Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Write Up On Raekwon Davis' Potential Impact

TheNewGuy

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Thank you. This defensive line has top 5 potential. I really hope to see a rotation of fresh guys getting after the ball all game. Should prove to be extremely difficult for OLs later in games.  

I feel the same.  The Colts return a defensive line that had 4 players with 8 or more sacks and hopefully a full season from Grover, just say no Grove...lol.  Then the additions of Latu, Davis, and re-sign of Smith...ahhh the possibilities. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Thank you. This defensive line has top 5 potential. I really hope to see a rotation of fresh guys getting after the ball all game. Should prove to be extremely difficult for OLs later in games.  

As a hockey fan, I really do look forward to seeing how a line change that Ballard and Dodds have touched on works. If they can sub an entire line in and out without much change in performance, this d-line will be wrecking o-lines in every 4th quarter throughout the season.

Combine that with an explosive run game and offense that can wear defenses down, and we will win most of battles of attrition, which will get more and more in depth as the season progresses. A little luck (never a pun intended) especially with health could put this team in position to be dangerous in the postseason. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

As a hockey fan, I really do look forward to seeing how a line change that Ballard and Dodds have touched on works. If they can sub an entire line in and out without much change in performance, this d-line will be wrecking o-lines in every 4th quarter throughout the season.

Combine that with an explosive run game and offense that can wear defenses down, and we will win most of battles of attrition, which will get more and more in depth as the season progresses. A little luck (never a pun intended) especially with health could put this team in position to be dangerous in the postseason. 

I think the line changes will be the same as last season, except adding in the new guys (Davis and Latu).   But those two should be an upgrade.  

I agree that Davis is a key add.  The drop off from when Grove is out should be a ton less damaging.  Bryan was out of position and it was obvious he couldn’t fill Grove’s shoes.  

With our uncertainty in the D backfield, the Dline better be what we expect.  

• Like 2

I really like this signing, and for reasons I have not seen discussed.

A key reason, is how he can help the Colts in 4th and short, and goal line defense. In the those critical defensive moments, I can see a grouping where Grover and Raekwon are both inside, and D-Buck slides out wider . That makes a stout group of men to displace on an interior run.  This type of subtle, yet meaningful option, could change a game outcome in the Colts favor.

Another is the change from a 2-Gap anchor & shed, to a 1-Gap push & pursuit.  I think he takes to the style and thrives.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Douzer said:

I really like this signing, and for reasons I have not seen discussed.

A key reason, is how he can help the Colts in 4th and short, and goal line defense. In the those critical defensive moments, I can see a grouping where Grover and Raekwon are both inside, and D-Buck slides out wider . That makes a stout group of men to displace on an interior run.  This type of subtle, yet meaningful option, could change a game outcome in the Colts favor.

Another is the change from a 2-Gap anchor & shed, to a 1-Gap push & pursuit.  I think he takes to the style and thrives.

Funny, I was thinking the same in regards to 3rd and short and goal line after I posted this.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2024 at 3:23 AM, TheNewGuy said:

This has been discussed a little and I am of the belief that Davis will be a very solid idl addition off the bench.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/how-this-free-agent-signing-could-impact-the-colts/ar-BB1p53wP?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=5bdfd423fcee441197fb3f6c30d5f4f2&ei=44

Davis had a very good rookie season after being drafted in the 2nd round out of Ohio State (I believe).   Graded in the 70’s against both the run and pass.   

But his last three years have been disappointing, as he’s graded in the mid-50’s.

The reason I’m so interested in this signing, is (A) I’m sure it was heavily influenced by the new DL coach, Partridge.   And (B) we’re paying him 2/14.  I don’t recall that kind of money ever being given to a basic backup before.   Don’t think Davis is here to push Stewart, the Colts just signed him to 3/39.  That tells me the Colts defensive staff sees him differently.   I don’t know what the plan the staff has come up with for Davis, but I’m looking forward to watching it play out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Davis had a very good rookie season after being drafted in the 2nd round out of Ohio State (I believe).   Graded in the 70’s against both the run and pass.   

But his last three years have been disappointing, as he’s graded in the mid-50’s.

The reason I’m so interested in this signing, is (A) I’m sure it was heavily influenced by the new DL coach, Partridge.   And (B) we’re paying him 2/14.  I don’t recall that kind of money ever being given to a basic backup before.   Don’t think Davis is here to push Stewart, the Colts just signed him to 3/39.  That tells me the Colts defensive staff sees him differently.   I don’t know what the plan the staff has come up with for Davis, but I’m looking forward to watching it play out. 

Davis came from Alabama. My point of interest as the writer highlighted is he is moving from being a 2 gapper into now only being responsible for a single gap with a lot more penetration from him versus read and react. With his length and power at 6ft 7 300 plus the expectation for him in our scheme is he will be more disruptive. A much more reliable option for us if Grover goes down in addition to whatever else maybe we can do with him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you for your response and thank you for enlightening myself regarding Partridge. I recall his signing but didn't know much about him until I joined this forum and read several of your posts speaking highly of him. Thank you!  I have researched him since then and have to agree with you, it is likely that his fingerprints were on this signing.

Davis' contract is such that there is no guaranteed money in his 2nd year, with a cap savings of nearly 6.5 million, so there is an out if needed. https://overthecap.com/player/raekwon-davis/8796

I have to think that his main responsibility is as Grover's back up...we all saw how much he was missed last season. Though, this is where Partridge comes in, there may be additional duties. One thing that struck me was when Partridge said (paraphrased) "that he could get Grover some more sacks.". Does that mean he plans to alter the DL scheme, and if so, could the same benefit apply to Davis? Not to mention @Douzer's thoughts of using both Davis and Grover on 3rd and short plus goal line situations...like you said, I am looking forward to watching it play out as well.

• Thanks 1