Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts claim DT

7 hours ago, w87r said:

Waived Scott Patchan in corresponding move to clear roster spot.

I can see it now, Patchan checking in for training camp.  The person at the desk says sorry you have been cut.  Do you need a ride back to Indy?

On 7/24/2022 at 2:03 AM, Farns01 said:

I can see it now, Patchan checking in for training camp.  The person at the desk says sorry you have been cut.  Do you need a ride back to Indy?

Well I can tell a story that has some similarities to this. Sometimes you pull a slap in the forehead move and this was one for me. Can't remember the exact year (had to be very early 2000s). Once again for those not familiar with my posts. I worked security for the College hosting Colts training camp from 1999 to 2010. The Colts did not have security (other than their head staff member) while at camp. It was security and police who worked the crowds and sometimes when the players would go to a local bar in THaute. Back to story....

On this particular day it if I remember right it was move-in day for the rookies (a Saturday) with the next day for the vets. There was already a few fans on campus looking to get an autograph and they were great. They stayed in roped off areas, didn't get in the way of any arriving vehicles, just the way you would want.

I'm out on patrol and I see a taxi stop at the main entrance to campus and this big hulking guy with a big gym bag get out. He starts walking up the entrance (this is probably 100 yards). I pull up and naturally offer the guy a ride to the administration office so he can sign in. He was only the 2nd guy to arrive and really early. Figured he must have really been excited. I know I would. So before I take him the Hulman Union I'm thinking about the dedicated fans and how respectful they have been and made our (staff) jobs easier not getting into stuff. I'm afraid I can't remember the guys name but of course we introduced ourselves. I explained to him about the fans and asked "I know you have more important things to do but would you mind signing a few autographs for some fans"? He agreed since it would only take a few extra minutes out of his time. I pull up to where the fans are and this gentle giant signs for the five who are waiting there. After many thanks and have a good season we roll on to the player sign-in destination.

So we're there at check-in and the nice ladies working the desk are very pleseant. After getting the guys name and seeing his ID there is a slight scramble going on. They're very apologetic about the wait but they can't seem to find his name on their player roster anywhere. So it took about 10 minutes total to find out I took a non player to check-in. Like I said he was this BIG BIG guy, explained he playerd DE in college, and was there for camp. Turned out he had actually called some radio show in New Orleans (where he lived) and talked on air to one of the Colts coaches who in a light hearted manner said you ought to try out for the team. This guy took is serious and came all the way from NO thinking he could try out that way. 

Well talk about feeling dumb and have egg on my face. I got the pleasure of taking him into town to hitch a ride on Greyhound back home. So I learned a good lesson. Just because someone is big and at training camp, maybe, just maybe they're just some big guy. 

So for those who are shaking their head wondering how unorganzied can you get. All my fault. The Colts for every camp have interns who wait at player entrances to sign them in. I simply bypassed this procedure and they never quesitioned me driving by in a marked vehicle. 

Final thought..... The most exciting thing is there are 5 loyal Colt fans with a autograph from some crazy guy from New Orleans. When their friends ask about that signature I'm sure they go I don't know/remember his name but he was big.

Yeah that would have been a good Cinderella story if he could have tried out and was good and was not crazy. Actually there was a part two to this story. I remember this one because this was the camp after the  SB and crowds were larger. During camp some college students were hired as extra eyes and ears (never assigned to  confront anyone) for security.  It was the last day of camp and the last practice had taken place.  Players waste no time and fly out of there as quick as possible. Side story (Marvin Harrison would already have his vehicle packed and parked in the roadway next to the Sports and Rec center building so he could walk out and drive away instead of in his residence parking  lot).... Back to story.... I get a call on the radio from some of the student workers Tony Dungy may need some help near an entrance/exit to the Sports Rec Center. I arrive and this big guy is pretty insistent Tony take this package with a video and bio information inside. Tony being the nice man he is trying to explain to the guy there is a process and that he would not be able to personally help him out. They have scouts whose job is to evaluate players. He'll be more than happy to give it to them but he can't help him. The guy was pretty agitated and didn't want to take no for an answer. I intervened and told coach I got this. I knew what I was dealing with because this was the same guy I have dealt with years earlier. Thankfully it ended well (since Coach Dungy did take the package) the guy cooperated and left peacefully. If I had to wrestle with this guy it would be ugly as he would have kicked my butt easy. Never ever saw him again and hope the fine folks in Anderson never had to deal with years after that. 

18 hours ago, PeytsBlocker said:

Well I can tell a story that has some similarities to this. Sometimes you pull a slap in the forehead move and this was one for me. Can't remember the exact year (had to be very early 2000s). Once again for those not familiar with my posts. I worked security for the College hosting Colts training camp from 1999 to 2010. The Colts did not have security (other than their head staff member) while at camp. It was security and police who worked the crowds and sometimes when the players would go to a local bar in THaute. Back to story....

On this particular day it if I remember right it was move-in day for the rookies (a Saturday) with the next day for the vets. There was already a few fans on campus looking to get an autograph and they were great. They stayed in roped off areas, didn't get in the way of any arriving vehicles, just the way you would want.

I'm out on patrol and I see a taxi stop at the main entrance to campus and this big hulking guy with a big gym bag get out. He starts walking up the entrance (this is probably 100 yards). I pull up and naturally offer the guy a ride to the administration office so he can sign in. He was only the 2nd guy to arrive and really early. Figured he must have really been excited. I know I would. So before I take him the Hulman Union I'm thinking about the dedicated fans and how respectful they have been and made our (staff) jobs easier not getting into stuff. I'm afraid I can't remember the guys name but of course we introduced ourselves. I explained to him about the fans and asked "I know you have more important things to do but would you mind signing a few autographs for some fans"? He agreed since it would only take a few extra minutes out of his time. I pull up to where the fans are and this gentle giant signs for the five who are waiting there. After many thanks and have a good season we roll on to the player sign-in destination.

Since you mentioned a Cab, I figured you were originally talking about E. James since he was known for taking a cab from Indy to TH.  Never forgot Manning showing up to the local bar wearing his hot pink sweats.  Some good memories of training camp in TH at RH.

6 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Since you mentioned a Cab, I figured you were originally talking about E. James since he was known for taking a cab from Indy to TH.  Never forgot Manning showing up to the local bar wearing his hot pink sweats.  Some good memories of training camp in TH at RH.

Edge caught the cab once I think.... He also liked to fish out front of the Union building.  He caught a big * carp one year and brought it in all excited wanting us to cook it up.... We cooked some cod or whatever we had in the freezer and served it to him and some of his buddies....lol

On 7/26/2022 at 2:12 AM, OhioColt said:

Ballyhoo, Sonkas, or 4th quarter?

On 7/26/2022 at 9:11 AM, Jackie Daytona said:

Edge caught the cab once I think.... He also liked to fish out front of the Union building.  He caught a big * carp one year and brought it in all excited wanting us to cook it up.... We cooked some cod or whatever we had in the freezer and served it to him and some of his buddies....lol

Man you guys had to cook a lot of food. Always got a kick out of the big curtain between the players and the regular staff. Like they were going to be swamped for autographs. Everyone had a job to do and maybe the first time seeing the more famous players you go that's pretty cool but then it was like wave, how ya doing, or simple nod they're just like anyone else.

Archived