Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwayne Allen is the total package

HtownColt

I just think we need to stop comparing them to the NE tight ends. They don't really equate at all. Gronk plays a lot bigger and stronger than Fleener. A much more accomplished blocker and Hernandez is the speedy athletic guy. He can play all over the field and definately better at making people miss. I just don't think Allen or Fleener are similar to the NE guys at all. They are both good looking young TEs and I think Fleener may mirror Graham a little more and Allen right now would be closer to Fred Davis I would think. Both have a long way to go to be pro bowlers.

I was writing this just at the same time you were. :thmup:

He's more well rounded than Fleener, which is what you look for in 2 TE package. A receiver first kinda TE and a well rounded one.

Just look at the Pats. Gronk is very well rounded and Hernandez is a pure receiver.

Look at the Steelers a couple of years ago. They had Miller who was well rounded and Spaeth who was a receiver first kinda TE.

We are building our 2 headed TE monster properly :)

Sparta was strictly blocking Pittsburgh never had a pure receiving TE for his offense in recent years.

I see Fleener being a pretty solid blocker once he hits the weights and gets his technique developed more.

Fleener is a victim of the automatic athletic TE, blocker criticism.

If you watch tape of him and Allen, both those guys are solid run blockers. I'd be even willing to suggest, although Allen is a more Consistent blocker, Fleener is the more Powerful blocker.

Fleener can throw your average 4-3 linebacker all over the line of scrimmage.

I read that Fleener had back surgery early in his career and it causes him to be rather stiff. Supposedly, it limits his ability to work out and it limits his blocking ability. So, he might not ever become a great blocker.

you'd really think that something like that would have gotten more pub... if that's true, then, as a forum, i'd say we dropped the ball by not posting a thread.. not saying the Colt's made a mistake in drafting him, just that I don't recall US having ever discussed it... :???:

Fleener is a victim of the automatic athletic TE, blocker criticism.

If you watch tape of him and Allen, both those guys are solid run blockers. I'd be even willing to suggest, although Allen is a more Consistent blocker, Fleener is the more Powerful blocker.

Fleener can throw your average 4-3 linebacker all over the line of scrimmage.

I have to agree and I've heard some draft analyst say Fleener is an above average blocker. I haven't watched game tape on his blocking abilities but it wouldnt suprise me one bit if he is a solid blocker. He definitely has much room for improvement also which is a bonus. Same with Allen.

I just think we need to stop comparing them to the NE tight ends. They don't really equate at all. Gronk plays a lot bigger and stronger than Fleener. A much more accomplished blocker and Hernandez is the speedy athletic guy. He can play all over the field and definately better at making people miss. I just don't think Allen or Fleener are similar to the NE guys at all. They are both good looking young TEs and I think Fleener may mirror Graham a little more and Allen right now would be closer to Fred Davis I would think. Both have a long way to go to be pro bowlers.

There's no doubt about that, Dallas Clark's don't come around very often if at all. They would be lucky to even be spoken in the same breath as Dallas down the road their careers.

Dallas Clark definately made the most of his situation. With teams forced to keep deep saftey's behind our dangerous wide receivers like Harrison and Wayne and then Garcon that meant LBs were forced to guard him and Manning and Clark exploited the mismatches. Clark made some good catches over the years but I don't know how many times Manning would drop a dime right over the LBs outstretched arms into his bread basket. Manning definately made him look good and these gents should get the benefit of playing with Luck (I hope he has some Manning in him). I just remember that before Harrison got hurt for the Patriots he easily covered Clark. A really good saftey and press corners definately gave us fits until they changed the rules. When they did that and teams couldn't mug our receivers 10-15 yards down the field we turned the tables.

Despite if you like him or not Bill Polian is one of the main reasons we have the 5 yard rule in effect and the landscape of the NFL has changed. He went to the commissioner lobbying to get the rules changed after witnessing what NE did to them in the playoffs. Soon enough it got changed and we went on to win a Super Bowl and then the whole NFL was forced to change to mirror us.

dg

That's the concept...what NE does..bt we'll expand upon it...

I dont expect our TEs to ever line up in the backfield..although Allen could

.. we dont know what our rookies can do...Allen should be a solid all-around player

Its the formation and the options...

Neither Hernandez or Gronkowksi is anywhere near as fast as Fleener

But Fleener will be a tight end in name only./.He'll be playing receiver..especially near the goal line.

.....and Luck rolls well and throws well on the run..which Brady and Big Ben can not do....

...you are going to see an attack that you will like..

dg

That's the concept...what NE does..bt we'll expand upon it...

I dont expect our TEs to ever line up in the backfield..although Allen could

.. we dont know what our rookies can do...Allen should be a solid all-around player

Its the formation and the options...

Neither Hernandez or Gronkowksi is anywhere near as fast as Fleener

But Fleener will be a tight end in name only./.He'll be playing receiver..especially near the goal line.

.....and Luck rolls well and throws well on the run..which Brady and Big Ben can not do....

...you are going to see an attack that you will like..

I understand we may use them like they do...just I don't expect them to be at that level. First off we are talking about Tom Brady throwing to them...the best qb in the league. Second they have the best offensive line in football.....no one even gets a wiff us Gissele's perfume on him. Thirdly both Ben and Tom throw great rolling out....nobody extends a play better than Big Ben and while Tom likes to stay in the pocket I have never seen a problem with him on the move.

I do like our possibilities. I especially like how two TEs should help us run the ball better too! I worry more about our offensive line giving Luck enough time to find these guys. I think Allen will be Lucks go to target a lot.