Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

College football 2023 thread

I think USC wins it all, was 1 game and 1 Williams injury from playoffs last year in year one of Riley, he has brought in enough quality to fix the leaky D.  4 new D line starters who all transferred in and  started for other squads last season.

The O will miss a few stars like Addison and Dye BUT brought in even more in Dorian Singer who led Pac 12 in receiving yards for Arizona last season and Marshawn Lloyd who was South Carolina leading rusher (Not to mention 3 starting O Lineman who started transferred in and also started at other schools last season).

Riley has become king of the transfer portal and the debate is definitely out there if it should be this way in college sports BUT no denying what he has done in record time.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2023 at 11:34 PM, RockThatBlue said:

We are a few weeks away or so from some CFB games! Who else is excited? Hoping my Kentucky Wildcats have a great season!

Would love to hear some thoughts as well on all of the conference realignments too...

Hey there! Good to see you.

I am not a fan of realignment. I like keeping traditional rivalries and what is going on now with all these teams changing conferences affects rivalries. I stopped watching college basketball when realignment became a yearly thing. I think I probably won't be watching much college football either. The only reason I would watch is to see the players that may play in the NFL after their college careers are over.

Enjoy the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Hey there! Good to see you.

I am not a fan of realignment. I like keeping traditional rivalries and what is going on now with all these teams changing conferences affects rivalries. I stopped watching college basketball when realignment became a yearly thing. I think I probably won't be watching much college football either. The only reason I would watch is to see the players that may play in the NFL after their college careers are over.

Enjoy the season.

My heyday as a fan came in the 80's and 90's when my Huskers could get 10 wins in their sleep. 3 AP National Championships = 1994, 1995, 1997. The 1983 team would have been National Champions had Osborne just kicked the extra point and not gone for 2 at the end of the game vs Miami (a tie would have gave them the title). The 1987 team was outstanding as well, blowing teams out all year but they got tripped up by Oklahoma at the end. Since the 2000's began, my Huskers have been a pile of poo homer simpson GIF

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 8:27 AM, holeymoley99 said:

I think USC wins it all, was 1 game and 1 Williams injury from playoffs last year in year one of Riley, he has brought in enough quality to fix the leaky D.  4 new D line starters who all transferred in and  started for other squads last season.

The O will miss a few stars like Addison and Dye BUT brought in even more in Dorian Singer who led Pac 12 in receiving yards for Arizona last season and Marshawn Lloyd who was South Carolina leading rusher (Not to mention 3 starting O Lineman who started transferred in and also started at other schools last season).

Riley has become king of the transfer portal and the debate is definitely out there if it should be this way in college sports BUT no denying what he has done in record time.

Agree that USC will be tough. Interested to see how UGA will be with a new starting QB. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nebraska just isn't Nebraska anymore. Another loss to Minnesota 13-10. We just don't have that mojo like we had in the 80's and 90's.

USC looks powerful on offense, Caleb Williams is a beast. I think the Final Four will end up being Georgia and Alabama - both will get in IMO even if one of them has 1 loss, the other 2 teams will be Michigan and USC.

How about those Colorado Buffaloes! Before the season I bet $100 that they will win 6 games or more. They only won 1 last year. They took out TCU at TCU! 1-0 so far. They play my Huskers next week and it pains me to say, they will win that game as well lmao . Deion is just a winner and why he is in my Elite 8 players of all-time.

My top 8 players of all-time are:

1. Tom Brady

2. Joe Montana

3. Peyton Manning

4. Lawerence Taylor

5. Jerry Rice

6. Jim Brown

7. Ray Lewis

8. Deion Sanders

The top 3 are QB's, but it is and always has been a QB league. After that I gave the nod to Taylor. To me, LT is the greatest defensive player of all-time. He could rush the passer with the best of them and play great pass defense for a LB. Jerry Rice is the greatest WR of all-time, Brown is the greatest RB of all-time, Lewis is the greatest MLB and general of all-time - he was a coach on the field for his D, Deion is the greatest Cover Corner plus he could play WR, PR, and KR. He shut half the field down on defense.

I'm all in on Coach Prime. Was always a fan and last year the things he did with that school and his son were exceptional. I hope Shedeur starts to get noticed now. Boulder is one of my favorite cities in the U.S. along with Co. Springs. Visited the Colorado campus when I was 12 and was hooked on being a Colorado fan ever since. 

• Like 1

Man, so far a good day for me in College football. Oregon State is destroying, hopefully if they have a great year someone will let us join their conference so we don’t have to go to a non-power conference and Alabama is looking super weak at the QB position. They may be looking at a two loss season at best. 

On 9/4/2023 at 2:16 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nebraska just isn't Nebraska anymore. Another loss to Minnesota 13-10. We just don't have that mojo like we had in the 80's and 90's.

USC looks powerful on offense, Caleb Williams is a beast. I think the Final Four will end up being Georgia and Alabama - both will get in IMO even if one of them has 1 loss, the other 2 teams will be Michigan and USC.

How about those Colorado Buffaloes! Before the season I bet $100 that they will win 6 games or more. They only won 1 last year. They took out TCU at TCU! 1-0 so far. They play my Huskers next week and it pains me to say, they will win that game as well lmao . Deion is just a winner and why he is in my Elite 8 players of all-time.

My top 8 players of all-time are:

1. Tom Brady

2. Joe Montana

3. Peyton Manning

4. Lawerence Taylor

5. Jerry Rice

6. Jim Brown

7. Ray Lewis

8. Deion Sanders

The top 3 are QB's, but it is and always has been a QB league. After that I gave the nod to Taylor. To me, LT is the greatest defensive player of all-time. He could rush the passer with the best of them and play great pass defense for a LB. Jerry Rice is the greatest WR of all-time, Brown is the greatest RB of all-time, Lewis is the greatest MLB and general of all-time - he was a coach on the field for his D, Deion is the greatest Cover Corner plus he could play WR, PR, and KR. He shut half the field down on defense.

Only college football bet I have made this year was a before season bet. I laid $100 on Colorado to win 6 games or more. They only won 1 game last year. I am half way there already, Colorado won again. They are now 3-0.

Tonight Show Coach GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/10/2023 at 8:27 AM, holeymoley99 said:

USC D has much more talent then last year but missing assignments and numbers while better in ever facet arent as good as should be. Despite looking shaky still unbeaten and if the upset Notre Dame tomorrow they will leap in polls.

On 9/17/2023 at 2:30 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Only college football bet I have made this year was a before season bet. I laid $100 on Colorado to win 6 games or more. They only won 1 game last year. I am half way there already, Colorado won again. They are now 3-0.

Tonight Show Coach GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Looks like I am 1 game away from collecting $100. Deion is up big tonight. That will put them at 5-2.

On 8/11/2023 at 7:23 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The 1983 team would have been National Champions had Osborne just kicked the extra point and not gone for 2 at the end of the game vs Miami (a tie would have gave them the title). homer simpson GIF

That decision would've hurt.

Unnecessary when your focus should've been on the title...

When you're about to win the war, rather not worry about every battle's result....

Said by ... 

legends of the hidden temple nicksplat GIF

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

That decision would've hurt.

Unnecessary when your focus should've been on the title...

When you're about to win the war, rather not worry about every battle's result....

Said by ... 

legends of the hidden temple nicksplat GIF

At that time, the media and almost everyone was saying that Nebraska team would be the greatest team of all-time if they finish the deal vs Miami going into that game. That had to be going through Osborne's head. A tie still would have gave them the title. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

It’s homecoming for Ball State today. Unfortunately it will be more entertaining to enjoy the festivities than the actual game. The Cardinals are a pathetic 1-6 on the season. One of the worst teams in the nation right now. 

I think you've not watched Cardinals games, they are playing with a QB taken from practice squad of some other team few days before the start of the season, and still he's played okay to keep the offense moving. Their offense was doing well until James Conner got injured, and only after that offense has started to struggle and Dobbs started making fumbles and interceptions. If an NFL team performs this well with ZERO off-season training with the QB, that's not the worst team. They have performed well and better than Colts did every game last season.

Cardinals had to release few good defensive players, but the defense is doing okay too, probably because of the defensive head coach.

Following teams have done much worse than Cardinals so far:

Patriots

Bears

Panthers

Giants

Broncos

Teams like Titans, Commanders, Vikings, Bucs, Falcons, Raiders, Saints, Packers and Browns haven't done much better than Cardinals with much better talent and full off-season programs.

Cardinals are 1-5, not 1-6, before James Conner injury in first two weeks, they were leading at the start of 4th quarter against Commanders and Giants, while going into prevent defense and giving up last minute TDs and FGs. They could have been 3-3 now. With no run game and new QB in the system, they are still not pushovers now, and I'm actually impressed seeing the fight in their games.

If Kyler Murray comes in, and if he can't win with this team, he's not good enough.

Same for any college QB, if Caleb Williams or any QB doesn't want to go to Arizona, I will seriously doubt if they have sound football mind. 

59 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think you've not watched Cardinals games, they are playing with a QB taken from practice squad of some other team few days before the start of the season, and still he's played okay to keep the offense moving. Their offense was doing well until James Conner got injured, and only after that offense has started to struggle and Dobbs started making fumbles and interceptions. If an NFL team performs this well with ZERO off-season training with the QB, that's not the worst team. They have performed well and better than Colts did every game last season.

Cardinals had to release few good defensive players, but the defense is doing okay too, probably because of the defensive head coach.

Patriots

Bears

Panthers

Giants

Broncos

Teams like Titans, Commanders, Vikings, Bucs, Falcons, Raiders, Saints, Packers and Browns haven't done much better than Cardinals with much better talent and full off-season programs.

Cardinals are 1-5, not 1-6, before James Conner injury in first two weeks, they were leading at the start of 4th quarter against Commanders and Giants, while going into prevent defense and giving up last minute TDs and FGs. They could have been 3-3 now. With no run game and new QB in the system, they are still not pushovers now, and I'm actually impressed seeing the fight in their games.

If Kyler Murray comes in, and if he can't win with this team, he's not good enough.

Same for any college QB, if Caleb Williams or any QB doesn't want to go to Arizona, I will seriously doubt if they have sound football mind. 

He was talking at Ball St Cardinals not Arizona ......

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Patriots

Bears

Panthers

Giants

Broncos

It’s not your fault, as you’re in India and have probably never heard of my Alma mater: Ball State University is located in a city in Indiana called Muncie. Our mascot is the Cardinals, and we’re a division I school even though we seem to suck at almost everything lol…

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

It’s not your fault, as you’re in India and have probably never heard of my Alma mater: Ball State University is located in a city in Indiana called Muncie. Our mascot is the Cardinals, and we’re a division I school even though we seem to suck at almost everything lol…

LMAO .. thanks for clearing that up. My bad, I should've read twice why it was in college football thread  haha 

sorry, I wish I could make an argument why Ball State Cardinals are actually good :P

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Caleb Williams loses again against a ranked team and yes we can blame him because here was his stats:

256 yards passing = good but nothing eye popping, 0 TDs, 10 carries for 27 yards and 1 TD. Utah won at USC as well.

Well, no one is super man in this tiny little dot of the universe...

Maybe, his father needs to calm down, and take a step back to his couch and let coaches and good people help make better decisions for his son?

I've a big problem with his dad talking about his son's life choices in the national media.. in home, yes. But, even then you can advise and let your son take decisions and deal with his life. If his dad is his agent, it's gonna be worse than JT's agent :P

10 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I've come across in the past about Ball State Cardinals, but not following college football I had forgotten them instantly.

I can recall Stanford Cardinals just out of my memory, and I've come across lots of Cardinals teams in all levels from high school, etc ., 

Stanford is the Cardinal no s anymore changed that in early 1980'S

10 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Well, no one is super man in this tiny little dot of the universe...

Maybe, his father needs to calm down, and take a step back to his couch and let coaches and good people help make better decisions for his son?

I've a big problem with his dad talking about his son's life choices in the national media.. in home, yes. But, even then you can advise and let your son take decisions and deal with his life. If his dad is his agent, it's gonna be worse than JT's agent :P

The media treats him like Superman. I just don't see it. I think he will probably be a good Pro but he hasn't shown me anything to say, this guy is going to be great and dominate. When Luck came out I knew he would be very good to great.

On 10/21/2023 at 11:48 PM, RollerColt said:

Well they did win today! 

They are not a good team (Ball State) but they played well on Saturday.   I was at the game.  My daughter organizes Homecoming and was recognized on the field so I had to be there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

They are not a good team (Ball State) but they played well on Saturday.   I was at the game.  My daughter organizes Homecoming and was recognized on the field so I had to be there.  

Congrats to your daughter! I usually try to go every year to homecoming but sadly missed it this time around. Hopefully we'll have some winning days ahead once our freshman QB gets more experience. 

• 2 weeks later...

Air Force sure laid an egg vs Army with James Madison ineligible still for fbs bowls looks like Liberty has the inside track for group of 5. They have played amazing football so far with a qb-rb combo among the best. Kaidon Salter is on all QAB lists and Quinton Cooley the Wake transfer has been unstoppable.

• 2 weeks later...

There were some great college games yesterday, Mich-OSU, Ala-Aub, Wash-WSU, etc.  I may need a new remote from all the channel switching I was doing.  The last 5 or 6 minutes of the Alabama Auburn game was wild.  Very enjoyable Saturday of college football.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

There were some great college games yesterday, Mich-OSU, Ala-Aub, Wash-WSU, etc.  I may need a new remote from all the channel switching I was doing.  The last 5 or 6 minutes of the Alabama Auburn game was wild.  Very enjoyable Saturday of college football.

The fun has just started, wait until next week when Washington takes on Oregon again. That 1st game was the game of the year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The fun has just started, wait until next week when Washington takes on Oregon again. That 1st game was the game of the year.

I am hoping that next week is as good as last Saturday.  Personally, I am hoping for a little chaos, that would mean Alabama beating Georgia, Oregon beating Washington, Texas beating Okla. St. and Louisville beating Fla. St.  It's probably too much to ask for Iowa to beat Michigan though.  I'm not sure what the CFP committee would do if all that happened.  Bottom line, I just want to see several very good games.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

Sorry @2006Coltsbestever Deion and his son Shedeur got too full of themselves and ahead of themselves for your 6 win bet to materialize.

I want "someone" to beat Georgia, I am getting tired of them. I am curious to see Michigan in the playoffs. 

Which year is the 8 team playoff format going to start?

Yeah the Buffs fell short. I thought I had it in the bag, then disaster happened. Win some, lose some. I think in 2025 it goes to a 12 team playoff.

14 hours ago, chad72 said:

Sorry @2006Coltsbestever Deion and his son Shedeur got too full of themselves and ahead of themselves for your 6 win bet to materialize.

I want "someone" to beat Georgia, I am getting tired of them. I am curious to see Michigan in the playoffs. 

Which year is the 8 team playoff format going to start?

I did at least get my money back. I had Michigan last week and gave the 3.5. I had to try and get back to even. They won by 6. Only 2 college bets i have made all year. 2024 is going to be wild with 12 teams in it.

Regarding this season, I am rooting for Michigan to win it all. I would be OK with Washington or Oregon as well.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I did at least get my money back. I had Michigan last week and gave the 3.5. I had to try and get back to even. They won by 6. Only 2 college bets i have made all year. 2024 is going to be wild with 12 teams in it.

Regarding this season, I am rooting for Michigan to win it all. I would be OK with Washington or Oregon as well.

After the sign stealing saga allegations, Michigan is going to operate with a chip on their shoulder the rest of the way, IMO.

• Like 1