Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

General Training Camp News around the NFL

NFLfan

Just now, NFLfan said:

@Jared Cisneros I know you follow the Broncos. Reports are that Dalton Risner is visiting the Vikings. What are your thoughts on him? Why is he still unsigned, given the need for OL throughout the NFL?

I understand Risner is good at pass protection.

Risner was on a poor offensive line last year on the Broncos. There are three reasons why I think the Broncos specifically didn't re-sign him. 

1.) He wanted too much money at the time. His price may have went down now that we're later in FA.

2.) He had issues with the team. Probably with Nathaniel Hackett as the HC.

3.) As you said, he's good at pass protection, but I don't believe he is very good at run-blocking. The Broncos are going to be a run-heavy team this year, and we signed McGlinchey and Powers as run blockers. Risner wasn't a fit.

All of these together probably contribute why he isn't signed yet. I'm just looking at it from the Broncos point of view though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• NFLfan changed the title to General Training Camp News around the NFL
  • 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@VikingsFanInChennai   Cook is the newest member of the Jets. They have a strong team. 

Kareem Hunt would be nice... Like Chubb and Hunt combo Stefanski had in Cleveland. If Chandler is good, there are more years in the contract with Vikings but Hunt would give them more threat and experience in the back field.

There was news about Hunt visiting Vikings, has it already happened? 

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Kareem Hunt would be nice... Like Chubb and Hunt combo Stefanski had in Cleveland. If Chandler is good, there are more years in the contract with Vikings but Hunt would give them more threat and experience in the back field.

There was news about Hunt visiting Vikings, has it already happened? 

I hope not. I want us to stick with Chandler and McBride.

Now that the Vikes saved $2million from Cook's contract, they may be in position to add Hunt. But I hope not

33 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Now that the Vikes saved $2million from Cook's contract, they may be in position to add Hunt. But I hope not

I think McBride is average, he's not ready for NFL action, definitely not this year.

I saw some hype for him, but not sure what exactly impressed them.

Hopefully, Mattison and Chandler could help, but they also seem to carry some injuries and haven't faced full workload or even be available all year even as backup so I don't really trust the run game to be able to complement the offense the way it is .

I think coach is shooting his foot himself. 

44 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Let's see with the 7 million they were able to afford to a Tight End Josh Oliver and the huge trade they made previous year for TJ Hock rather than for Dalvin Cook, if they at least use them in our offense enough to justify the cost and the results.

I don't think they're spending the cap wisely.

But, if they do have a better plan for the offense, let's see what they do. 

With all the emphasis they've made on passing game leaving the run game in peril, they may get into 3rd & Long often and they'd end up passing behind or around LOS. I'm afraid games would be frustrating this year. 

6 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think McBride is average, he's not ready for NFL action, definitely not this year.

I saw some hype for him, but not sure what exactly impressed them.

Hopefully, Mattison and Chandler could help, but they also seem to carry some injuries and haven't faced full workload or even be available all year even as backup so I don't really trust the run game to be able to complement the offense the way it is .

I think coach is shooting his foot himself. 

I don't believe Mattison has missed time with injuries. I like Mattison a lot. He reminds me of Cook but may be more durable than Cook. He may not have Cook's speed. Chandler is okay. McBride scares me because he has a history of fumbles. I don't know much about him.

I just don't want to pay for a guy (Hunt) to come in and spend only one year. To me that does not help in team building. Draft well and retain the guys you drafted. Sign some undrafted free agents and make some key trades. That is my approach to team building. I am not a fan of signing free agents who have no allegiance to the team.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I don't believe Mattison has missed time with injuries. I like Mattison a lot. He reminds me of Cook but may be more durable than Cook. He may not have Cook's speed. Chandler is okay. McBride scares me because he has a history of fumbles. I don't know much about him.

Remember the last two games of 2021 when Cook had to sit out and everyone was getting Mattison in FF, and he was projected to be starter on all easy matchup but he either had injury or struggled mightily. I recall something similar, and it seemed to be the case everytime Mattison had to be rb1. Maybe, I am remembering it wrong. He had some good games too, but not really sure how he's gonna do as workhorse. 

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I just don't want to pay for a guy (Hunt) to come in and spend only one year. To me that does not help in team building. Draft well and retain the guys you drafted. Sign some undrafted free agents and make some key trades. That is my approach to team building. I am not a fan of signing free agents who have no allegiance to the team.

Your strategy is right in general, but that doesn't equate to RB position. RBs are casted off after only few years, so it's not really building from the draft. To expect any drafted RB to come out swinging, we'll need to have an offense like Kyle Shanahan does. So, I would not mind getting Hunt on one year deal, to help the offense, and that relates with how NFL and Vikings especially handle RB position anyway. I don't think getting Hunt really takes the opportunities from other good RBs in the roster. Hunt isn't workhorse type but can really do well for 50% of run game snaps, so others would get their share, and may the best out of them help the team this year. 

20 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Remember the last two games of 2021 when Cook had to sit out and everyone was getting Mattison in FF, and he was projected to be starter on all easy matchup but he either had injury or struggled mightily. I recall something similar, and it seemed to be the case everytime Mattison had to be rb1. Maybe, I am remembering it wrong. He had some good games too, but not really sure how he's gonna do as workhorse. 

Your strategy is right in general, but that doesn't equate to RB position. RBs are casted off after only few years, so it's not really building from the draft. To expect any drafted RB to come out swinging, we'll need to have an offense like Kyle Shanahan does. So, I would not mind getting Hunt on one year deal, to help the offense, and that relates with how NFL and Vikings especially handle RB position anyway. I don't think getting Hunt really takes the opportunities from other good RBs in the roster. Hunt isn't workhorse type but can really do well for 50% of run game snaps, so others would get their share, and may the best out of them help the team this year. 

I hear what you are saying. There is no less expensive, younger player than Hunt? I'm sure there will be RBs available after teams cut rosters to 53.

Did Fournette retire? He has not garnered any interest? I'm not really a fan of his either. One of the frequent posters on DN (display name starts with a C) had the same sentiments as you. He asked me what I thought of JD McKissic.

I would not mind getting Latavius Murray back.