Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Team With The Best Draft

This year i think the Steelers killed the draft. They had a completely dominate draft. DeCastro was the best OL after Kalil and he will be an immediate starter. After that they got Mike Adams which is a first round talent avaliable in the second. He will also fight for a starting spot at LT and could move the injury prone Colon out of town. In round three they were able to get Sean Spence. He is and undersized MLB but would fit great next to Timmons. Spence is an excellent tackler with good coverage abilities, which compliments Timmons run stuffing skills. With Farrior long gone Spence could fight for playing time. Next round they chose Alameda Ta'amu. With rising DTs Ta'amu was pushed out of the second and third round. Ta'amu is a big body who adds youth on the line next to former first rounders Hayward and Hood.

What do you think?

i think the bengals, bucs, Giants and philly were winners that are not getting the attention. of course you have to add steelers and ravens who i tought got a great draft... man bengals steelers and ravens had a great draft, that division will be tough.

Actually I think Grigson nailed it on the first five picks.

- Luck was a no-brainer. He could be the best thing that has happened to us since #18.

- Fleener & Allen were both great picks as 2nd and 3rd round picks and gives Luck some good weapons. I'm sure Arians is very pleased.

- T.Y. Hilton was a steal as our 4th pick and brings an edge on special teams, while learning the ropes this season. Will surprise a lot of people with his acceleration.

- Chapman is a beast and has HUGE value as a 5th pick. Massive upside with little risk. So he has had some problems with the knee, but the doctors have given him the green light. He could be a starter this season. Can't ask for a lot more from a fifht round pick.

Actually I think Grigson nailed it on the first five picks.

- Luck was a no-brainer. He could be the best thing that has happened to us since #18.

- Fleener & Allen were both great picks as 2nd and 3rd round picks and gives Luck some good weapons. I'm sure Arians is very pleased.

- T.Y. Hilton was a steal as our 4th pick and brings an edge on special teams, while learning the ropes this season. Will surprise a lot of people with his acceleration.

- Chapman is a beast and has HUGE value as a 5th pick. Massive upside with little risk. So he has had some problems with the knee, but the doctors have given him the green light. He could be a starter this season. Can't ask for a lot more from a fifht round pick.

I agree, but I'd add Vick Ballard in there too. He put up numbers in the SEC comparable to Trent Richardson and we got him in the 5th. He's smart, great between the tackles, can catch and pass block.

1. Bengals

2. Pats

3. Steelers

Why is everyone so high on the Pats draft? I agree Chandler Jones and Hightower were good picks but they were drafted about where they were supposed to. So its not like they stole them. Outside of the 1st round picks, who else were great picks? You could argue Dennard, but there must be a reason he dropped. I think he was somewhat overrated. And btw, S Tavon Wilson was a big reach in round 2 for them.

Why do some people think Hilton was a steal when his draft grade says serious reach especially considering who went after him

Hilton had a 74.5 draft grade compared to Nick Toon 77.0, David Givens 80.0, Joe Adams 78.0 and Keshawn Martin were all available in the 4th round if we kept that position......by those numbers we reached big time...thats not counting other positions with better draft grades we passed on, Linebacker and Corner, both of which were bigger needs as well

Why is everyone so high on the Pats draft? I agree Chandler Jones and Hightower were good picks but they were drafted about where they were supposed to. So its not like they stole them. Outside of the 1st round picks, who else were great picks? You could argue Dennard, but there must be a reason he dropped. I think he was somewhat overrated. And btw, S Tavon Wilson was a big reach in round 2 for them.

Of course, Wilson was a reach, but it doesn't necessarily means he's bad. Either way, I didn't like that pick. Dennard is 2nd round talent gotten in the 7th round and don't worry he'll behave under Belicheck. They also got Jake Bequette a real good young kid with tons of potential. They got 2 immediate starters in the first round... a probable starter in the 7th, and a rotation guy, maybe starter in the 3rd round. They also got their potential safety starter in the 2nd.

Of course, Wilson was a reach, but it doesn't necessarily means he's bad. Either way, I didn't like that pick. Dennard is 2nd round talent gotten in the 7th round and don't worry he'll behave under Belicheck. They also got Jake Bequette a real good young kid with tons of potential. They got 2 immediate starters in the first round... a probable starter in the 7th, and a rotation guy, maybe starter in the 3rd round. They also got their potential safety starter in the 2nd.

Colts also did some reaching from the 3rd round on

Colts also did some reaching from the 3rd round on

Like who... Chapman? Who was suppose to go before the 5th...

...like Ballard? Who was suppose to go in the late 4th...

...like Brazill who was suppose to go in the early to mid 6th round...

...Anderson and Fugger were the only reaches past round 3 and they were in the 7th round... there aren't many standout players there anyways.

Oh, and Harnish was suppose to be drafted.

Why do some people think Hilton was a steal when his draft grade says serious reach especially considering who went after him

Hilton had a 74.5 draft grade compared to Nick Toon 77.0, David Givens 80.0, Joe Adams 78.0 and Keshawn Martin were all available in the 4th round if we kept that position......by those numbers we reached big time...thats not counting other positions with better draft grades we passed on, Linebacker and Corner, both of which were bigger needs as well

Oh don't be using NFL.com's draft prospects. They had Lavonte David higher then Don'ta Hightower and I believe most if us could agree that Hightower is the better player. Plus we have our own draft boards that we stuck too as well as I remember Grigson saying he got word somebody was going to take T.Y.

Like who... Chapman? Who was suppose to go before the 5th...

...like Ballard? Who was suppose to go in the late 4th...

...like Brazill who was suppose to go in the early to mid 6th round...

...Anderson and Fugger were the only reaches past round 3 and they were in the 7th round... there aren't many standout players there anyways.

Oh, and Harnish was suppose to be drafted.

starting with trading out of the 4th round to move up to the late 3rd Hilton had a 74.5 draft grade while if we stayed in the 4th round Chris Givens-80.0, Joe Adams 78.2 and Keshawn Martin 76.0 had better draft grades and thats just at that position alone in the 4th round who went

starting with trading out of the 4th round to move up to the late 3rd Hilton had a 74.5 draft grade while if we stayed in the 4th round Chris Givens-80.0, Joe Adams 78.2 and Keshawn Martin 76.0 had better draft grades and thats just at that position alone in the 4th round who went

You need to grasp the idea that the Kiper & McShay's of the world draft rankings are very likely not in the same ballpark of how the Colts make their board.

You need to grasp the idea that the Kiper & McShay's of the world draft rankings are very likely not in the same ballpark of how the Colts make their board.

Im very aware of that besides I wouldnt want them to go off Mcshays board anyway lol, but Im very sure that Irsay and Grigson still pay attention to Kiper and Mcshay and Mayocks board none the less even if its just to see what they have to say

Im very aware of that besides I wouldnt want them to go off Mcshays board anyway lol, but Im very sure that Irsay and Grigson still pay attention to Kiper and Mcshay and Mayocks board none the less even if its just to see what they have to say

If you are aware of the difference, then why say that the Colts reached for Hilton based on the draft grades you mentioned when none of those were from the team? That seems to be a contradiction.

If you are aware of the difference, then why say that the Colts reached for Hilton based on the draft grades you mentioned when none of those were from the team? That seems to be a contradiction.

Ill take Mayocks draft grades as pretty accurate

from the team?

No. Dear God. A contradiction from you. Follow me here - based on draft grades you got from somewhere, you said there were other receivers that had a higher grade than Hilton so they reached for him but then acknowledge a difference between draft grades of the Kipers of the world from the team itself. Clearly based on the Colts board, the Hilton pick was not a reach.

No. Dear God. A contradiction from you. Follow me here - based on draft grades you got from somewhere, you said there were other receivers that had a higher grade than Hilton so they reached for him but then acknowledge a difference between draft grades of the Kipers of the world from the team itself. Clearly based on the Colts board, the Hilton pick was not a reach.

I got the grades from NFL.com, Ill take Mayocks draft grades as pretty accurate

Wells thats good on you, because you better believe NFL GMs don't. Heck, a team doesn't need a GM at all if they go by what NFL.com has to say.

Sorry there, but lets just say that if Mayock was worth anything as a talent evaluator, he'd be a GM somewhere. The teams that interview and talk to these kids likely have a much better idea of what they're working with over some guy who watches them at the combine and says "ooh, aah" at this number or that number.

Base your opinions on the guys using more than NFL.com. I personally think that Adams was the best of the 4, then Hilton, then Givens. Does he fit our system? Not really. Arkansas plays a different offense than us. It depends on a lot of things, not just a grade from one website.

Again, you are failing to grasp the point. Mayock's grades may be accurate to him as I am certain there was a great deal of work put into it. You know what though - the Colts put in much more research into the players on their draft board and ranked the players accordingly in their minds. What it means is that you say that they reahed for Hilton when the very basic fact is that when they picked, Hilton was very obviously the best player on their board at the time. And if he was, that by its very definition means they did not reach for the pick. He was the BPA. Simple as that. Based on history, I fully expect you to not understand this and continue to base your argument on a set of ratings that could not mean any less.