Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Justin Fields - POSSIBLE Draft Impact

Realizing this is the start of LYING Season..... AND its a slow season for news.....

Many rumors coming out of Chicago with some other teams believe that its a 75% chance that they trade him

The talking heads are coming out against and for (Of course to get clicks)

Lets say its only a 25% chance.......

IF (A BIG IF) the Bears fall in love with QB1 (Young)

The Texans will probably take Stroud

The big question

If Fields is on the block for the 4th AND a Bears 2nd rounder.... (4th is too early alone)

Would you take the trade?

Fields had ZERO line last year and was beat up

Hurts threw for 52% in year 1, He improved to 61.3% Year 2

Fields threw for 58.9% in year 1 and improved to 60.4% Year 2

Steichan was at least a contributor in developing Hurts as well as Herbert

Maybe be could take Fields to the next level

Guys, my first choice is Stroud, Then Young

If they have both been taken

I would rather have Fields over Levis..........  And it may come down to exactly that

What say you?

(My SCARLET colored glass may be blinding me a bit  :)

19 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Yup   I think he still has potential to be very good.   And our rushing attach would be insane   Still would like Hooker in round 2 or 3 

The saying is...... You HAVE to have a mobile QB

Fields has that down.....If he can improve his passing just a bit, maybe 3% points

AND

We get a RG that can actually play........ tied in with an excellent RB

One of the biggest benifits to the Bears is to get a QB with 5 more years on a rookie contract while they have excellent picks 

The 4th pick could also land them a stud DE that would be on a rookie contract as well.

A top 2 ranked rookie QB

A top 2 ranked rookie DL

All in one draft

Not as crazy as it seems

If they trade him , this simplifies the Colts draft significantly, because we won't have the chance to trade to no. 1, and at no. 2 the Texans won't trade that pick, so... Either we make a small trade up to 3 to secure the 3d QB or we stay put at 4.

If the Bears are giving up on Fields, I personally don't want us trading for him.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

If they trade him , this simplifies the Colts draft significantly, because we won't have the chance to trade to no. 1, and at no. 2 the Texans won't trade that pick, so... Either we make a small trade up to 3 to secure the 3d QB or we stay put at 4.

If the Bears are giving up on Fields, I personally don't want us trading for him.

If you listen to the talking heads, one of their points is that Chicago is a few years off from a playoff team, and getting a reset on the 5 year rookie contract is attractive, vs Fields which would need his deal in 2-3years.

I'm not saying that its going to happen, but if QB1 and QB2 are both gone.......(Possible outcome)

I like Fields MUCH better than Levis and Richardson

Our new coach has some solid experience with helping young QBs

Fields may be much less of a risk

22 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

If you listen to the talking heads, one of their points is that Chicago is a few years off from a playoff team, and getting a reset on the 5 year rookie contract is attractive, vs Fields which would need his deal in 2-3years.

I'm not saying that its going to happen, but if QB1 and QB2 are both gone.......(Possible outcome)

I like Fields MUCH better than Levis and Richardson

Our new coach has some solid experience with helping young QBs

Fields may be much less of a risk

My thinking is... QBs are rule wreckers. Let me ask you like this - if you truly believed Fields is the guy, that he's is on the verge of superstardom... would you trade him? Even if the rest of your roster is not ready? Why would anyone trade a franchise QB at age 23? What's the hurry? OK... you need 2 years to get your roster ready... he will be 25 then. 

I just don't think the Bears would trade Justin Fields if they thought he's a franchise QB. And if they as the team that has been working with him and developing him for 2 years, don't think he's a franchise QB, why should we think it? We did the same dance with the Eagles. We were like "well yeah, that environment was disfunctional there... he will be much better here, they are giving up on him cuz their superbowl winning coach is a scrub and can't handle the brilliance of Carson Wentz"... 

When the reality was much simpler... they gave up on him because they were around him for years and they saw him for what he was - a mediocre QB with questionable leadership that you are better off moving on from. 

The last time a team made a mistake with a really young QB where they gave up on him and turned out to be wrong was 20 years ago when the Charges let Brees go to NO... and they did it after having Rivers for 2 years in the building and spending a top pick on him, so they at least knew Rivers will probably be pretty good too so they didn't pay Brees.

45 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

35 and a player and maybe a pick next yr 

I would like that, but their whole purpose is to get an early DL AND a QB

But 4 by itself, seems like too much

35 would seem too late 

Again... its all conjecture at this stage 

Given your scenario I would trade for Fields in a heartbeat.  I believe Fields and Levis are the same age 23.  So Fields has two productive years in the NFL.  So that’s an easy trade for me.  I agree that we would need to trade our 4th.  And if we trade it I think we could get another pick back like I have said in another thread.  So we are thinking alike there.  
             Another thing.  Fields came out this week saying he hopes the Bears build a dome stadium.   He hates playing in the cold.  He thinks it affects his performance.  They are looking at a new stadium so it’s probably coming and years away.  So if I’m the Bears I think you have to wonder if it makes sense to invest in a quarterback who clearly has issues playing in cold weather.  The Packers are in their division with a potentially cold outdoor environment too.  For me it’s a conversation that they need to have.  The Colts are in a different conference and in need of a quarterback and we coincidentally play in a dome.  The stars have aligned , so to speak ,if they are blown away by one of the rookie quarterbacks.  That’s the key.  They have to be blown away.  We shall see I guess.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:30 AM, FalseStart said:

What would you give up for Fields? Im keeping pick 4 so Pick 35…

I’d be willing to go as far as giving up the 35th overall pick, Kenny Moore, and even Buckner in the deal for Fields and maybe a 2024 2nd. 

Or I’d consider dealing the 4th overall and Kenny Moore for Fields and the Bears 2024 1st. 

Archived