Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Move - The aftermath (Final episode)

CR91

For the fact so many people were sad/mad over this move and complained about the way we did it, I would prefer to have our own separate ROH, greatest players, and team accomplishments just for the Indianapolis Colts. What happened in Baltimore can stay in Baltimore, Baltimore isn't Indianapolis. I am content with what we have accomplished here in Indianapolis which begin in 1984.

Since 1984-2023: 40 seasons here as Indianapolis.

Division Championships - 11 = 1987 (AFC East), 1999 (AFC East), 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014.

AFC Final 4 Appearances - 5 = 1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014.

AFC SB Appearances - 2 = 2006, 2009.

SB Championships - 1 = 2006.

Great players that have played in Indianapolis:

QB's

1. Peyton Manning 

2. Andrew Luck 

3. Jim Harbaugh (had 1 great season but it was important)

RB's

1. Edge James

2. Eric Dickerson

3. Marshall Faulk

4. Jonathan Taylor

WR's

1. Marvin Harrison

2. Reggie Wayne

3. T.Y. Hilton

TE's

1. Dallas Clark

2. Ken Dilger

O.Lineman we have had

1. Chris Hinton - OT/OG (could play either side)

2. Jeff Saturday - C

3. Quenton Nelson - LOG

4. Tarik Glenn - LOT

5. Tony Castonzo - LOT

D.Line we have had

1. Dwight Freeney - DE

2. Robert Mathis - DE

3. DeForest Buckner - DT

4. Tony Siragusa - DT

LB's

1. Darius (Shaq) Leonard - OLB

2. Gary Brackett - MLB

3. Duane Bickett - OLB

3. Cato June - OLB (underrated, he had some key INT's in his day)

CB's

1. Vontae Davis - RCB

2. Ray Buchanan - LCB

3. Kelvin Hayden - LCB

Safeties

1. Bob Sanders - SS

2. Antoine Bethea - Mainly FS/some SS

Punters

1. Pat McAfee

2. Rohn Stark 

Kickers

1. Adam Vinatieri

Head Coaches

1. Tony Dungy

2. Ted Marchibroda

GM's

1. Bill Polian - Still should have never given up on the undefeated season in 2009 but he built a hell of a team here!

Owners

1. Jim Irsay

As far as returning Punts and Kicks

1. Clarence Verdin was the best ever here.

I will put this 40-year resume against any other franchise and come out OK. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

• Like 3

I'm kinda surprised they didn't mention the Dickerson trade. While it didn't end well, that was the first superstar the colts had when they came to Indianapolis 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm kinda surprised they didn't mention the Dickerson trade. While it didn't end well, that was the first superstar the colts had when they came to Indianapolis 

That put us on the map. We won the Division in 1987 after getting him and he won the Rushing Title in 1988. That Halloween Monday Night game was the most unreal thing I have seen. It was like watching someone play Tecmo Bowl and they just kept running Dickerson lmao .

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That put us on the map. We won the Division in 1987 after getting him and he won the Rushing Title in 1988. That Halloween Monday Night game was the most unreal thing I have seen. It was like watching someone play Tecmo Bowl and they just kept running Dickerson lmao .

I've seen the highlights. Dickerson was JT before JT. Just a greyhound you couldn't catch in the openfield

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CR91 said:

I've seen the highlights. Dickerson was JT before JT. Just a greyhound you couldn't catch in the openfield

Dickerson ran standing tall, and was so smooth he looked like he was dogging it, but the guys in pursuit just kept falling further 

behind.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For the fact so many people were sad/mad over this move and complained about the way we did it, I would prefer to have our own separate ROH, greatest players, and team accomplishments just for the Indianapolis Colts. What happened in Baltimore can stay in Baltimore, Baltimore isn't Indianapolis. I am content with what we have accomplished here in Indianapolis which begin in 1984.

Division Championships - 11 = 1987 (AFC East), 1999 (AFC East), 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014.

QB's

1. Peyton Manning 

2. Andrew Luck 

RB's

1. Edge James

2. Eric Dickerson

3. Marshall Faulk

4. Jonathan Taylor

WR's

1. Marvin Harrison

2. Reggie Wayne

3. T.Y. Hilton

TE's

1. Dallas Clark

2. Ken Dilger

O.Lineman we have had

2. Jeff Saturday - C

3. Quenton Nelson - LOG

4. Tarik Glenn - LOT

5. Tony Castonzo - LOT

D.Line we have had

1. Dwight Freeney - DE

2. Robert Mathis - DE

3. DeForest Buckner - DT

4. Tony Siragusa - DT

LB's

2. Gary Brackett - MLB

3. Duane Bickett - OLB

CB's

1. Vontae Davis - RCB

2. Ray Buchanan - LCB

3. Kelvin Hayden - LCB

Safeties

1. Bob Sanders - SS

Punters

1. Pat McAfee

2. Rohn Stark 

Kickers

1. Adam Vinatieri

Head Coaches

1. Tony Dungy

2. Ted Marchibroda

GM's

1. Bill Polian - Still should have never given up on the undefeated season in 2009 but he built a hell of a team here!

Owners

1. Jim Irsay

I will put this 40-year resume against any other franchise and come out OK. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

Disagree on this take. Doesn't sound fair to the many great "Colts" players from the Baltimore era. Sad they get kind of lost in the shuffle with an asterisk. Were never "Ravens" players and forgotten as Colts. Nah, don't like it even with the way the move went down. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

QB's

1. Peyton Manning 

2. Andrew Luck 

RB's

1. Edge James

2. Eric Dickerson

3. Marshall Faulk

4. Jonathan Taylor

WR's

1. Marvin Harrison

2. Reggie Wayne

3. T.Y. Hilton

TE's

1. Dallas Clark

2. Ken Dilger

O.Lineman we have had

2. Jeff Saturday - C

3. Quenton Nelson - LOG

4. Tarik Glenn - LOT

5. Tony Castonzo - LOT

D.Line we have had

1. Dwight Freeney - DE

2. Robert Mathis - DE

3. DeForest Buckner - DT

4. Tony Siragusa - DT

LB's

2. Gary Brackett - MLB

3. Duane Bickett - OLB

CB's

1. Vontae Davis - RCB

2. Ray Buchanan - LCB

3. Kelvin Hayden - LCB

Safeties

1. Bob Sanders - SS

Punters

1. Pat McAfee

2. Rohn Stark 

Kickers

1. Adam Vinatieri

Head Coaches

1. Tony Dungy

2. Ted Marchibroda

GM's

Owners

1. Jim Irsay

Polian was great but it helped he had Peyton for all of his tenure. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Disagree on this take. Doesn't sound fair to the many great "Colts" players from the Baltimore era. Sad they get kind of lost in the shuffle with an asterisk. Were never "Ravens" players and forgotten as Colts. Nah, don't like it even with the way the move went down. 

That is a fair take but when Johnny Unitas said he didn't want anything to do with Indianapolis and all the records he accomplished should stay in Baltimore, that was the wrong answer for me. Johnny Unitas is in my top 5 QBs of all-time but he disrespected the city of Indianapolis. 

I've been a Colts fan for almost 60 years, I loved them Baltimore and in Indianapolis. Just a plain  Colts fan. I lived in WV for most of my life and would root for this team no matter where they are(except California) I think all the records and such should stay with the team. Go Colts:lecture:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

you can get good flights for wv to California. There are worst places to watch the team (I am from wv as well but only a Colts fan for only about  58 years.

I live in Jax FL now, may go to the game down here, representing the blue of course.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

How many players from the Baltimore Colts are in the Ring of Honor?

If I had to guess Unitas, Berry, Lenny Moore, Buddy Young, Jim Parker, Gino, Art Donovan, and Mackey. Maybe Bert Jones.

@Superman, here is the list -

Colts Ring of Honor:

Robert Irsay

Bill Polian

Tony Dungy

Ted Marchibroda

Peyton Manning

Jim Harbaugh

Marvin Harrison 

Reggie Wayne

Bill Brooks

Edge James

Eric Dickerson

Marshall Faulk

Dallas Clark

Chris Hinton

Tarik Glenn

Jeff Saturday

Dwight Freeney

Robert Mathis

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@Superman, here is the list -

Colts Ring of Honor:

Robert Irsay

Bill Polian

Tony Dungy

Ted Marchibroda

Peyton Manning

Jim Harbaugh

Marvin Harrison 

Reggie Wayne

Bill Brooks

Edge James

Eric Dickerson

Marshall Faulk

Dallas Clark

Chris Hinton

Tarik Glenn

Jeff Saturday

Dwight Freeney

Robert Mathis

Oh, so most of their history did stay in Baltimore, and has been acknowledged by the Ravens, right?

Just now, Superman said:

Oh, so most of their history did stay in Baltimore, and has been acknowledged by the Ravens, right?

Seems like it. I am ok with it too, but many aren't. I understand because some people grew up watching Johnny Unitas and Bert Jones. 

16 hours ago, Superman said:

If that's the case, why keep so many jersey numbers retired?

1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Didn’t they All wear a Horseshoe-adorned helmet?

In all honesty, the only ones that really care about the move are those old enough to even remember the Baltimore Colts. Ravens have a rich history already with multiple championships and constantly in contention every year. Just like how we "stole" their team, they stole the Browns. Let sleeping dogs lie 

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

In all honesty, the only ones that really care about the move are those old enough to even remember the Baltimore Colts. Ravens have a rich history already with multiple championships and constantly in contention every year. Just like how we "stole" their team, they stole the Browns. Let sleeping dogs lie 

Agree, but as a fan of both versions of the Colts, I hate to see the old greats tossed into the dustbin of history.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

If that's the case, why keep so many jersey numbers retired?

Maybe that's a better question than what I asked. How many Baltimore Colts have their numbers retired by the Indianapolis Colts?

I could look all this up, just figured I'd ask some of the people who take the Baltimore history more seriously.

Just now, Superman said:

Maybe that's a better question than what I asked. How many Baltimore Colts have their numbers retired by the Indianapolis Colts?

I could look all this up, just figured I'd ask some of the people who take the Baltimore history more seriously.

Everyone I listed

6 hours ago, TheNewGuy said:

I am a Colts fan period. I root for the team, not the city where they play. If they moved again, I would still be a Colts fan.

Yeah, I have no ties to Baltimore or Indy, so it's not a topic that I'm particularly invested in. Still, I know it's a huge deal to people from those cities, or who were around when the move happened. I haven't even listened to this podcast series, maybe I will at some point.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Agree, but as a fan of both versions of the Colts, I hate to see the old greats tossed into the dustbin of history.

No one is saying forget them, but those that still have hurt feelings need to let it go.

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Everyone I listed

The Ravens have those players in their RoH. I don't think they officially retire any numbers, though.

The only Indy Colt whose number has been officially retired is Peyton. So I guess the Colts retiring those Baltimore numbers is their way of honoring the Baltimore history. It doesn't really take anything away from Baltimore, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Ravens have those players in their RoH. I don't think they officially retire any numbers, though.

The only Indy Colt whose number has been officially retired is Peyton. So I guess the Colts retiring those Baltimore numbers is their way of honoring the Baltimore history. It doesn't really take anything away from Baltimore, IMO.

I don't think so. Steve Smith wore 89

On 7/17/2024 at 12:19 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is a fair take but when Johnny Unitas said he didn't want anything to do with Indianapolis and all the records he accomplished should stay in Baltimore, that was the wrong answer for me. Johnny Unitas is in my top 5 QBs of all-time but he disrespected the city of Indianapolis. 

Bob Irsay disrespected him by not informing him of the trade to San Diego ahead of time , as agreed to. Unitas didn’t hate Indy, but he wasn’t going to pretend he played for the Indianapolis Colts when he never played a snap in that city. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2024 at 1:00 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

QB's

1. Peyton Manning 

2. Andrew Luck 

RB's

1. Edge James

2. Eric Dickerson

3. Marshall Faulk

4. Jonathan Taylor

WR's

1. Marvin Harrison

2. Reggie Wayne

3. T.Y. Hilton

TE's

1. Dallas Clark

2. Ken Dilger

O.Lineman we have had

2. Jeff Saturday - C

3. Quenton Nelson - LOG

4. Tarik Glenn - LOT

5. Tony Castonzo - LOT

D.Line we have had

1. Dwight Freeney - DE

2. Robert Mathis - DE

3. DeForest Buckner - DT

4. Tony Siragusa - DT

LB's

2. Gary Brackett - MLB

3. Duane Bickett - OLB

CB's

1. Vontae Davis - RCB

2. Ray Buchanan - LCB

3. Kelvin Hayden - LCB

Safeties

1. Bob Sanders - SS

Punters

1. Pat McAfee

2. Rohn Stark 

Kickers

1. Adam Vinatieri

Head Coaches

1. Tony Dungy

2. Ted Marchibroda

GM's

Owners

1. Jim Irsay

I totally agree with this. In Baltimore, we have the ROH for Baltimore Colts players, and the Unitas statue. We are prohibited from doing more due to Irsay , and the NFL, not allowing us to fly our Championship banners we rightfully won in our city.  

• Like 1

What I was surprised by they didn't mention how they told the players. Because the players we're going to have pack up and move to. The players at the time had to be spread out throughout the country respectfully. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

I totally agree with this. In Baltimore, we have the ROH for Baltimore Colts players, and the Unitas statue. We are prohibited from doing more due to Irsay , and the NFL, not allowing us to fly our Championship banners we rightfully won in our city.  

I do feel bad for the diehards that lived in Baltimore when this took place. That had to suck, 1 minute you have had a team for years, then all the sudden you guys witness the ol' Mayflower semi headed our way to Indy. Baltimore Colts had tons of great history, 2 NFL Championships = 1958, 1959, and a SB win in 1970. Johnny Unitas was regarded the GOAT by most until Montana came along.