Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We dont need Fleener

This years tight end class is awful, and the WR class is Good.

i know that everyone wants Fleener but what if per say we took jefffery/hill/wright this year, then deal with one year of crappy Tight end play, then take a guy like Tyler Eifert next year?

I do like Fleener but any other year he would be late 2nd early 3rd round

Thoughts

i know that everyone wants Fleener but what if per say we took jefffery/hill/wright this year, then deal with one year of crappy Tight end play, then take a guy like Tyler Eifert next year?

Thoughts

Because we have 1 tight end on the roster, Brody Eldridge. Whilst I like Tyler Eifert, we can't just play no tight end for a year.

Not only does Fleener have the chemistry with Luck, but he's the best tight end in the class and realistically in our reach at #34.

Im going 1-Luck

2-Janoris Jenkins or prefer Gilmore if hes their

3-AJ Jenkins, or Sanu, Criner, which ever one is their

4 Ta'amu

5 Dwayne Allen or Ladarius Green

5 Streeter

6 Baptiste

7 Linebacker

7 Guard

7 Wide Receiver

something along those lines or close

I'm starting to agree with that more and more as I do more research in the draft. Now if Fleener were there at 34 I think it will be very hard for the FO to pass him up. I personally do not see him falling that far in the draft anyways, and am now heavily in favor of Jeffery. If he grows up and stays motivated he will be an absolute steal at 34.

Im going 1-Luck

4 Ta'amu

5 Streeter

6 Baptiste

7 Linebacker

7 Guard

7 Wide Receiver

I'm seeing Ta'Amu on alot of peoples mock drafts (given they have to be taking with a grain of salt) has moved up to late 2nd/early 3rd range

Thoughts

I completely agree with this. This is a dreadfully poor TE class. Fleener will be over-valued this year for that reason. If Fleener is available at #34, I sincerely doubt he would truly be the best player available at that point, and I'd kind of be disappointed if we picked him.

Just remember: we don't have to pick up all the pieces for our team this year. Thinking so would be really short-sighted. I'd rather we get by *without* a high TE pick this year, and pick a truly elite TE next year.

Coby Fleener at 34 is a reach in terms of talent. We could survive a season of Brody Eldridge and a late pick, and pick Tyler Eifert next year. I'm not sure where Eifert is supposed to go, but if he is a 2nd round pick and we can get Luck Robert Woods with out 1st round pick, we're setting up Luck with elite weapons for almost his entire career.

Coby Fleener at 34 is a reach in terms of talent. We could survive a season of Brody Eldridge and a late pick, and pick Tyler Eifert next year. I'm not sure where Eifert is supposed to go, but if he is a 2nd round pick and we can get Luck Robert Woods with out 1st round pick, we're setting up Luck with elite weapons for almost his entire career.

eifert is supposed to be around early 20s, so we could trade down

Im going 1-Luck

4 Ta'amu

5 Streeter

6 Baptiste

7 Linebacker

7 Guard

7 Wide Receiver

why would we take 2 NT and 3 WR and taamu wont be there in the 4th and neither will dwayne allen

eifert is supposed to be around early 20s, so we could trade down

We could also take Joseph Fauria from UCLA, who supposed to be pretty good and is 6-8. Maybe we could even trade back into the 1st for Eifert. I would really like Robert Woods playing on the Colts in 2013.

We could also take Joseph Fauria from UCLA, who supposed to be pretty good and is 6-8. Maybe we could even trade back into the 1st for Eifert. I would really like Robert Woods playing on the Colts in 2013.

Man, I would love Woods too. Idk about trading up for Eifert. Haven't we learned our lesson about only building one side of the football?

why would we take 2 NT and 3 WR and taamu wont be there in the 4th and neither will dwayne allen

Because as it is now we only have one nose tackle on the team we need some depth, and relying on avery an collie to remain healthy is pretty risky and because Ta'amu tape never said early rounds, were going from everyone talking about Poe to suddenly moving Ta'amu up their close to Poe? and after Fleener their is absolutely no one being talked about at Tight End

Man, I would love Woods too. Idk about trading up for Eifert. Haven't we learned our lesson about only building one side of the football?

True, but I'm thinking we'll go defensive heavy this year, and we literally have no one at TE. I'm not comfortable moving forward with Brody Eldridge.

hate to break it but we will be lucky to get taamu in the 3RD! If we get taamu we will have mckinny for depth. at most 4 WRs can be on the field at once so by my calculations we would have 6 WR and two possibly draft picks or avery would never see the field.

Look at every ,ock draft Allen is a 2nd round prospect. taamu is not close to poe and idk where you got poe from becasue i didnt say that

True, but I'm thinking we'll go defensive heavy this year, and we literally have no one at TE. I'm not comfortable moving forward with Brody Eldridge.

nah they have to go offensive because if i was Luck i would be furious throwing to eldrige, avery , wayne, collie and having blockers like ours

Because as it is now we only have one nose tackle on the team we need some depth, and relying on avery an collie to remain healthy is pretty risky and because Ta'amu tape never said early rounds, were going from everyone talking about Poe to suddenly moving Ta'amu up their close to Poe? and after Fleener their is absolutely no one being talked about at Tight End

hate to break it but we will be lucky to get taamu in the 3RD! If we get taamu we will have mckinny for depth. at most 4 WRs can be on the field at once so by my calculations we would have 6 WR and two possibly draft picks or avery would never see the field.

Look at every ,ock draft Allen is a 2nd round prospect. taamu is not close to poe and idk where you got poe from becasue i didnt say that

Ta'amu is a 3-4 Nose Tackle, how many defenses run a 3-4? not many, you will be surprised how low he will drop, his combine wasnt that impressive, game tape certainly isnt either, heck if it wasnt for Poes combine no way would he be going in the first round let alone invited on draft day either, once again nobody is talking about any Tight End outside of Fleener

Ta'amu is a 3-4 Nose Tackle, how many defenses run a 3-4? not many, you will be surprised how low he will drop, his combine wasnt that impressive, game tape certainly isnt either, heck if it wasnt for Poes combine no way would he be going in the first round let alone invited on draft day either, once again nobody is talking about any Tight End outside of Fleener

about 13 teams including us. But keep in mind, even if the base defense is 3-4, doesn't mean they don't use a 4-3 40%-50% of the time.

about 13 teams including us. But keep in mind, even if the base defense is 3-4, doesn't mean they don't use a 4-3 40%-50% of the time.

yes but we will still need bigger defensive tackles to fill that role Mckinney isnt enough

just because this te class is week doesn't mean fleener isn't worthy of the 34th pick. dallas clark went in the first and i like fleener better than dc coming out of college.

and Clark's class in 2003 was also awful. It did produce some stars, but it was considered by many experts to be one of the weakest they've seen.

yes but we will still need bigger defensive tackles to fill that role Mckinney isnt enough

I wasn't arguing against that at all. It was just a response to how far someone would drop based on their ability to play in a given defense...in this case 3-4. Saying he might not drop as far as you think thats all.

nah they have to go offensive because if i was Luck i would be furious throwing to eldrige, avery , wayne, collie and having blockers like ours

If Cordy Glenn is there then sure, he's the BPA. But anyone else at 34 is a reach, but getting Brandon Brooks, Brandon Washington or Mitchell Schwartz in the 4th round would be nice.

I'm starting to agree with that more and more as I do more research in the draft. Now if Fleener were there at 34 I think it will be very hard for the FO to pass him up. I personally do not see him falling that far in the draft anyways, and am now heavily in favor of Jeffery. If he grows up and stays motivated he will be an absolute steal at 34.

I really think Jeffery is overrated. The only reason I say that is because at one time I thought the same as you, and then I started to watch him more closely. Not very fast, and didn't come in nearly as tall as he was said to be. Hill a MUCH better option. <---- Playmaker

If Cordy Glenn is there then sure, he's the BPA. But anyone else at 34 is a reach, but getting Brandon Brooks, Brandon Washington or Mitchell Schwartz in the 4th round would be nice.

i'm hoping the colts can get schwartz in the 3rd....

I really think Jeffery is overrated. The only reason I say that is because at one time I thought the same as you, and then I started to watch him more closely. Not very fast, and didn't come in nearly as tall as he was said to be. Hill a MUCH better option. <---- Playmaker

the only way I even want Jeffery I'd if hill or wright isn't there

Coby Fleener is a great talent. He is 6'6" 250lbs and ran a 4.45 forty at his pro day. The guy is a good blocker and can line up all over the field. He has been compared to Greg Olson, the TE of the Panthers formerly of the Bears.

Fleener would be a tremendous weapon in the passing and running game. When you see what a guy like that does for an offense like the Patriots, Panthers, or Bengals it makes sense to take him. Brody Elridge is not a number 1 TE. I am not even sure he is as good of a blocker as he has been made out to be.

Plus, the WRs available at 34 are unproven. Stephen Hill is a freak athletically but he will take a couple of years to learn the position. Sanu struggles to gain separation and run clean routes. Fleener would be the safer pick, if he is there.

Thoughts

I agree that this year's TE draft is terribly weak. Personally, I hope Donta Hightower is there at #34. Our defensive center would be bulletproof for the next 10 years with him and Angerer in the middle. Hightower has been team captain and making 3-4 defensive calls for Alabama for a couple of years, too. TE is a problem area, but I think we might be able to get by with a FA signee and a late-round pick like Kevin Koger from Michigan until next year. We do need at least two more WRs on the roster and this is an very strong draft at that position. Maybe not a large group of elite guys, but a huge group of very good ones (and BIG). Let's hope for a big find here because I'd feel better with Wayne moving back to #2 position and finding a new #1. With a new defensive scheme and all our cuts in personnel, we need help almost everywhere. This really is a "best available" draft for us as long as the best available fits scheme-wise. We'll have to patch any holes with inexpensive FA signees.