Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[JT O'Sullivan] 2024 NFL Draft QB Rankings

I just don't get the love for J.J. McCarthy. I get it, his team won the National Championship but he has Mac Jones written all over him. Penix team lost to his but if I had to choose between Penix and McCarthy, I would take Penix in a NY second. I like Bo Nix better than McCarthy too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just don't get the love for J.J. McCarthy. I get it, his team won the National Championship but he has Mac Jones written all over him. Penix team lost to his but if I had to choose between Penix and McCarthy, I would take Penix in a NY second. I like Bo Nix better than McCarthy too. 

Vikings are reported as willing to give up 3 first round picks (2 this year and one next year) to get him. I want to stay put.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Vikings are reported as willing to give up 3 first round picks (2 this year and one next year) to get him. I want to stay put.

Please don't do it Vikings. You need to call them and set them straight lol. Even if you are not a fan of Penix, Bo Nix would be better for you. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In a certain way he has a bit of Mac Jones/Cousins in his game meaning - he is supposed to be high level game manager who executes the offense, throws on time and is overall accurate and consistent with his ball placement. What might separate him is that he actually might be a much better athlete than Mac Jones and he has some hidden potential that was not realized on Michigan... they just didn't need him to do more so ... he just executed. If you watch some of his highlights you can actually see his mobility and ability to navigate the pocket at a pretty good level as well as make plays on the move. 

He is also receiving glowing reviews from meetings with NFL teams. They just love his leadership and attitude. NFL teams think the guy is special and has the personality to lead a team. They also like that he's a winner ... for whatever that is worth. 

I guess we will see in due time how he pans out... for whatever it's worth those Vikings rumors make a lot of sense when you consider who was their QB the last few years... and if you can imagine that he can pretty easily integrate into that type of offense... and then hopefully even provide some more playmaking with time then he might be worth the high pick?! 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

In a certain way he has a bit of Mac Jones/Cousins in his game meaning - he is supposed to be high level game manager who executes the offense, throws on time and is overall accurate and consistent with his ball placement. What might separate him is that he actually might be a much better athlete than Mac Jones and he has some hidden potential that was not realized on Michigan... they just didn't need him to do more so ... he just executed. If you watch some of his highlights you can actually see his mobility and ability to navigate the pocket at a pretty good level as well as make plays on the move. 

He is also receiving glowing reviews from meetings with NFL teams. They just love his leadership and attitude. NFL teams think the guy is special and has the personality to lead a team. They also like that he's a winner ... for whatever that is worth. 

I guess we will see in due time how he pans out... for whatever it's worth those Vikings rumors make a lot of sense when you consider who was their QB the last few years... and if you can imagine that he can pretty easily integrate into that type of offense... and then hopefully even provide some more playmaking with time then he might be worth the high pick?! 

Leadership goes a long way. That is where we all have a disadvantage = interviewing these guys. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Leadership goes a long way. That is where we all have a disadvantage = interviewing these guys. 

Leadership without being able to execute throws at every part of the field like Penix Jr. can just means he is worth a Round 1 pick but Top 3, nah!!! The top 3 teams should stay away from J J McCarthy, nothing dynamic about his game. 

In fact, Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels are the 2 most dynamic QBs in the draft, IMO. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tom Cruise 80S GIF

I enjoyed it immensely.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can't ignore the 2 pick sixes he threw vs TCU at the biggest stage "the year before" the year that his team won the national championship. His arm strength is limited and he doesn't have a feel for anticipation that Penix Jr. has. When he tries to gun it, bad things happen because that is not his game.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

I like that. And he is younger than most of the other QBs. However, I do not want to give up next year's #1 for him.

35 minutes ago, stitches said:

I guess we will see in due time how he pans out... for whatever it's worth those Vikings rumors make a lot of sense when you consider who was their QB the last few years...

I hope he is better than Cousins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I like that. And he is younger than most of the other QBs. However, I do not want to give up next year's #1 for him.

Captain Kirk GIF by Star Trek- I hope the Vikings make the right decision. They have always been a team I like for many reasons. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

You won’t find out how good or not good McCarthy is for at least 3-4 years.  Hope you’re patient.   

Honestly, that’s the message I have for fans of every team that picks a QB up high.   The success is not always apparent early on.   And yes, I include the Colts.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stitches said:

Thank you for sharing. Do you know why JT is unable to use videos from YouTube? He said something about not being able to use videos anymore. Does he have to pay for them?

I like O'Sullivan a lot and I appreciate his breakdown of videos. It is disappointing that he cannot use them.

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you for sharing. Do you know why JT is unable to use videos from YouTube? He said something about not being able to use videos anymore. Does he have to pay for them?

I like O'Sullivan a lot and I appreciate his breakdown of videos. It is disappointing that he cannot use them.

No idea but they probably have been hitting him with claims for the rights of the videos. :dunno:

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, stitches said:

No idea but they probably have been hitting him with claims for the rights of the videos. :dunno:

Either rights claims, or college teams beefing about all 22 film... There's a weird underground with college tape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I subscribe to his Patreon for a month at a time, here and there. It's worth a few bucks, and he has full game breakdowns there. If the Vikings draft a QB, I'd recommend checking it out for a short period of time to see what you're getting. IMO, there's no one better than JT.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Superman said:

I subscribe to his Patreon for a month at a time, here and there. It's worth a few bucks, and he has full game breakdowns there. If the Vikings draft a QB, I'd recommend checking it out for a short period of time to see what you're getting. IMO, there's no one better than JT.

I appreciate his work a lot.

I could see the Colts taking Milton in round 5 or 6

I think he has potential to be number 2 QB on the Colts in a year or two

He looks and moves like a carbon copy of AR

He could learn from Flacco  and from holding a clipboard

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 12:43 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When Harbaugh has him as the best qb coming out of college, you better listen. Sure the stats are not there, but there is a lot to love. I don't think Harbaugh is the type of guy just to  blow smoke because he coached him in college. We all know Harbaugh, and he is a different duck but very intense. If McCarty was trash and/or just average, I doubt Harbaugh would talk him up. By saying what he has said, Harbaugh is putting his reputation on the when it comes to evaluating qb talent if McCarthy busts out.

On 4/8/2024 at 7:00 PM, NewColtsFan said:

You won’t find out how good or not good McCarthy is for at least 3-4 years.  Hope you’re patient.   

Honestly, that’s the message I have for fans of every team that picks a QB up high.   The success is not always apparent early on.   And yes, I include the Colts.  

I  think people may see him as a project because of the lack on reliance on his as a qb at Michigan. He is not raw, he was just not asked to do a lot but when he was, he excelled. That's kind of how Harbaugh builds his teams. Heavy on the run and strength on the lines. He likes to physically beat the opposing into submission.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

When Harbaugh has him as the best qb coming out of college, you better listen. Sure the stats are not there, but there is a lot to love. I don't think Harbaugh is the type of guy just to  blow smoke because he coached him in college. We all know Harbaugh, and he is a different duck but very intense. If McCarty was trash and/or just average, I doubt Harbaugh would talk him up. By saying what he has said, Harbaugh is putting his reputation on the when it comes to evaluating qb talent if McCarthy busts out.

I don't think McCarthy is trash, but he is not worthy of a 1st Round pick IMO. 5 QB's that are clearly better are Williams who I am not even high on, Daniels, Maye, Penix Jr, and Bo Nix.

Harbaugh is one of my favorite Colts players of all-time. My mom adores him, I got his autograph at a game, and he was cool to talk too. Didn't ignore me or anything when I came up too him but McCarthy was Harbaugh's QB so he is going to hype him up. You know why Michigan beat Washington, they ran the ball for nearly 300 yards and controlled the Line of scrimmage. McCarthy just didn't mess it up as that was his job. McCarthy had the role of Tommie Frazier (1995 Nebraska), let running game and Line destroy you, while I don't turn the ball over and make 1 or 2 spectacular plays to help our team win. 

McCarthy = Mac Jones, Jones isn't trash but average at best. I would gamble and take him in the 2nd Round like Tennessee did with Levis just in case he does pan out. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If McCarthy busts. Harbaugh reputation will be just fine. 

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think McCarthy is trash, but he is not worthy of a 1st Round pick IMO. 5 QB's that are clearly better are Williams who I am not even high on, Daniels, Maye, Penix Jr, and Bo Nix.

Harbaugh is one of my favorite Colts players of all-time. My mom adores him, I got his autograph at a game, and he was cool to talk too. Didn't ignore me or anything when I came up too him but McCarthy was Harbaugh's QB so he is going to hype him up. You know why Michigan beat Washington, they ran the ball for nearly 300 yards and controlled the Line of scrimmage. McCarthy just didn't mess it up as that was his job. McCarthy had the role of Tommie Frazier (1995 Nebraska), let running game and Line destroy you, while I don't turn the ball over and make 1 or 2 spectacular plays to help our team win. 

McCarthy = Mac Jones, Jones isn't trash but average at best. I would gamble and take him in the 2nd Round like Tennessee did with Levis just in case he does pan out. 

What sunk Jones is his intangibles rather than the physical ability to play the position. McCarthy has off the charts intangibles but limited film on playing the qb because they were such a dominant run and defensive team.

On 4/8/2024 at 3:19 PM, chad72 said:

I can't ignore the 2 pick sixes he threw vs TCU at the biggest stage "the year before" the year that his team won the national championship. His arm strength is limited and he doesn't have a feel for anticipation that Penix Jr. has. When he tries to gun it, bad things happen because that is not his game.

At the end of the day, the qbs success in this draft will be dependant on what team they go to. Does that team have great coaching and will they  the fit the offence around  that qb. Sean Payton as does Minneaota want a specific qb based on the head coaches and where they learned their scheme. I believe Minny coach and Payton prefer the west coach approach. They want accuracy and anticipation. So a guy like Maye is someone who they would never even consider. It's all about the fit. McCarthy could intrigue teams as I belwive he played under center and if u can be coached by Harbaugh, the would be a plus. I would gather that Harbaugh is very demanding snd would run pro concepts