooper OG UNC

A 6-3 OG, a very good athlete who is a very good run blocker and is good in pass protection.

4. Margus Hunt 3-4 DE SMU

A 6-8 DE who is a physical freak. He has blocked 14 kicks in 3 years and is a world class shot put shot put and discus thrower. He will need a lot of developing because he is a very raw player.

The only reason I see Mathieu > Amerson is the strength of their opponents. Amerson had much prettier stats, but played against a bunch of crap unseeded teams with nobody at quarterback. LSU had a tough schedule, and teams threw away from him.

So, preseason wise, Mathieu has a slight advantage and his punt returning skills is a bonus.

The QBs in the SEC are no better than the ACC and they throw less in the SEC. Not only did they not throw away from Matthieu, he's only covering the 3rd receiver. I think you're mixing up Claiborne for Matthieu. I hope anyways. . .

You Bozos don't even realize that Mathieu plays a lot of and is projected as a Safety. We just finished our first draft and you guys are already making major mistakes. Bad in covereage...give me a break...when have you ever seen Mathieu slip up in coverage?

Perhaps us "bozos" know that he's 30 lbs lighter than Sanders or Polamalu.

Positives about Tyrann Mathieu are

Heavy Hitter

excellent return skills

good at coming up and stopping the run

excellent instincts to the ball (after the ball has been caught)

brings alot of energy

Negatives

size both in height and weight 5'9" 175lbs

over pursuits sometimes

Needs to work on wrapping up and tackling better

Positives David Amerson

Size and instincts allow him to play safety if needed 6'3' 193lbs

ballhawk

excellent instincts

great man coverage skills

Hip Flexibility

do to size, speed and instincts can play safety

Negatives

Needs to work on press coverage skills

sometimes will rely on his size in coverage to much and allow his man to get behind him

were in a division with 3 of the top 5 rb's in the nfl we must draft defense next year. amerson will be a top 3 pick and i think dolphins,jags,vikings,browns, records will be worse then ours. so the best defensive players available will be jarvis jones,star lotulelei,barkevious mingo,manti teo,and tyrann matheiu. i think grigson will draft jones because of his pass rushing abilities.

were in a division with 3 of the top 5 rb's in the nfl we must draft defense next year. amerson will be a top 3 pick and i think dolphins,jags,vikings,browns, records will be worse then ours. so the best defensive players available will be jarvis jones,star lotulelei,barkevious mingo,manti teo,and tyrann matheiu. i think grigson will draft jones because of his pass rushing abilities.

you think or you hope? cause those teams didnt change alot or improved with exception of the Dolphins who got worse, we pretty much changed everything

you think or you hope? cause those teams didnt change alot or improved with exception of the Dolphins who got worse, we pretty much changed everything

im sure that we wont be drafting in the top 5 again which leaves us no chance to get amerson. top 5 probably will be vikings 2-14, jags 3-13,dolphins 3-13,browns 4-12,seahawks 5-11. based on our strength of schedule and our new players will finish 7-9.

im sure that we wont be drafting in the top 5 again which leaves us no chance to get amerson. top 5 probably will be vikings 2-14, jags 3-13,dolphins 3-13,browns 4-12,seahawks 5-11. based on our strength of schedule and our new players will finish 7-9.

Week 1: at Chicago Bears: L

Week 2 (9/16): vs. Minnesota Vikings: L (if AP is healthy)

Week 3 (9/23): vs. Jacksonville Jaguars: W

Week 4: Bye Week

Week 5: Green Bay Packers: L

Week 6: at New York Jets: L

Week 7: vs. Cleveland Browns L

Week 8: at Tennessee Titans: L

Week 9: vs. Miami Dolphins: W

Week 10: at Jacksonville Jaguars: L

Week 11: at New England Patriots: L

Week 12 : vs. Buffalo Bills: L

Week 13: at Detroit Lions: L

Week 14: vs. Tennessee Titans: L

Week 15: at Houston Texans: L

Week 16: at Kansas City Chiefs: L

Week 17: vs. Houston Texans: W

3-13 is a very realistic record for us, and that isn't worst case. Best case is probably 7-9. We will most likely have a top five pick next year. We will have a few bad seasons for the next few years.

your really underestimating the colts and how much better the team is from last year. with curtis painter at qb we almost beat the chiefs,bucs,jags,titans,browns. if we had luck,fleener,allen and the addition of pagano last year we would have went 7-9. looking at the upcoming schedule based on our improvement and the lack of qb play from our opponents i think we will beat the vikings,jags,jets,browns,dolphins,bills,titans home,texans home and finish 8-8.

your really underestimating the colts and how much better the team is from last year. with curtis painter at qb we almost beat the chiefs,bucs,jags,titans,browns. if we had luck,fleener,allen and the addition of pagano last year we would have went 7-9. looking at the upcoming schedule based on our improvement and the lack of qb play from our opponents i think we will beat the vikings,jags,jets,browns,dolphins,bills,titans home,texans home and finish 8-8.

At best.

IMO, we will win 3-4 games this year. I have 3 reasons for this:

1. Rookie QB. Even Peyton only won 3 games his rookie year.

2. Change in Defense philosophy. We will need time for the right combination at D-line and LB. IMO, the CB situation will take at least 1 season to start shaping up.

3. Fleener and the lack of a true #2 WR.

I know, Mr Irsay has done things this off-season that most team would not have done, so I hope that we are building a winning team.

:facepalm:

Amerson would be a great addition to the Colts squad, however I REALLY like this Te'o kid! He's a monster, and I would LOVE if we drafted him.

I would love to see what Pagano could do with his raw talent

You and me both!!! Id have to lean towards us geting Jarvis Jones or Amerson if they are still avilable to us but I am very fond of Te'o and would love to have him. He is a playmaker plain and simple, always around the ball.

While I like Te'o, Angerer and Conner haven't done anything to lose their starting spots yet, Freeney is in the last year of his deal and is also getting older so a higher priority should be put on outside linebackers especially ones that have played in a 3-4 also at defensive end such as Devin Taylor, Jarvin Jones, Sam Montgomery, Mingo, also we need a Corner such as Amerson or Rhodes which if we struggle like most of us think we will then we could and probably will be in position to get him and then turn around and get one of those Linebackers mentioned in the second round

That's what I'm thinking

I believe Te'o could play OLB

The problem with that is, I know Devin Taylor, Jenkins and Jarvin Jones can, wouldn't you rather have someone you know can play the position especially if your going to draft them so high?

I could see us drafting the best OLB on the board with our first pick. It all hangs on Freeney.

Te'o would, in my opinion, be a solid improvement of our D-line. That Angerer and Connell "haven't done anything to lose their position", is irrelevant if there's a player available that's better and that Grigson et al. thinks could be a dominant player for years to come. Quality in depth is important as well.

But this is all pure speculation at this point. Te'o, Amerson or any of the other top-rated draft prospects at this point, could all have ACL, or other serious, injuries during the next year, as could any of the players on our roster, and other players could emerge.

I would love Te'o. I would love Amerson. I would love Star Lotulelei and there are lot's of other potential draft targets that I would love to see join the Colts. My personal favorite at this point would be Te'o, but I feel that we're in good hands with Grigson and that he and his team will make good use of our first round pick next year, no matter who they pick @ #1.

Quality at the draft, can also be found outside the first round at most positions. We should all recognize that at this point.