Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New OT Rules

Chrisaaron1023

I mentioned it last night, and nobody really talked about it.. with the OT rules continually changing why in the world would you want the ball first?! I said the team who defers clearly has the advantage. They know exactly what they have to do and have 4 downs to play with. This is being talked about now on sports talk. Perhaps Shanahan and the 49ers didn't remember the rule changes?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024-super-bowl-postseason-overtime-rules-means-it-is-better-to-give-than-receive/

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kyle-shanahan-on-receiving-in-ot-we-wanted-the-ball-third-if-it-went-to-sudden-death

• Like 1

Chiefs players were prepared for it and 49ers' players were not, a bit shocking to me. This is Andy Reid and his staff doing simple Belichick level preparation, no wonder Belichick was prepared for so many things including white gloves on Colts' white jerseys so that DB holding doesn't get called at home, being prepared for Seahawks play they ran only 2 times that season etc.

Arik Armstead and Kyle Juszczyk both confessed to not knowing playoff OT rules are different.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/2/12/24070402/san-francisco-49ers-receive-kick-overtime-decision-kyle-shanahan-super-bowl

The Chiefs’ overtime plan worked out exactly how they had hoped—and it wasn’t by accident. Kansas City safety Justin Reid told The Ringer that the Chiefs had first discussed the new overtime rules as far back as training camp. Defensive lineman Chris Jones told me players were prepared for what to expect if the Super Bowl went to overtime.

“We talked through this for two weeks,” Jones said. “How we was going to give the ball to the opponent; if they scored, we was going for two at the end of the game. We rehearsed it.”

Defensive lineman Arik Armstead said he learned the details of the postseason rule when it was shown on the Allegiant Stadium jumbotron during a TV timeout after regulation. Fullback Kyle Juszczyk said he assumed the 49ers asked to receive when they won the toss because that’s what you do in the regular season, when a touchdown wins the game. “I guess that’s not the case. I don’t really know the strategy,” Juszczyk said.

11 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I mentioned it last night, and nobody really talked about it.. with the OT rules continually changing why in the world would you want the ball first?! I said the team who defers clearly has the advantage. They know exactly what they have to do and have 4 downs to play with. This is being talked about now on sports talk. Perhaps Shanahan and the 49ers didn't remember the rule changes?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024-super-bowl-postseason-overtime-rules-means-it-is-better-to-give-than-receive/

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kyle-shanahan-on-receiving-in-ot-we-wanted-the-ball-third-if-it-went-to-sudden-death

Not that cut and dry actually, say SF scored a FG which they did but allowed KC to only score a FG, now SF gets ball back and FG wins the game so they get 2-1 possessions or 66% of possessions. If a low scoring defensive battle would think definitely they way to go while in a higher scoring game not as likely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Not that cut and dry actually, say SF scored a FG which they did but allowed KC to only score a FG, now SF gets ball back and FG wins the game so they get 2-1 possessions or 66% of possessions. If a low scoring defensive battle would think definitely they way to go while in a higher scoring game not as likely.

The other aspect is the SF D had been on the field a long time in the 4th quarter too, so right plan, just couldn’t factor Mahomes would score a TD after having scored a TD only once the entire game that came on a punt touched accidentally. It was an educated move but backfired.

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The other aspect is the SF D had been on the field a long time in the 4th quarter too, so right plan, just couldn’t factor Mahomes would score a TD after having scored a TD only once the entire game that came on a punt touched accidentally. It was an educated move but backfired.

Yes they were winded, I have zero problem with his call there. I wish regular season used this method, much better then what we currently have.

On 2/12/2024 at 6:56 PM, holeymoley99 said:

Yes they were winded, I have zero problem with his call there. I wish regular season used this method, much better then what we currently have.

However, it is a known fact that college teams, because both of them get a possession at the 25 yard line in OT, have always deferred when winning the toss for this reason.

They just don't want regular season games going into 2nd OT because if the Chiefs had not scored at the end of 1st OT, they get to continue with 2nd and goal in the 2nd OT based on the new playoff OT rules. With 17 regular season games, I can see why they don't adopt it for the regular season.

On 2/12/2024 at 6:56 PM, holeymoley99 said:

37 minutes ago, chad72 said:

However, it is a known fact that college teams, because both of them get a possession at the 25 yard line in OT, have always deferred when winning the toss for this reason.

Even so, if they were winded.. and Patrick throws an 80 yard TD.. doesn't matter the 49ers still get the final say. All the OT changes are making it brutal.. either keep it sudden death or just have them play another quarter like basketball. 

Just now, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Even so, if they were winded.. and Patrick throws an 80 yard TD.. doesn't matter the 49ers still get the final say. All the OT changes are making it brutal.. either keep it sudden death or just have them play another quarter like basketball. 

They almost did play a quarter, and it had only 2 possessions. Goes to show you both teams were dinking and dunking down the field, one came with a FG and the other with a TD. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

They almost did play a quarter, and it had only 2 possessions. Goes to show you both teams were dinking and dunking down the field, one came with a FG and the other with a TD. 

yupp. and with KC getting the ball second they absolutely knew what they needed to do. they had a 4th down in their own territory that they would've punted away had they had gotten the ball first. lol. Just like teams always deferred to the 2nd half now (seems like belicheck started that trend) OT seems to me like the no-brainer to do the same now lol

On 2/12/2024 at 5:40 PM, holeymoley99 said:

Had SF scored a TD in the first possession, all the pressure would have been on KC to score a TD too. Since SF only scored a FG, KC had a choice of going for a FG if the TD was not possible.

I would have deferred but my brother thought that SF's strategy was not too bad. Unfortunately SF did not score a TD with that first possession. That gave KC a huge advantage.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Had SF scored a TD in the first possession, all the pressure would have been on KC to score a TD too. Since SF only scored a FG, KC had a choice of going for a FG if the TD was not possible.

I would have deferred but my brother thought that SF's strategy was not too bad. Unfortunately SF did not score a TD with that first possession. That gave KC a huge advantage.

I would have deferred as well because even if KC scores a TD, 49ers still would have had a chance. I would have trusted my defense and even if they failed, my offense still gets a shot at it. 

• Like 2

I don't mind taking the ball 1st. Yes the team that responds knows what they need to do, but the team that gets the ball first, also has the ball 1st in the sudden death part of OT when both teams have had the ball(score still tied after both teams have possessed the ball) and then the second team doesn't have the chance to respond - all you need to do is score... any score... 

BTW, this would introduce some new dynamics in the choice of whether a team should go for 2 or not in overtime. For example, if you are the second team and you just scored a TD to equalize the score... it incentivizes you to go for 2, because you know that any score from the opponent on the next possession is game over. 

• Like 3