Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

Just now, w87r said:

I don't even take Tylenol anymore. Probably going to Lala land for a while? Im a big guy(6'3" 240), almost an hour in, and don't feel much, supposed to take another one in at 12:30. Procedure at 1. Guess we will see.

Halicon or something like that. Supposed to make me sleepy? 

I just wanted to actually be put out. I hate being awake during dental work.

6'3 240, you need to take Shaq's spot at LB :thmup:. Hopefully everything went well. I am 5'8 180, if I was a RB I would avoid you lmao . When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, they gave me Vicodin. You are only supposed to take 1 at a time, I took 2 after the procedure because I didn't think 1 would kill the pain. I was 35 years old at the time. After I took 2, I was damn near hallucinating seeing goofy crap because I had never had any pain pills in my life haha . I felt great though homer simpson GIF

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

6'3 240, you need to take Shaq's spot at LB :thmup:. Hopefully everything went well. I am 5'8 180, if I was a RB I would avoid you lmao . When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, they gave me Vicodin. You are only supposed to take 1 at a time, I took 2 after the procedure because I didn't think 1 would kill the pain. I was 35 years old at the time. After I took 2, I was damn near hallucinating seeing goofy crap because I had never had any pain pills in my life haha . I felt great though homer simpson GIF

Dang bro. You're in good shape!

I'm 5'8 but have lost a few steps, and before I knew it I'm at 220! Going to have to pick running back up and get back under 200!

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Dang bro. You're in good shape!

I'm 5'8 but have lost a few steps, and before I knew it I'm at 220! Going to have to pick running back up and get back under 200!

My WT fluctuates a lot from 180-200. I am back down to 183 last time I weighed myself. I have been as high as 225. That in Mike Tyson material haha . but it wasn't all muscle. All my fat goes to my belly and face when I gain weight. My arms and legs are all muscle. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was already messing with my wife 

Heard her coming down stairs, I tilted my back and acted like I was out cold.

Then was walking around and acted like it hit me all of sudden and crashed out on couch 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

But yeah, besides that stuff I try to stay away from pain medication. I come from a long line of family addicts ranging from alcohol to prescription meds to friggin' meth... It's always in the back of my mind even when taking excederin for my migraines... 

Yeah, I delved a little to hard back in the late 90's and had to just stop cold turkey. Easy access is always a problem.

Anyway, yeah I don't take anything. Occasionally a Tylenol or an antibiotic but I have to be in bad shape. Then still need an arm twist.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My WT fluctuates a lot from 180-200. I am back down to 183 last time I weighed myself. I have been as high as 225. That in Mike Tyson material haha . but it wasn't all muscle. All my fat goes to my belly and face when I gain weight. My arms and legs are all muscle. 

We have like the same body type. My legs and arms are also pure muscle, but I've got a double chin and a dad bod belly now. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think a lot of what people have been doing last few years has been excuses. Most of the teams in the league have their own set of setbacks and reasons why they should not be achieving great success. But this league doesn't wait for anybody... it's the Not For Long league. You either compete or you are left in the dust. And for the most time since Luck's retirement we've been in the dust. And it's on the GM to snap this team out of it and it's for him to point the ship in the general direction he thinks it needs to go. This includes all the personnel and player decisions... especially the QB decision. If Ballard wanted to draft a QB in 2020 or 2021 or 2022 he should have done it, despite what Reich wanted. Ultimately the buck has to stop with him when it comes to the personnel decisions on this team. 

I disagree.  The way this team is ran, the buck stops with Irsay, not  Ballard.  Irsay is the one that extended Reich.  Irsay is the one who extended both Grigson and Pagano.  Ballard could not fire Reich or changed the ship's course until Irsay was also on board.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I think there's a difference between making excuses and accepting things for what they are. 

I'm not happy about us not winning the division in years. Yeah I'm tired of it. But what can we do? Boycott the team until Ballard gets fired? 

Voice our opinions? It doesn't matter if it makes no difference. Go look on twitter. When Holder, Hicks and the others start making excuses for Ballard people are lining up to blast them. People are tired of it. Doesn't matter if we don't have any say in it, people will voice their opinions - because we're fans and we care.

I think this is essentially an evaluation year for AR. They'll probably give him an extra WR to increase the odds of success, but I don't expect more than that - I'm fine with it. We need to know what AR is. But, I don't think that's going to gel with a lot of fans and I really wouldn't be surprised if we start hearing "Fire Ballard" chants in Lucas Oil if we're not winning the division this season.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It gets worse as you get older. Wait until you turn 50. 

Yeah, my brother is getting close to 50 and he now regrets all the crazy things we did together in our youth. Turns out doing backflips at Perfect North Slopes comes back to bite you years later!

• Like 1

Yeah, my brother is getting close to 50 and he now regrets all the crazy things we did together in our youth. Turns out doing backflips at Perfect North Slopes comes back to bite you years later!

When I was in my 30's, I kept my WT around 170 which is little because I ran a lot, ran in the Mini - Marathon as well. I watched what I ate and would just drink once a week for the most part. Usually on football Sundays would be my cheat day. I am 52 now and have become soft in a way, back when I was in my 30's I thought I had something to prove when running regarding length and times. I will say this, running another marathon will never happen again with this fella haha . That damn near killed me and I was in phenomenal shape when I jogged/ran that 13.3 miles. I got my goal, I did it in 2 hours and my body hated me for it Season 4 Dancing GIF by The Simpsons 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stitches said:

You know what? I don't mind tha type of attitude from Zaire. IF WE HAD ACTUALLY ACHIEVED ANYTHING... like AT ALL!!! The Superbowl is indeed not won in March... but Zaire and the 10 other players Ballard re-signed have no leg to stand on and are in no position to be cocky or dismissive about the fans worrying about their team not having done enough in the off-season because we have watched that team be either complete % or % their pants in the most important games for the last 3 years... 

I think Zaire (and the other players on the roster) deserve more credit than this. It's more of the 'they don't care!!' stuff that I think is just misplaced frustration.

Here's what Zaire said after his extension:

"I understand sometimes re-signing your own is not as sexy as people want it to be," Franklin admitted. "But if you look at it objectively, you’ll see Kenny is the best nickel in the NFL, period. Grover, if not the best, one of the top nose tackles in the league. Pittman Jr., top No. 1 receivers in the league. Obviously, myself included. These are top players together and I think it means a lot for us to maintain and keep that in-house."

"That being said, it’s time for us to go get it now," Franklin stated. "All the other stuff aside, what’s most important is how you left and you left by wins and losses. That’s what matters.”

"I think at this point now, accolades aside, money aside, it’s time for us to put some banners up now," Franklin remarked. "It’s time for us to accomplish something. We’ve got to leave here with something other than good memories.” 

'Cocky and dismissive' is not how I'd describe his attitude. His tweet yesterday was snarky and defensive for obvious reasons, but his own words make it clear that he has higher expectations than what we've seen the last three years. And I'm sure that's a common sentiment among the rest of the team.

• Like 2

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When I was in my 30's, I kept my WT around 170 which is little because I ran a lot, ran in the Mini - Marathon as well. I watched what I ate and would just drink once a week for the most part. Usually on football Sundays would be my cheat day. I am 52 now and have become soft in a way, back when I was in my 30's I thought I had something to prove when running regarding length and times. I will say this, running another marathon will never happen again with this fella haha . That damn near killed me and I was in phenomenal shape when I jogged/ran that 13.3 miles. I got my goal, I did it in 2 hours and my body hated me for it Season 4 Dancing GIF by The Simpsons 

I've ran the mini once in my life and that was enough for me. I was 19, in the best shape of my life too. Used to run 5Ks in 16-18 minutes on average. I realized 13 miles was too much for my taste. I'm planning to start getting back into 5Ks though. Will probably have to walk the first one!

• Thanks 1

I've ran the mini once in my life and that was enough for me. I was 19, in the best shape of my life too. Used to run 5Ks in 16-18 minutes on average. I realized 13 miles was too much for my taste. I'm planning to start getting back into 5Ks though. Will probably have to walk the first one!

Yeah, if I tried to run 1 mile flat right now, I would never make it. When I trained for the Mini the 1 year I did it, I could run 1 mile in 6 minutes but would be out of gas. I used to do stuff like that just to see what my body could take. The pace I set myself when I ran back then was like a 9 minute mile over several miles. My mini number was right at a 9 minute jog/run.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think Zaire (and the other players on the roster) deserve more credit than this. It's more of the 'they don't care!!' stuff that I think is just misplaced frustration.

Here's what Zaire said after his extension:

'Cocky and dismissive' is not how I'd describe his attitude. His tweet yesterday was snarky and defensive for obvious reasons, but his own words make it clear that he has higher expectations than what we've seen the last three years. And I'm sure that's a common sentiment among the rest of the team.

I guess I agree with him then. I could have done without whatever you want to call that tweet yesterday... "snarky and defensive" or "cocky and dismissive". Want to say something about the fans wanting more of this team(because this is what he was commenting on)? Say it and show it on the field, because so far we are big on words and taking offense and not very big on actually delivering for those fans. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 1:41 PM, w87r said:

Dentist GIF by DrSquatchRockos Modern Life Animation GIF

Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV- The big guy is out of it. I have been there man. I hate the freaking dentist and there is nothing worse than a tooth ache. I once cracked a tooth and couldn't eat because of it. I had to eat mash potatoes and soup for like 3 days before that thing got pulled out. blockquote widget

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Lol. Colts fans have been spoiled rotten man... It's unreal. 

Spoiled rotten for wanting more than 0 division titles, 2 playoff appearance and one playoff win in 7 years? Really? I guess I'm spoiled rotten. Good to know others are OK with that sort of results. 

Am I taking crazy pills? What the hell are we talking about here? 

• Like 1

Just now, stitches said:

Spoiled rotten for wanting more than 0 division titles, 2 playoff appearance and one playoff win in 7 years? Really? I guess I'm spoiled rotten. Good to know others are OK with that sort of results. 

See, this is the kind of crap that starts the conversation down the wrong path.  As has been explained before, KNOWING and UNDERSTANDING the reasoning behind past results is far different than being OK  with those results.  If we're going to have any kind of healthy discussion that's not going to devolve into the usual bickering, then this kind of "putting words in other people's mouths" really needs to stop.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Good to know others are OK with that sort of results. 

I'm certainly not OK with the results, but again what the hell am I supposed to do? This is just some silly sport where big sweaty men hit each other. We really take this stuff way too seriously sometimes. 

And again this is where I say some people truly treat the team as their identity. So if the team fails it somehow negatively impacts their life. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

We are, I have been saying that for years haha . It is funny because going into last years game, people around my area thought it was a given we would beat Houston and win the Division. I was 50/50 on it but told my friends we don't have Peyton or Luck anymore. 

Peyton spoiled everyone because he made winning every Sunday look easy + we won a SB with him and started most seasons 7-0 or so, so by Thanksgiving the Division was over. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stitches said:

You guys know I'm Grigson biggest critic here. But you know what I would never crush him for - pursuing the right positions with top picks(Trent Richardson aside...). Grigson got TY Hilton. NONE of the receivers Ballard has gotten even sniff the impact TY had for this team. Grigson got Vontae Davis(rest in peace) for a second. NONE of the secondary players Ballard has ever gotten even sniff the impact Vontae had for this team. He also tried addressing other top tier positions with high picks - picked another receiver in the 1st and one more in the 3d in the years immediately AFTER he hit on TY Hilton, picked EDGE rusher in the 1st... Now... those didn't work... like almost all of his picks and he was truly awful evaluator of talent and deservedly got ousted... but can you see just how important hitting a homerun on FEW players at the most important positions is, compared to consistently hitting singles and doubles on the least important positions in football? Grigson pretty much hit big on 3 players in his entire tenure and those 3 players dragged his Colts teams to more wins and playoff appearances than anything master drafter and player evaluator Ballard has done so far. 

Okay, so my gut instinct is to push back HARD against this, for obvious reasons. So I stopped and paused and read it again, and I've let it sink in, and I've read your subsequent posts. I get what you're saying. I still strongly disagree.

Bottom line, what Grigson had was Andrew Luck. A franchise level QB who raised the tide for the entire operation. The one year Ballard had Andrew Luck -- not even at 100%, and probably being held back for the first half of the season -- the team looked just as capable as any of the 2012-14 teams looked. And I'd stack up the 2019-2021 rosters with those teams as well.

I'll give him some credit for recognizing the moment after 2012. He did a terrible job of rising to it, though. His big move was trading a first for a RB, so it's not like he was especially focused on premium positions either. Outside of Luck, Hilton (third rounder, not a top pick, Ballard has done just as much and more at WR), and Davis (second rounder, again Ballard has done just as much), everything Grigson tried was an abject failure, and his ineptitude was papered over by having a great QB. 

1 minute ago, Jason_ said:

See, this is the kind of crap that starts the conversation down the wrong path.  As has been explained before, KNOWING and UNDERSTANDING the reasoning behind past results is far different than being OK  with those results.  If we're going to have any kind of healthy discussion that's not going to devolve into the usual bickering, then this kind of "putting words in other people's mouths" really needs to stop.

Is calling others "spoiled rotten" for wanting better results than what Ballard's Colts have achieved productive to the conversation? Why would you call not just one person but Colts fans in general "spoiled rotten" for wanting more of their team? To me this sounds exactly like what someone who is OK with those results will say? If wanting more is "spoiled rotten" then what would qualify as "not spoiled rotten"?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Am I taking crazy pills? What the hell are we talking about here? 

“big on saying words, not big on delivering.” 

Yeah, you are spoiled to the point of complaining about players on a forum board. Complaining about results, a year removed from a rookie head coach being one or two plays away from a division title with a backup qb… knowing that our top 5 freakish qb is going to start this season (the first time a qb has started consecutive seasons in our GM’s 8 year career.) 

We are spoiled that most here don’t even recognize it. Look around the league. All you see is what you think we should be, and all I’m saying is it could (and probably should be) a lot worse. We haven’t had consecutive “bad” years in an entire generation of fans. Think about that, and then google what other fanbases have gone through. Seriously…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

Actually this is what starts it down the wrong path:

If you call people spoiled you better expect backlash.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'm certainly not OK with the results, but again what the hell am I supposed to do? This is just some silly sport where big sweaty men hit each other. We really take this stuff way too seriously sometimes. 

And again this is where I say some people truly treat the team as their identity. So if the team fails it somehow negatively impacts their life. 

Just... not be OK with it if you are not OK with it. You don't have to actively do anything, but feel the way you feel... and if you want to, express yourself on the board you are posting on :dunno:

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 12:47 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This tweet has me thinking colts players are ok with mediocrity because they know Ballard is going to overpay them to keep them here.

And he still has done nothing.

Perhaps it’s the players believing they can get the job done. They are basically bringing back every starter and I’m sure those guys want to get it done. Shane Steichen said he believes in continuity. For the most part the coach is getting what he wanted. Only slight changes to the staff and roster for the team to go into year two and improve around their quasi rookie QB. I still think there will be another starter or two from the draft by end of next season. I’m actually enjoying watching this team come back mostly intact. They exceeded our expectations last year and I’m hoping they do it again this year. This is going to be fun. 

Just now, Solid84 said:

I’m fine with the backlash. I’ll argue it all day. We have been spoiled like none other. The only ones that don’t see it (throughout the entire league by the way) are the ones complaining about being average on the Colts.com forum. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stitches said:

I guess I agree with him then. I could have done without whatever you want to call that tweet yesterday... "snarky and defensive" or "cocky and dismissive". Want to say something about the fans wanting more of this team(because this is what he was commenting on)? Say it and show it on the field, because so far we are big on words and taking offense and not very big on actually delivering for those fans. 

Okay, but is your stance that the reason the Colts haven't had more success on the field is because players like Franklin haven't brought it enough on game day? Don't we all agree that the reason we haven't seen more success is because the roster needs some specific improvements, especially at QB? 

Yeah, his tweet had a lot of attitude to it, but it's also probably unfair to blame his attitude -- or any other player -- for the Colts' lack of success. His actual perspective is obviously much more aligned with what you want and expect. Which, by the way, is why the 'people are okay with these results' angle is so unnecessary. Every single person who follows the Colts, including the players, wants the Colts to have more success than we've seen recently. This talking point is silly.

• Like 1

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

I’m fine with the backlash. I’ll argue it all day. We have been spoiled like none other. The only ones that don’t see it (throughout the entire league by the way) are the ones complaining about being average on the Colts.com forum. 

It's fine you think you're spoiled, doesn't mean the rest of us agree we are.

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

I would not say spoiled. But I do think there's a segment of Colts fans that don't appreciate how tough it is to win when you don't have a really good QB, and probably don't appreciate how difficult it is to acquire a really good QB. There is some perspective that can be gained by looking around the league, and through its history, to gain better appreciation for how most teams operate when they're struggling to find their guy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

that’s fine… but everyone else in the league knows how spoiled colts fans have been… It’s all I ever saw online. We went from one generational qb to the next with one year in between. And now we complain about being a play away from a division (ZERO DIVISION TITLES!! 😩 😭

an entire generation of new colts fans that didn’t experience much losing their entire childhoods/early adulthoods. Contrast that with the franchises that have sucked for decades… generations… I was pretty happy for the old guy at the Lions game they kept showing. That’s a true fan. Man- I can imagine how many folks on this forum would disappear if we lost the way that man stuck it out through. 

To touch on all that a bit more, and I’m going to love it as much as the next guy, but New England is going through the same thing. It’s ok. I have high expectations too. There isn’t anything wrong with that. Trust me, the last several Falls/winter’s have been brutal in my house- my wife would attest. 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Okay, but is your stance that the reason the Colts haven't had more success on the field is because players like Franklin haven't brought it enough on game day? Don't we all agree that the reason we haven't seen more success is because the roster needs some specific improvements, especially at QB? 

Yeah, his tweet had a lot of attitude to it, but it's also probably unfair to blame his attitude -- or any other player -- for the Colts' lack of success. His actual perspective is obviously much more aligned with what you want and expect. Which, by the way, is why the 'people are okay with these results' angle is so unnecessary. Every single person who follows the Colts, including the players, wants the Colts to have more success than we've seen recently. This talking point is silly.

There have been games where a lot of the leaders of this team, Franklin included, have not brought it. Do I need to remind everybody about how that 2021 season ended? Do I need to remind everybody how rookie QB CJ Stroud threw to his only receiver for almost 200 yards in a "win and you're in" game? Yes, a lot of those players are either not good enough or don't always bring it when it's most needed of them. So when they start being... snarky towards the fans wanting more after just having been paid generational wealth, then yeah... I won't be too pleased. 

And yes, there are other reasons for this team not being as successful as it should be and they are probably the more important reasons, but they are not on the players so... if you want we can switch to discussing those. Not like we haven't been discussing them so far. We can talk about multiple reasons for this team's failures. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Okay, but is your stance that the reason the Colts haven't had more success on the field is because players like Franklin haven't brought it enough on game day?

Yes? Franklin can't cover - that's an issue. Stewart can't pass rush - that's an issue.

I mean, the 9'ers have been without a franchise QB too since forever, but they're been to 2 Super Bowls whilst Ballard has been here? They been to one SB before Purdy if you want to count him as a franchise QB.

The team is not good enough at key positions (yes that includes the QB) - that's on Ballard who's been here too long for that to keep being an issue in my opinion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

His actual perspective is obviously much more aligned with what you want and expect. Which, by the way, is why the 'people are okay with these results' angle is so unnecessary. Every single person who follows the Colts, including the players, wants the Colts to have more success than we've seen recently. This talking point is silly.

you mean Chris Ballard does actually care to try to improve the team? 😂 

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

And you provided backlash to the spoiled rotten comment, though I'm also pretty sure he was referring to all colts fans, himself included.  And 2006Coltsbestever explained it very well:

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Peyton spoiled everyone because he made winning every Sunday look easy + we won a SB with him and started most seasons 7-0 or so, so by Thanksgiving the Division was over. 

8 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Here's the difference, in my opinion...the spoiled rotten comment was an opinion provided based on the types of responses that have been given by various members.  The "Good to know others are OK with that sort of results. " comment was an (incorrect) assumption offered as being factual due to nothing other than the person not being as outraged as he was.  The good ole, "if you don't agree with me then you obviously feel the complete polar opposite" rebuttals that are so common these days.  There is almost always a ton of grey area between 2 extremes.

• Like 2