Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Solid84's Mock Draft 1.0 - pre-Senior Bowl/Combine

I wanted to do one of these before the Senior Bowl, the Combine and the first round of free agency. It's just for fun and to see how much (if at all) my opinion would shift after the previously mentioned events. I guess I'll do a new version each event.

A few things first:

• I'm trying to guess what Ballard would do, not what I necessarily would do.
  • Trades are done based off of the "Classic Jimmy Johnson Valuation Model" from drafttek.
    • It's worth noting I generally add a small premium to teams trading up - not much though.

There are a few guys I REALLY like that I don't think Ballard would target (at this point at least) for various reasons:

• T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas. I think we need depth behind Grower Stewart and Sweat is amazing, but do you target guys in the 2nd (possibly lower 1st with good Senior Bowl/Combine results) for depth? Sweat would challenge Grover for the starting spot eventually.
  • Byron Murphy, DT, Texas. Same as above but behind Buckner.
  • A couple of linebackers - Edgerrin Cooper, Payton Wilson and Jeremy Trotter Jr. I don't think Ballard is looking at LBs and if he is I don't think he's taking one in the 2nd where I think these guys are going.
  • Early DE/Edge guys - Laiatu Latu, Jared Verse and Dallas Turner. Ballard seemed happy with our big sack number, so I don't think DE/Edge is something we're looking at early - day 1 and possibly even day 2.

Trades:

1. Colts get: R1:26 - R2:58 - R4:2025pick -- Buccaneers get: R1:15 -- 1,064 to 1,050 points.
  2. Colts get: R2:33 -- Panthers get: R2:46 - R3:82 -- 580 to 620 points
  3. Colts get: R3:74 - R4:109 - R5:2025pick -- Falcons get: R2:58 -- 323.4 to 320 points

Colts picks after trades: R1:26 - R2:33 - R3:74 - R4:109 - R4:117 - R5:153 - R6:193 - R7:235 - R4:2025pick - R5:2025pick

A lot of wheeling and dealing and possibly too much. I do think it's almost a given at this point we're trading back in the first unless one of the top offensive weapons fall.

Picks are based on PFF's 2024 big board.

• R1:26 - Adonai Mitchell, WR, Georgia. I think this might be the year Ballard goes for a WR in the first round, but not before a customary trade back. We need to get more explosive on both sides of the ball and this is the first move to make that happen. Mitchell is a solid WR, great off the line and has speed. He'll be an instant upgrade to the WR room.

• R2:33 - Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo. I like Quinyon because he projects as an elite zone CB, but at the same time I'm not sold on the idea of Ballard picking CB again this early after having spent 2 picks on CBs last draft. This is the pick I'm most uncertain about day 1 and day 2.

• R3:74 - Javon Bullard, S, Georgia. Our new FS. He'll be an instant upgrade to our safety room and hopefully be what we (so desperately?) need at FS.

• R4:109 - Cade Stover, TE, Ohio State. Not Bowers, but a solid pick up and I think the TE room needs help with uncertainty surrounding Ogletree and Cox possibly not coming back.

• R4:117 - Sedric Van Pran, C, Georgia. Our future Center. Can sit and learn behind Kelly and maybe get a few games starting each season until Kelly is done.

• R5:153 - James Williams, S, Miami. Really a Safety/LB hybrid prospect and we take him with the intent to shift him to LB. Hopefully a big upgrade to our coverage in the LB room.

• R6:193 - Evan Anderson, DT, Florida Atlantic. The depth piece behind Stewart. The guy's a house and with time in a NFL level S&C program he will be unmovable at NT.

• R7:235 - Christian Jones, T, Texas. Tackle depth because we need it.
  • Like 6

I like this draft a lot. Both Mitchell’s are players who are growing on me. A.D. has the size of Pittman, better speed, the contested catch ability, and the route running ability that can be better than Pitt with coaching.

Quinyon Mitchell is a guy that is a perfect fit for this Bradley D since they’re keeping him around. What does Mitchell excel at? Playing 8-10 yards off the line and making plays. What are we always * at Bradley for doing? Playing the corners 8-10 yards off. But Mitchell can make plays on the ball from that alignment. I’m honestly Caine with Jaylin Jones as CB2 but this corner class is too good to not get one, and QM has a way higher ceiling.

James Williams is a guy that screams late round Ballard pick. Big raw athlete with no clear position yet. I agree that he’s probably a safety LB/hybrid (Like Ronnie Harrison), but he should also be special teams demon early on.

I know nothing about Anderson so I’ll take your word on it. Grover himself was a 4th round pick, so day 3 is a day you can find NT depth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really like the Quinyon Mitchell and Javon Bullard picks. I think this is a great class for day 2 talent that can come in day 1 and contribute. Bullard is one of my top targets in round 3, I think he'd fit like a glove. 

While I like Addonai, I don't think he'd be my target if we pull the trigger on WR in a trade-back. Might be a stretch but I'd be all over Troy Franklin or Brian Thomas Jr. if available. Theres some guys I think fit as well as Mitchell that should be around mind rd 2 (Laggette/Tez Walker/McConckey) that I'd rather wait on than taking Mitchell top 30, but that's just me. 

Not a fan of Stover, but the day 3 picks knock it out of the park. I'd be happy with this class overall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I wanted to do one of these before the Senior Bowl, the Combine and the first round of free agency. It's just for fun and to see how much (if at all) my opinion would shift after the previously mentioned events. I guess I'll do a new version each event.

A few things first:

• I'm trying to guess what Ballard would do, not what I necessarily would do.
  • Trades are done based off of the "Classic Jimmy Johnson Valuation Model" from drafttek.
    • It's worth noting I generally add a small premium to teams trading up - not much though.

There are a few guys I REALLY like that I don't think Ballard would target (at this point at least) for various reasons:

• T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas. I think we need depth behind Grower Stewart and Sweat is amazing, but do you target guys in the 2nd (possibly lower 1st with good Senior Bowl/Combine results) for depth? Sweat would challenge Grover for the starting spot eventually.
  • Byron Murphy, DT, Texas. Same as above but behind Buckner.
  • A couple of linebackers - Edgerrin Cooper, Payton Wilson and Jeremy Trotter Jr. I don't think Ballard is looking at LBs and if he is I don't think he's taking one in the 2nd where I think these guys are going.
  • Early DE/Edge guys - Laiatu Latu, Jared Verse and Dallas Turner. Ballard seemed happy with our big sack number, so I don't think DE/Edge is something we're looking at early - day 1 and possibly even day 2.

Trades:

1. Colts get: R1:26 - R2:58 - R4:2025pick -- Buccaneers get: R1:15 -- 1,064 to 1,050 points.
  2. Colts get: R2:33 -- Panthers get: R2:46 - R3:82 -- 580 to 620 points
  3. Colts get: R3:74 - R4:109 - R5:2025pick -- Falcons get: R2:58 -- 323.4 to 320 points

Colts picks after trades: R1:26 - R2:33 - R3:74 - R4:109 - R4:117 - R5:153 - R6:193 - R7:235 - R4:2025pick - R5:2025pick

A lot of wheeling and dealing and possibly too much. I do think it's almost a given at this point we're trading back in the first unless one of the top offensive weapons fall.

Picks are based on PFF's 2024 big board.

• R1:26 - Adonai Mitchell, WR, Georgia. I think this might be the year Ballard goes for a WR in the first round, but not before a customary trade back. We need to get more explosive on both sides of the ball and this is the first move to make that happen. Mitchell is a solid WR, great off the line and has speed. He'll be an instant upgrade to the WR room.

• R2:33 - Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo. I like Quinyon because he projects as an elite zone CB, but at the same time I'm not sold on the idea of Ballard picking CB again this early after having spent 2 picks on CBs last draft. This is the pick I'm most uncertain about day 1 and day 2.

• R3:74 - Javon Bullard, S, Georgia. Our new FS. He'll be an instant upgrade to our safety room and hopefully be what we (so desperately?) need at FS.

• R4:109 - Cade Stover, TE, Ohio State. Not Bowers, but a solid pick up and I think the TE room needs help with uncertainty surrounding Ogletree and Cox possibly not coming back.

• R4:117 - Sedric Van Pran, C, Georgia. Our future Center. Can sit and learn behind Kelly and maybe get a few games starting each season until Kelly is done.

• R5:153 - James Williams, S, Miami. Really a Safety/LB hybrid prospect and we take him with the intent to shift him to LB. Hopefully a big upgrade to our coverage in the LB room.

• R6:193 - Evan Anderson, DT, Florida Atlantic. The depth piece behind Stewart. The guy's a house and with time in a NFL level S&C program he will be unmovable at NT.

• R7:235 - Christian Jones, T, Texas. Tackle depth because we need it.

Awesomeness

I think its a 75% that CB trades back

AD Mitchell, Q Mitchell, and Bullard could very well fill the gaping holes 

James Williams has almost the exact build of a lanky LB that we used to have on this team

He should also be faster. The kid plays near the line much of the time anyway 

I would take him instead of Stover

Lastly..... love the draft.....

Your approach doesnt cost much other than rookie contract

Imagine if CB would ALSO take a swing at Bryce Huff (15M)

OR

D Hunter? (22M)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m honestly Caine with Jaylin Jones as CB2 but this corner class is too good to not get one, and QM has a way higher ceiling.

The thing about this is Ballard can use it as tradebait rather than actually picking one and I think we'll fix the secondary in FA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Theres some guys I think fit as well as Mitchell that should be around mind rd 2 (Laggette/Tez Walker/McConckey) that I'd rather wait on than taking Mitchell top 30, but that's just me.

Tez Walker is the exact same player as Alex Pierce. Same build, strengths (deep threat Z-receiver), and weaknesses (1 trick pony, no quickness). McConkey is basically a slightly bigger version of Downs. Slot receiver with great route running ability. Legette is going to need manufactured touches at the next level. He’s very unpolished (basically zero production at WR until this year) for a player at his age.

While this WR is deep, a lot of these guys are good  if you’re missing a specific type of receiver. But we have those type of guys on the roster already. If you want a shot at a true 1, the guys in our range that we would need to take a shot on would be guys like Mitchell, Coleman, or Thomas Jr. The thing with Mitchell is that he’s played on Georgia and Texas, and he’s cooked good corners at both stops. This past season he made Kool-Aid McKinstry look silly when they played Bama. He also gets into the end zone a good amount.

• Like 2

What do you guys think about potentially either drafting or getting as an UDFA in this draft class an OT from Howard named Anim Dankwah?  He's 6'7", 360 lbs, huge potential, needs development though.

From a scouting report on him:

Player Summary:
Senior. Starts at LT. Big, mammoth-sized OT prospect with excellent size, thick lower body, and great arm length for the position. Has a lot to like from a height/weight standpoint but is very raw and needs development during his senior season. Average in pass protection, average as a run blocker. Flashes a strong and violent first punch which he uses to jolt defenders and needs to use more often. Is able to get good vertical push especially in short yardage situations. Has a good first step. Is a good puller and does a good job of reaching the second level, but struggles to latch onto defenders and drive them off the ball. Will overextend and bend at the waist at the second level. Needs to work on finishing better – allows defenders he blocks to get in on the play.  In pass protection, he is average. Generally does a good job of keeping defenders aligned over him between his feet and playing with a wide base. Primary weakness is hand placement and timing. Tends to bear hug opposing DEs w/wide hands instead of keeping his elbows tight and striking at the breastplate. Struggles to mirror edge rushers aligned to his outside shade and needs to do a better job of sealing the corner/getting there in-time. Outside hand placement causes his chest to be exposed, which can get him walked into the backfield.

Scheme Fit:
OT.

Power Statement:
You can’t coach Anim’s size and length.  He needs to work on developing better hand placement in both phases of the game.  He also needs to show he can handle edge speed better.  His raw athleticism is through the roof, however, and if he refines the better technique points he can develop into a legitimate prospect.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

What do you guys think about potentially either drafting or getting as an UDFA in this draft class an OT from Howard named Anim Dankwah?  He's 6'7", 360 lbs, huge potential, needs development though.

Player Summary:
Senior. Starts at LT. Big, mammoth-sized OT prospect with excellent size, thick lower body, and great arm length for the position. Has a lot to like from a height/weight standpoint but is very raw and needs development during his senior season. Average in pass protection, average as a run blocker. Flashes a strong and violent first punch which he uses to jolt defenders and needs to use more often. Is able to get good vertical push especially in short yardage situations. Has a good first step. Is a good puller and does a good job of reaching the second level, but struggles to latch onto defenders and drive them off the ball. Will overextend and bend at the waist at the second level. Needs to work on finishing better – allows defenders he blocks to get in on the play.  In pass protection, he is average. Generally does a good job of keeping defenders aligned over him between his feet and playing with a wide base. Primary weakness is hand placement and timing. Tends to bear hug opposing DEs w/wide hands instead of keeping his elbows tight and striking at the breastplate. Struggles to mirror edge rushers aligned to his outside shade and needs to do a better job of sealing the corner/getting there in-time. Outside hand placement causes his chest to be exposed, which can get him walked into the backfield.

Scheme Fit:
OT.

Power Statement:
You can’t coach Anim’s size and length.  He needs to work on developing better hand placement in both phases of the game.  He also needs to show he can handle edge speed better.  His raw athleticism is through the roof, however, and if he refines the better technique points he can develop into a legitimate prospect.

I'd be down for bringing him in to just be the 6th lineman in obvious running situations. At 6' 7" he can be an eligible receiver on the goal line maybe. Just don't ask him to jump for the ball. Would leave a dent in the end zone.

57 minutes ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

Player Summary:

Scheme Fit:
OT.

Power Statement:

Sure as a late round pick (or UDFA) he'd be good I think.

• Like 1

Also the Senior Bowl Measurements are saying Xavier Legette is actually 6’0” even. People were comparing him to DK partially because he was said to be like 6’3”.

This is what happened with Rashee Rice last year. SMU had him listed at 6’2” and his tape showed him as this big contested catch/jump ball receiver who was super physical. Got to the Senior Bowl and was actually a shade over 6 ft.

• Like 3

@Solid84 very well done and am liking what you done.

I also was exploring a trade back with Detroit for P29 and getting R2P61 and R3P92 while sending our R6P193 to even out the trade per Drafttek's trade value chart.  I done this yesterday before just now reading the recap from the Senior Bowl Standouts.  With the so-called hatred from some fans around Alec Pierce, Roman Wilson has been on my list as a potential camp battle with Pierce.  Sounded like almost every DB was not able to cover Wilson and his stock is expected to jump.  

R1P29 via DET FS Calen Bullock (UCS) - Facing off vs Stroud, Lawrence, and Levis going to need an improved defense

R2P46 WR-X Xavier Legette (SC) - Tag or resign Pittman Jr.? More weapons for AR?

R2P61 via DET WR-Z Roman Wilson (Michigan)

R3P82 SCB-SS Javon Bullard (Georgia) - Blackmon gone and Cross the future? Bullard-Cross camp battle with upside Bullard-Moore in the Slot long-future?

R3P92 via DET Edge Marshawn Kneeland (Western Michigan) non-stop motor been wreaking havoc versus strong competition at the Senior Bowl

R4P118 Edge Mohamed Kamara (Colorado St) - Impressive college stat line and proving to be a handful at practices for the Shrine Bowl

R5P150 ILB Maema Njongmeta - Reminds me Ivan Pace Jr who went UDFA that was a stud at Cincinnati.  Njongmeta looks legit like the late round LBs the Colts take that find success in the NFL.  

R7P232 CB MJ Devonshire (Pittsburgh) - PR and was second-team All-ACC honors as a PR in 2022 and CB in 2023.  Hands for INTs.  Does well in both man and zone coverages in blitz-heavy defensive scheme.  Great ball skills to be a starter. 

Our focus this year should be speed, and more speed… take dejean  then trade back and grab Xavier worthy… dejean solves a problem at both safety and corner with one pick… and both these guys can really return the ball in special teams… we overlook that heavily… downs is not a return specialist but both of these picks  are, the way Isaiah Rogers was