Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The N"if"L

21isSuperman

January 27, 1991.....

Roughly three and a half hours after Whitney Houston knocked the National Anthem out of the park, Scott Norwood and the Buffalo Bills, were lining up to kick what would be a game winning field goal from 47 yards out. The crowd held its collective breath as the ball sailed just inside the right upright to give the Bills a 22-20 victory in Super Bowl 25. Thurman Thomas is named MVP for his stellar effort in the game and is joined on the podium at midfield by Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, and Cornelius Bennett. While the Bills celebrated their victory, Jeff Hostetler sat dejected in the Giants' locker room next to Otis Anderson who had been the Giants' workhorse that game. Their strong performances and spotlight overshadowed by the likes of Thomas, Kelly, and the New Kids on the Block halftime show. The Bills go into the 1991 season as favorites to win it all again, and with the feel of the Lombardi trophy still fresh in their minds, they storm through the season and win a hard fought game against a veteran Redskins team in Super Bowl 26. The Bills keep the train rolling and topple the Cowboys 2 straight seasons in the Super Bowl, backed by their veteran leadership and a tightly knit locker room. Bill Polian is named "Executive of the Year" for the 3rd straight time. Polian pulls the trigger in the 1995 draft and selects Kelly's replacement, a dynamic athlete by the name of Kordell Stewart. Two years later, he sniffs out a gem in the 6th round of the 1997 draft by the name of Priest Holmes.

In 1998, the Bills revamp their coaching staff, replacing the now retired Marv Levy with an up-and-comer named Jon Gruden, who decides to pass up Al Davis' offer to coach the Raiders. Polian also lured Chan Gailey away from a head coaching opportunity with the Dallas Cowboys with a chance to be the OC of a young and exciting Bills' offense starring Stewart and Holmes. Gailey, known for being extremely creative with mobile QBs, puts the Bills' offense back atop the rankings after only one season. In 1999, The Bills are back in the big game against the high flying St Louis Rams. Lead by coach Gruden, the Bills win a shootout in Superbowl 34, setting a record for total points scored in the Superbowl with a score of 48-41 and Kordel Stewart is named MVP. Polian and Gruden would go on to win one more super bowl in 2001 against the Buccs (Holmes wins MVP). Kordel Stewart wins 2 league MVPs running Gailey's high octane attack. Polian decides to step down and retire in 2004 after a down year in which Stewart and Holmes are both injured early. The Bills became known as the team of the 90s with 5 super bowl wins (6 if you count 2001) and are generally considered the greatest dynasty in the history of pro football.

• 3 weeks later...

I can expand on this later but what if Aaron baily realized the ball was on his stomach a second sooner in the 1995 AFC title game? The colts go on to play an off cowboys team in the super bowl and harbaugh completes the most magical season in Colts history by winning the super bowl MVP and the Colts are world champions.

• 1 month later...

Watched it last night. Romo's fumble is the reason we who the SB. Still no respect for us.

Dameshek has always hated on Peyton and I never understood why. That's why I don't take him (or Adam Rank) very seriously. I listen to these types of things because they are jokes, but I never listen to their "analysis" or "fantasy advice"

Dameshek has always hated on Peyton and I never understood why. That's why I don't take him (or Adam Rank) very seriously. I listen to these types of things because they are jokes, but I never listen to their "analysis" or "fantasy advice"

Never cared for Dameshek either. The only segment he has that is somewhat entertaining is shame report. I haven't even watched it this season though.

The Lucas Oil Stadium deal fell thru and never happened..... and the Colts moved to Los Angeles.

1. Okay, my life-long favorite NFL team is now a 40 minute drive down the freeway!!

2. Ooooops, Forgot about the L.A. traffic.... my lifelong favorite NFL team is now 2 hours away.

3. Okay, I'll deal with the drive and the traffic.... besides, the all-classy Colts organization is now in L.A.

4. Ooooops. Forgot about all the Raider fans (gang members) that now infest most sporting venues in L.A..... and who wouldn't know class if it bit 'em in their rass.

5. Okay, I'll spend the extra bucks for REALLY NICE season tickets so I can get the valet parking and sit an a safe section of the Colts new stadium.

6. Ooooops. I get laughed out of the Colts ticket sales office because THAT costs more than Steven Spielberg's beach house.

7. Okay, there are some really nice sports bars close to the Colts new stadium so I'll just have to settle for watching games there.

8. Ooooops. The patrons of those bars are "futbol" fans and not "football" fans so I get to watch Guadalajara vs Michoacan and eat food that gives me the runs.

9. Okay, so I scour L.A. a little more for sports bars that promise to show NFL games and I find a bunch.

10. Ooooops. SoCal is SoFull of fans from every other stinkin' NFL city that the bar crowd couldn't give a crap whether the Colts win or lose.... and there are 10 giant screens and a hodgepodge of noise blaring from every game being broadcasted along with drunken degenerate gamblers cursing their losses.

Thank you Jim Irsay.... you did the right thing.... and when I want to see a Colts home game I'll just buy the tickets and fly to Indy. THAT city deserves it!

I'll keep doing DirecTV and sizzlin' up steaks on my backyard grill.

"Honey.... could ya grab me another beer please?" ( A whole 6-pack for 8 bucks!!) :yes:

I live right outside LA...about a 26 mile drive...and everything stated in the above post is absolutely true and right to the point. I've only gone to one game in Cali, and that was to see the Colts and San Diego a few years back..2008 I believe. I work about 45 miles from home and the major highway I have to go on to get home is the only route north to get out of LA, and head towards San Fran...On holidays it sometimes take me 4 hours to get home...

I'll stick with Direct TV..and just watch from home..its so not worth it to see a game live or at a sports bar out here.

I'll stick with Direct TV..and just watch from home..its so not worth it to see a game live or at a sports bar out here.

Yep....it was cool for Direct TV to offer a price cut this season too. I'm hoping next year to have the time off available to finally see a game in Indy.....but for now its the living room.

My wife and I tried that chain restaurant famous for wings, beer and sports once.....and the food really is pretty good....but it's a modern day Tower of Babel with 2 dozen giant screens and fans of football, basketball, MMA and every other sporting event in the same place at the same time.

• 1 month later...

What if David Tyree doesn't catch the miracle in Super Bowl XLII? Rodney Harrison breaks up the pass and the Patriots win another Super Bowl, capping their undefeated season. The Giants lose, and Tom Coughlin is eventually fired in 2008. The Giants have the 2nd to last pick in the round and New England has the last. The Patriots don't resign Kelley Washington and Jabar Gaffney, opting instead to draft Michigan WR Mario Manningham after New York trades up and selects Texas TE Jermichael Finley. Mario Manningham plays for New England in Super Bowl XLVI against San Fransisco, who defeated the New York Giants when punt returner Trindon Holliday from LSU does not fumble. Kyle Williams is drafted by Houston because they needed a WR when Kevin Walter signed with New York, who needed a true #3 receiver. Jim Harbaugh's Niners are defeated by New England for their 5th title in 12 years, when receiver Mario Manningham makes a game clinching touchdown catch. In the spring of 2012, receiver Pierre Garçon signs with SF when Manningham is resigned by New England. Following is teammate, QB Peyton Manning. After being cut, QB Alex Smith signs with Miami and the Dolphins draft WR Michael Floyd and the Cardinals are stuck without any offense at all in 2012. Tannehill goes to Buffalo, and Stephon Gilmore to Arizona.

• 4 weeks later...

What if the Steelers had drafted Dan Marino who played for the Univ of Pitt. in that great 1983 draft?  Chuck Knoll said rumors of his recreational drug use scared them off and 5 QB's went before Marino.  They took some guy named Gabe Rivera instead. Bradshaw's career ended sooner than the Steelers thought and they ended up with guys like Mark Malone and lots of others....well, you get the picture.  Would Marino have won 1 or 5 Super Bowls with that defense and great FO?  We'll never know.  

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2519&dat=19920512&id=aKtdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=cV0NAAAAIBAJ&pg=5040,1699158

What if's? I'll give you a starter for ten....

1. Manning didn't choke in the play-offs?

2. Kenton Keith had hands of flesh?

3. Nick Harper could avoid blades and shoelace tackles?

4. Bob Sanders wasn't made of glass?

5. Hank Baskett didn't smear his hands with butter during the SB h/t break?

6. Bill Polian knew how to use a 1st round pick?

7. Resting starters was prohibited?

8. We signed Adam Viniateri one year earlier?

9. Reggie wasn't owned by Revis?

10. Manning could play in the snow?

Answer: DYNASTY