Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bad clock management at the end of the game

SC-Coltsfan

This has probably already been mentioned, but maybe not. 

There was 2:01 left in the game and the Bears had one timeout left. I was very surprised we didn't return the kickoff to essentially burn the 2 minute warning timeout that the Bears were then able to use. In the end, we got a first down, so it didn't matter this time. However, had we not gotten the first down, the Bears could have had over a minute to play with opposed to maybe 25 seconds had they only had their one timeout.

14 minutes ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

There was 2:01 left in the game and the Bears had one timeout left. I was very surprised we didn't return the kickoff to essentially burn the 2 minute warning timeout that the Bears were then able to use. In the end, we got a first down, so it didn't matter this time. However, had we not gotten the first down, the Bears could have had over a minute to play with opposed to maybe 25 seconds had they only had their one timeout.

Announcers brought this up as well. Could have easily cost us, and we're lucky it didn't.

Yeah I mentioned it in the other thread but I thought it was one of the worst coaching blunders I have ever seen.  It didn't turn out to cost them but how, as an NFL head coach, can you NOT tell your return guys to field the kick even if it is in the endzone, run out, kill the few seconds it takes to do that, and then slide down before getting hit to avoid a fumble.  I mean this is so so basic.  You would coach that at any high school or college, let alone the pros.   That way even if Chicago stops them and forces a punt, at most they would have maybe 7-10 seconds left after the punt.  I was screaming at the tv to make sure they run the ball out so when he took a knee I just stared in shock. 

When I see things like that I really wonder how it is that certain coaches actually make it to the level that some do.  It was just so utterly stupid.  I hope he gets roasted for this big time.  I have seen lots of red flags from SS this year other than this as well.  He goes for it a lot on 4th or doesn't kick the fg when needed.  Goes for 2 points way too early.  Runs a very simple offense, pretty much Frank Reich 2.0, despite being known as an offensive guru.   Not seeing any progress with AR either.  Also don't like the way that he doesn't seem to get after his players for mistakes that they make.

Last year I was very positive on SS but that optimism is fading fast. 

I’m guessing it just got lost in the chaos of the moment (I’m sure the coaching staff were focused way more on keeping the defense from their biggest letdown yet than they were on a kickoff,) but luckily it didn’t cost us. 

I bet that sequence becomes a point of emphasis for the 31 other teams around the league this week, just to say “let’s not make this same mistake if we find ourselves in a similar situation at some point.”

• Like 1

The sequence was kinda funny. So Paye got injured, so they put in Franklin on special teams coverage. He was lined up wrong and when the sideline told him to line up correctly he almost ran off the field. Finally Shane tried to call a timeout but the refs didn’t hear or see him. It was a chaotic mess there lol.

1 hour ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

Coaches mismanage time around the two minute warning all the time. I don't get it. 

In this case, it's possible the Colts prioritized minimizing the risk of a turnover on a kick return, and didn't want a half effort return which would sacrifice field position, which is understandable. 

49 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Paid millions of dollars and cant even handle time management lol. 

Lots of NFL coaches don’t handle clock management well.  Harbaugh was notoriously bad a. Long time ago.   It’s easier if you’re in the booth….  Much harder when you’re on the sidelines.