Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Playoff Chances Improve…

NewColtsFan

20 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Yeah but what I originally ment was It'd feel incomplete/flukey/hollow if we won by playing bad football all year. Not a few games. And the "crappy/bad" football is an exaggeration to emphasize my point.

In a season where so many QBs and starters are injured I wouldn't be surprised if a dark horse went and won it all. If that was the Colts it'd feel hollow to me, because while we're not playing crappy/bad, we're not playing anywhere near SB level.

Thats a strange way to be.  No team is elite this year but someone is still going to win and its ok to celebrate it.  

Every SB winner got lucky in some major way at some point.  The chiefs are lucky no one drafted PM in front of them

You just set yourself up to not enjoy this year no matter what because the league is having an off year

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Thats a strange way to be.  No team is elite this year but someone is still going to win and its ok to celebrate it.  

Every SB winner got lucky in some major way at some point.  The chiefs are lucky no one drafted PM in front of them

You just set yourself up to not enjoy this year no matter what because the league is having an off year

a Super Bowl run for us would likely mean winning 6/7 of last 9 games to get in. Winning on the road against the 2 seed, and then on the road against the 1 seed, likely a combo of Ravens, Chiefs, Dolphins. And then beating either the 49ers or Eagles for a championship. 

I don’t care if an act of God made that happen, it would be a remarkable achievement and one we’d all rejoice in for the rest of our lives. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

a Super Bowl run for us would likely mean winning 6/7 of last 9 games to get in. Winning on the road against the 2 seed, and then on the road against the 1 seed, likely a combo of Ravens, Chiefs, Dolphins. And then beating either the 49ers or Eagles for a championship. 

I don’t care if an act of God made that happen, it would be a remarkable achievement and one we’d all rejoice in for the rest of our lives. 

but for me- anything close to a playoff appearance this year is us trending in the right direction. I think we are already seeing it. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I’m sure the Kansas City chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles will feel the same way if they win the Super Bowl this year… 🙄 

“Man, it just doesn’t feel right to win when so many teams were playing crappy football this year.” 

But they are good teams generally playing good football across the whole season?

It’s fine you don’t agree with me, but don’t put words in my mouth or intentionally misrepresent my point. 

Last year we played some god-awful football. The whole season. Yet when we were 3-4-1 people were still talking about the playoffs only looking at the standings and completely ignoring how terribly we actually played. 

The game we had against the Chiefs in week 3 was some of the worst football I’ve ever seen. I came away with the feeling that it wasn’t the Colts winning that game but the Chiefs losing it. Yet some people here were proudly proclaiming us better than the Chiefs… who went on to win the SB

Now, we played a lot better against the Ravens this year when we won, but still had some lucky breaks. People here proclaimed us better than the Ravens after that game. The Ravens are the #1 seat and we’re 7th. 

Someone has already said they hope we get the Chiefs or the Ravens this season if we get into the playoffs because “We got their number”. Lol. 

A month ago the playoffs were a long shot. Now, because of Burrow’s injury and Mark Andrews’ and more it’s looking like a real possibility. 

My point, and pay attention now, so you don’t misrepresent it again, is I want the Colts to win on their own merits not because of luck or other teams’ misfortune.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

My point, and pay attention now, so you don’t misrepresent it again, is I want the Colts to win on their own merits not because of luck or other teams’ misfortune.

I think I made it clear in an earlier post that in order for us to win a championship, we would have to go through the three best teams in the league… I didn’t misrepresent your ideology. I was mocking it because I just think it’s ignorant… 

every team has injuries late in the season. Some teams play their best football because they have strong qb play and are more fortunate than others. Don’t diminish teams that are less fortunate in the injury category but still finding ways to win games and be relevant. 

17 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think I made it clear in an earlier post that in order for us to win a championship, we would have to go through the three best teams in the league… I didn’t misrepresent your ideology. I was mocking it because I just think it’s ignorant… 

every team has injuries late in the season. Some teams play their best football because they have strong qb play and are more fortunate than others. Don’t diminish teams that are less fortunate in the injury category but still finding ways to win games and be relevant. 

Oh, even better. Welcome to ignore..

You either don’t have the wits to read between the lines or you intentionally misrepresent my opinion. Either wayyou waste my time. 

13 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I disagree. 

If the Chiefs got to the SB and Mahomes and Kelce were both injured resulting in a blow-out loss to whoever, I doubt that would be a fulfilling win. 

19 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I disagree. 

If the Chiefs got to the SB and Mahomes and Kelce were both injured resulting in a blow-out loss to whoever, I doubt that would be a fulfilling win. 

lol. 

27 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

You either don’t have the wits to read between the lines or you intentionally misrepresent my opinion

I must be a complete * then. A Super Bowl blowout win wouldn’t be fulfilling… it’s an interesting take.

I believe if you played in the nfl, you would be the only person in the league that felt that way… 

in professional sports, someone’s bad luck is another’s good fortune. It’s the way of the world really. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

lol. 

I must be a complete * then. A Super Bowl blowout win wouldn’t be fulfilling… it’s an interesting take.

I believe if you played in the nfl, you would be the only person in the league that felt that way… 

in professional sports, someone’s bad luck is another’s good fortune. It’s the way of the world really. 

I don't get his take either, I have never heard or known anyone think like he does on this subject. I don't want to argue with him because it never ends good when we do. 99% of people just want to win and most don't care how or why. I mean a high % of the league has played crappy football at times this year and have had major injuries. We lost our starting QB, Brents has been out for weeks, Grover has too, and we cut #53. If Pittsburgh won the SB, I am sure their fans would party for a week and brag across the world. I doubt they would say, 'well we played crappy football, we don't deserve to win'. To me that would be mindboggling.

I just can't fathom how someone wouldn't enjoy a win no matter what. It is so hard to win the NFL. That is my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't get his take either, I have never heard or known anyone think like he does on this subject. I don't want to argue with him because it never ends good when we do. 99% of people just want to win and most don't care how or why. I mean a high % of the league has played crappy football at times this year and have had major injuries. We lost our starting QB, Brents has been out for weeks, Grover has too, and we cut #53. If Pittsburgh won the SB, I am sure their fans would party for a week and brag across the world. I doubt they would say, 'well we played crappy football, we don't deserve to win'. To me that would be mindboggling.

I just can't fathom how someone wouldn't enjoy a win no matter what. It is so hard to win the NFL. That is my 2 cents. 

Disagreement =/= arguement. I don’t have a problem with other people feeling different than me on this or any other topic.

I have a problem with people insulting me because they disagree with me or otherwise. 

• Like 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

Disagreement =/= arguement. I don’t have a problem with other people feeling different than me on this or any other topic.

I have a problem with people insulting me because they disagree with me or otherwise. 

I don't blame you there. That is why I am learning in any debate to try not to insult people. Being careful how one word things is key. I am usually good at not insulting people. You said your peace on it, and although many may not agree with it, it is your take and there should be no need for insults. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Agree.  And let’s remember there have been a lot of boring low scoring games this year.  After all the rule changes to benefit the offense teams are struggling to score.  We are one of the few to average 20 points per game.  That’s mind boggling for me.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Agree.  And let’s remember there have been a lot of boring low scoring games this year.  After all the rule changes to benefit the offense teams are struggling to score.  We are one of the few to average 20 points per game.  That’s mind boggling for me.  

Really all in all, we have played some exciting football at times. The Browns, Texans, and Bucs games were all well played games. We scored 27 points on Sunday and looked pretty good on offense vs the Bucs. 

• Like 3

On 11/26/2023 at 4:40 PM, Superman said:

The AFC standings continue to be a mess, so yeah, that game might have significant implications. 

Other TBD games are Broncos/Lions, which is probably the first pick right now. Then Bears/Browns (no thanks), Falcons/Panthers (nope), and Vikings/Bengals (maybe, but if the Bengals implode without Burrow, then no). So we're one of five options, and might be more relevant than three of them. 

I would think this is the week that we get word on what day / time the Steelers game gets played. 

12 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I would think this is the week that we get word on what day / time the Steelers game gets played. 

I’m not sure. I think they want to get it right. Now that JT is potentially lost for the season, they might wait until after the game Sunday to see where we stand before making us a primetime game. 

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I’m not sure. I think they want to get it right. Now that JT is potentially lost for the season, they might wait until after the game Sunday to see where we stand before making us a primetime game. 

It’s possible I suppose but many factors involved here. One of them is allowing for travel of fans to get to a game.  TV ratings is another and because it’s the Steelers, that game will draw regardless. 

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

It’s possible I suppose but many factors involved here. One of them is allowing for travel of fans to get to a game.  TV ratings is another and because it’s the Steelers, that game will draw regardless. 

oh I think it’s going to be primetime. But they have 12 days notice leeway, so I can’t imagine them prematurely announcing. 

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

oh I think it’s going to be primetime. But they have 12 days notice leeway, so I can’t imagine them prematurely announcing. 

I am going on precedent. The 2021 game day and time between the Colts and Pats was announced on Nov 23rd with the game being played on Dec 18th. 

Just a hunch we get word this week. I could be 100% wrong. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I understand this angle. If the Colts sneak into the playoffs as the 7th seed because Burrow is hurt, Watson is hurt, Rodgers is hurt, etc., it doesn't really make me feel like the Colts are on their way to being one of the best teams in the AFC. We got swept by the division leader. I still think this team has a long way to go.

That said, making the playoffs is a major positive for team development and for the franchise. Even if you get your doors blown off in the wild card round, you learn a lot about the team, it's makeup, your standing in the league, etc. And your players/coaches get exposed to heightened media scrutiny, national reporters show up and press people in ways they haven't experienced. You get to go against a coaching staff like the Chiefs or the Ravens in the playoffs, when they're giving you their best gameplans; your players get to play against Mahomes, Kelce, Mark Andrews, Odell, Clowney, Humphrey, etc., at their best, with real stakes.

I think playoff experience is invaluable for a young team like ours. And you never know, you might have a great day and win a playoff game, and then you get double the experience. As long as the folks running the team don't trick themselves into thinking we're closer than we really are, it's a good thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Superman said:

That said, making the playoffs is a major positive for team development and for the franchise. Even if you get your doors blown off in the wild card round, you learn a lot about the team, it's makeup, your standing in the league, etc. And your players/coaches get exposed to heightened media scrutiny, national reporters show up and press people in ways they haven't experienced. You get to go against a coaching staff like the Chiefs or the Ravens in the playoffs, when they're giving you their best gameplans; your players get to play against Mahomes, Kelce, Mark Andrews, Odell, Clowney, Humphrey, etc., at their best, with real stakes.

I think playoff experience is invaluable for a young team like ours. And you never know, you might have a great day and win a playoff game, and then you get double the experience

This is my point. And just as we would get to go up against those players, they have to go up against Nelson, (hopefully JT), Buckner, Kenny Moore… those guys deserve to be in the same breath as the ones you mentioned above. They are premier players that have been buried on a team that hasn’t seen the playoffs the last few seasons. We don’t know what the makeup of this team is, imo. Playoff football is a different breed. 

we won’t quite know what we have in Shane Steichen until we see a playoff game plan. 

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

You know how many teams are playing crappy football right now?  A lot.  And many of them are still in the playoff race.  To feel hollow if we happened to win it blows my mind.  Do you know hard it is to get in and win?  Extremely hard.  A lot has to go right for a team to win a Super Bowl.  A lot of luck is needed along the way.  I would count our lucky stars and cherish the win.  We might never get another one in our lifetimes.  You beat whoever is in front of you.  That’s what you have to do and hope you are the last one standing.

Fan of this team since ‘67.  Two Super Bowl wins in 46 years.   Darned right I would cherish even just a wild card slot.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I am going on precedent. The 2021 game day and time between the Colts and Pats was announced on Nov 23rd with the game being played on Dec 18th. 

Just a hunch we get word this week. I could be 100% wrong. 

I believe they had to announce 4 weeks in advance in 21. It’s now 12 days. 

my understanding anyways. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I understand this angle. If the Colts sneak into the playoffs as the 7th seed because Burrow is hurt, Watson is hurt, Rodgers is hurt, etc., it doesn't really make me feel like the Colts are on their way to being one of the best teams in the AFC. We got swept by the division leader. I still think this team has a long way to go.

I think playoff experience is invaluable for a young team like ours. And you never know, you might have a great day and win a playoff game, and then you get double the experience. As long as the folks running the team don't trick themselves into thinking we're closer than we really are, it's a good thing.

See this I agree with 100%. 

I understand hoping for a playoff berth for the experience which is invaluable. 
   I also get that something like a playoff berth will greatly increase confidence and bring momentum which are extremely important intangibles. 

I just disagree with the general thought that making the playoffs = a team is good. Especially in a year like this where so many teams have lost elite players. 

To me wins does not equal a team being good. Good play equals a team being good. 

I want the Colts to be good, great, the top dogs, because ultimately teams like that will have more chances at the playoffs. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I also get that something like a playoff berth will greatly increase confidence and bring momentum which are extremely important intangibles. 

I just disagree with the general thought that making the playoffs = a team is good. Especially in a year like this where so many teams have lost elite players. 

To me wins does not equal a team being good. Good play equals a team being good. 

I want the Colts to be good, great, the top dogs, because ultimately teams like that will have more chances at the playoffs. 

Who said making playoffs makes you a great team. Colts are good or they wouldn’t be winning with a backup QB. Are they great probably not. But we shouldn’t diminish the accomplishment of making it because other teams have had injuries with quarterbacks. Colts have had a lot of stuff to overcome this year and should be proud if they make it.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Good is a relative term, and some people see it differently. Some people don't go past the W/L record, others have different criteria. I think there's a lot of separation between the Colts and real contenders right now, and I don't think anyone will happen over the rest of this season to change my mind on that.

I just hope Ballard and Co. don't buy the fool's gold of winning a few games against mediocre competition, and think it means the team is better than it really is. We need major roster improvement to compete in the AFC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Who said making playoffs makes you a great team. Colts are good or they wouldn’t be winning with a backup QB. Are they great probably not. But we shouldn’t diminish the accomplishment of making it because other teams have had injuries with quarterbacks. Colts have had a lot of stuff to overcome this year and should be proud if they make it.

Like I said earlier. I want the Colts to win on their own merits and not because of luck or other teams’ misfortune. 

Which is the bigger accomplishment: Beating a fully healthy Chiefs team without some stroke of luck or a Chiefs team without Mahomes and Kelce?

Which is the bigger accomplishment:

Beating the Jags at home and in our house, beating a fully healthy Bengals team, beating a fully healthy Ravens team without some stroke of luck or beating them without their best players?

I want the Colts to win because they are the best. No ifs, no buts. Straight up better than the other teams. Not winning because of lousy refs. Not winning because the other teams are missing key players. 

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Like I said earlier. I want the Colts to win on their own merits and not because of luck or other teams’ misfortune. 

Which is the bigger accomplishment: Beating a fully healthy Chiefs team without some stroke of luck or a Chiefs team without Mahomes and Kelce?

Which is the bigger accomplishment:

Beating the Jags at home and in our house, beating a fully healthy Bengals team, beating a fully healthy Ravens team without some stroke of luck or beating them without their best players?

I want the Colts to win because they are the best. No ifs, no buts. Straight up better than the other teams. Not winning because of lousy refs. Not winning because the other teams are missing key players. 

I don’t care how they get there. Colts have had a lot of issues to overcome too. That is on their own merit too.  Like it is said above you can’t underestimate the experience of getting there and the winning culture it creates.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t care how they get there.

I do because I think “the how” is the better way of measurring how good we actually are. 

Most people here don’t and I’m fine with that. 

Like it is said above you can’t underestimate the experience of getting there and the winning culture it creates.

I understand and appreciate that, but if we make the playoffs you know as well as I do a lot of people here will use that as a reason for calling the Colts a good team.

I don’t think we are, yet, and while the playoffs experience would be good for the team and create momentum to build off of the roster needs some overhauling to be good. 

8 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I do because I think “the how” is the better way of measurring how good we actually are. 

Most people here don’t and I’m fine with that. 

I understand and appreciate that, but if we make the playoffs you know as well as I do a lot of people here will use that as a reason for calling the Colts a good team.

I don’t think we are, yet, and while the playoffs experience would be good for the team and create momentum to build off of the roster needs some overhauling to be good. 

Ballard knows what this team needs for next year. You don’t think playing KC would show Ballard what we need? 

Mike Chappell said it well. When someone asked him are colts good he says they are good enough with this schedule. 

Making  it this year does put a lot of pressure on Richardson next season.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard knows what this team needs for next year. You don’t think playing KC would show Ballard what we need? 

I that’s besides the point?

Mike Chappell said it well. When someone asked him are colts good he says they are good enough with this schedule. 

Doesn’t make the Colts good. 

Making  it this year does put a lot of pressure on Richardson next season.

Not really. AR is the future here hopefully and whether or not he does better than Minshew in his first full year shouldn’t really be a meassuring stick for him. 

No one said colts were really good because they make the playoffs.  But because of schedule and circumstances they are good enough. Steichen dealt with no Taylor first four games. 2 suspensions. Shaw not playing well. Injured cornerbacks. This should not be a six win team. They have overcome a ton of adversity this season. They are learning how to win and that is a really good thing.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Why we have beat them twice. Someone posted some records against KC and chiefs have had the most trouble beating the colts. It’s like 1-2 last 3 games. 

You're kind of illustrating solid84's point. You're putting a lot of weight on a random early season matchup against a team that was probably a little banged up and looking past a lower level opponent.

And even then, it's one thing to say that we played a good game against Mahomes. It's another thing to think that we have his number. We couldn't even stop Derek Carr...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

You're kind of illustrating solid84's point. You're putting a lot of weight on a random early season matchup against a team that was probably a little banged up and looking past a lower level opponent.

And even then, it's one thing to say that we played a good game against Mahomes. It's another thing to think that we have his number. We couldn't even stop Derek Carr...

I never said we would beat them. Just saying make it to playoffs and anything can happen. Football is a weird sport. Our defense has played him well last 3 games. We also already beat ravens. This afc seems to be pretty wide  open this year. It also hasn’t been one game. We have beaten him multiple times. Then add this year he doesn’t have the weapons he had had in the past.  I do think colts are better then some fans want to give them credit for.