Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pre-Combine Off Season Plan

Okay, I finally looked into the salary cap and tried to calculate what we can do.  We can afford to do more than I had thought.  So, here’s my annotated mock off season, as I see it now:

Re-Sign: Pittman, Stewart, Blackmon, Moore, Tyquan, Ronnie Harrison, and Sanchez.

Release: Alie-Cox and Ogletree (hate to see it, but I’m assuming his career is over.  If it blows over, I’d keep him, but it probably won’t work itself out by draft time.)

Let Walk in FA: Minshew, Moss, Bryan, Pinter, McKenzie

Sign:

Darnell Mooney, WR, Bears

Tyrod Taylor, QB, Giants

DeShon Elliott, S, Dolphins

Draft:

*Keep 1st round pick, but trade the 2nd rounder down and pick up a late 3rd rounder for it.

1-15 Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo.  

2-60ish Ruke Orhorhoro, 3T, Clemson

3-82 Dominick Puni, IOL, Kansas

3-92ish James Williams, LB, Miami

4-124 Theo Johnson, TE, Penn St.

5-157 Khristian Boyd, NT, N. Iowa

6-210 Kimani Vidal, RB, Troy

7-257 Anthony Gould, WR, Oregon St.

Draft Thoughts: The DT/NT depth was garbage last year, so I got two.  I opted to add  a FA WR, so he’d be productive from Day 1; still came and got a Tank Dell clone (without the college production) in the 7th.  The 3rd and 4th look to be sweet spots for IOL values: Beebe, Zinter, Cohen, Glaze, McCormick, Haynes are other names to watch.  It’s amazing that we got to the point that TE is a need, but Granson didn’t step up last year, we’re losing two, and Woods’ injury could affect his trajectory.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Do you think Puni can play center for us? He could play guard easy, but if Fries doesn’t regress, he could solve the looming departure of Ryan Kelly this year or next.

I’m not really sure about Kelly’s looming departure - he’s said he has no retirement plans.  But, I kinda feel like Fries will be the top backup option at center this next year.  Draftee or Sills could come in at OG and Fries could slide over if anything happens to Kelly.  Or French, who was only terrible at guard - he’s always been decent at center.

17 hours ago, Archer said:

Okay, I finally looked into the salary cap and tried to calculate what we can do.  We can afford to do more than I had thought.  So, here’s my annotated mock off season, as I see it now:

Re-Sign: Pittman, Stewart, Blackmon, Moore, Tyquan, Ronnie Harrison, and Sanchez.

Release: Alie-Cox and Ogletree (hate to see it, but I’m assuming his career is over.  If it blows over, I’d keep him, but it probably won’t work itself out by draft time.)

Sign:

Tyrod Taylor, QB, Giants

Draft:

*Keep 1st round pick, but trade the 2nd rounder down and pick up a late 3rd rounder for it.

Draft Thoughts: The DT/NT depth was garbage last year, so I got two.  I opted to add  a FA WR, so he’d be productive from Day 1; still came and got a Tank Dell clone (without the college production) in the 7th.  The 3rd and 4th look to be sweet spots for IOL values: Beebe, Zinter, Cohen, Glaze, McCormick, Haynes are other names to watch.  It’s amazing that we got to the point that TE is a need, but Granson didn’t step up last year, we’re losing two, and Woods’ injury could affect his trajectory.

I'm never going to poo poo on anyone's well articulated, thought out plan............

I just don't think we go CB in the first round. I'm interested in understanding why you think so when Safety 'seems' like a greater need in the short and long term? Unless of course Harrison goes back to SS/Nickel LB and Cross takes over FS?

I do LOVE the James Williams hybrid SS/Nickel LB pick, The Puni pick and the two DT's!

19 hours ago, Archer said:

Sign:

Tyrod Taylor, QB, Giants

Draft:

Here is mine, but I will only give you my 1st round draft pick. I have to study the draft more to give you 7 picks. Some of you guys are out of my league and I even follow College Football quite a bit. 

1. Franchise Tag Pittman - he will be happy making that kind of money over 1 year.

2. Re-sign Moore to a good 3 yr deal.

3. Re-sign Stewart to a good 3 yr deal. He can finish his career here.

4. Re-sign Sanchez to a good 3 yr deal

5. Re-sign Blackmon to a good 3 yr deal.

6. Re-sign Ronnie Harrison to a good 2 yr deal.

7. - I have decided to let Minshew walk, I hate it, but it is time to put all our marbles in AR's bag. Either AR is the real deal, or he isn't. He has had 1 year to play a little and then sit a lot at the same time. He has had 1 year to learn from Minshew and get a feel for Shane. He is now 100% heathy, I want it to be his team, no QB controversy + Minshew is going to want around 10 Mill a year after last season. Too much money. He was only making 3.5 Mill last season.

8. Moss walks as well, Taylor is the man, we just need someone average that can spell him from time to time and carry it maybe 8-10 times a game. In Shane's system, he can make an average RB look good at times. 

9. Pinter walks - he is going to want more money.

10. Tyquan Lewis walks, that extra 2 Mill could help into signing a big Free Agent. Tough loss here but I want Mike Evans. I am just saving a little money here and there where I can.

11. Let McKenzie walk.

12. Release Ogletree.

13. Sign Mike Evans to a big 3 yr deal! He is 30 years and that is my cut off point to signing anyone to a big deal but he is a healthy 30. Played in every game last season and dominated. He has at least 2 great years left in him. When we tried this with Andre Johnson, Johnson was 34 and washed. This would be much different, + Evans is younger in that type of scenario. 

14. I like your Tyrod Taylor idea, every team needs a back-up QB that is at least average as a whole. He would be cheap. He could win a game or 2 if AR missed 2 games. Maybe sign him to 1 yr, for 5 Mill. That is about what he was making in NY. 

15. Draft Brock Bowers at #15! The TE that AR needs.

16. Draft the best CB on the board that is left with our 2nd round pick and gamble with it and hope he pans out. I can't say who that player will be because we won't know until draft night. 

22 hours ago, Archer said:

Sign:

Tyrod Taylor, QB, Giants

Draft:

I applaud the effort to took to lay this out.  And you've addressed the positional needs.  Z-receiver, FS, backup QB, IDL, and IOL.

My biggest question is if Quinyon Mitchell sufficiently rates as a "rare air" player at #15.  If all the impact players are gone by then, then I get it.  And maybe your model assumes that they are.  Or, in taking Moody, you remove the need to draft that position.  But I still can't help wanting more out of the #15 pick.

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I just don't think we go CB in the first round. I'm interested in understanding why you think so when Safety 'seems' like a greater need in the short and long term? Unless of course Harrison goes back to SS/Nickel LB and Cross takes over FS?

I guess that I don’t see safety as a need in this scenario.  Cross slides into a starting spot next to Blackmon, with Thomas and DeShon Elliott as depth.  Seems great to me.  The CB need is simply this: we have Stroud and Lawrence slinging it in our division.  We need to be special at CB to win the division, and we’re a #1 CB away from special.

8 minutes ago, Archer said:

I guess that I don’t see safety as a need in this scenario.  Cross slides into a starting spot next to Blackmon, with Thomas and DeShon Elliott as depth.  Seems great to me.  The CB need is simply this: we have Stroud and Lawrence slinging it in our division.  We need to be special at CB to win the division, and we’re a #1 CB away from special.

If Kenny Moore is re-signed and we have Brents, Jones and Moore healthy, who does the rookie replace, if he is drafted in Round 1? 

39 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Kenny Moore is re-signed and we have Brents, Jones and Moore healthy, who does the rookie replace, if he is drafted in Round 1? 

See my post above, like I explained to @NewColtsFan, I would never draft one in Round 1 because it is too tough to tell if a CB will be great or a bust, but I would in Round 2 for depth, maybe hoping he turns out to be great. Only exception would be if a Deion Sanders or Revis was coming out, last I looked nobody is close to that.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

See my post above, like I explained to @NewColtsFan, I would never draft one in Round 1 because it is too tough to tell if a CB will be great or a bust, but I would in Round 2 for depth, maybe hoping he turns out to be great. Only exception would be if a Deion Sanders or Revis was coming out, last I looked nobody is close to that.

CBE….    I posted a king explanation of my confusion with your two posts.   I’ve double checked my notices, but as best as I can tell, you have yet to respond.   Is that correct, or did I just miss it?  

Im guessing you’re waiting for a good long moment to respond?    Just checking. 

17 hours ago, Archer said:

Fair enough - that is assuming we re-sign Blackmon and sign Elliott as a FA. 

I can see your thought process with a true number one CB - though you don't see Brents developing into that number one? I don't see CB splurging on one FA? So you think a guy at number 15 is going to step in and be that guy? Wiggins? DeJean? Or either of the Bama guys?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Fair enough - that is assuming we re-sign Blackmon and sign Elliott as a FA. 

I can see your thought process with a true number one CB - though you don't see Brents developing into that number one? I don't see CB splurging on one FA? So you think a guy at number 15 is going to step in and be that guy? Wiggins? DeJean? Or either of the Bama guys?

I think Brents could, but I don’t really see us being sorry that we got “too many” good CBs.  Not in our division.  I do really like Terrion Arnold, but I think he’ll be gone earlier.  DeJean is also CB’s kind of athlete, and many think he could play safety immediately, if need be.  But, like I said, I don’t think we have any huge needs, so I think CB can just take BPA at a position that makes some sense.  Lots of ways we can go with this pick.

BTW, my favorite potentual value pick in this draft for us would be Max Melton.  He could be available in the 3rd, and he reminds me a bit of Kenny Moore.  I like that guy a lot…

• Thanks 1