Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quenton Nelson

GoHorse1992

17 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

So I just want to know, why do you feel so comfortable giving Courtland Sutton that money, but you dont feel comfortable giving Q the money? My mind is boggled by this.

Like it or not, that is Q's market value. Hes the best OG in football, and the market suggests hes worth a certain amount based on the salaries of other guys at his position.

What has Courtland Sutton done to warrant that kind of salary? 

It seems like a huge risk. And if you want to take that risk I could understand that.......but give up the best OG in football too? 

No way man. 

You can say what you want but if Ballard did that I would be upset. 

Because he’s a WR and it’s okay to give a WR a huge contract but it’s not okay to give a guard a huge contract at least that seems to be the logic of those who want to give up on Nelson seem to think.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some things are being overlooked.

• Sutton missed last year due to injury, so not really fair/equitable to compare career stats with Pascal
  • Sutton is better than "good". He was pro-bowl his second year, and had 1100+ (top 20) despite a rotation of mediocrity at QB. He's on track for about 1300 this year, which would put him in top 10 territory. 
  • Pascal was a depth guy, and probably would still be a depth guy if injuries hadn't continually thrust him into starter level snaps. Pittman bumped him from X, and he's now backup X and timesharing slot. If TY were here, his snaps would be less.
  • Sutton IMO would have to be top 5ish multiple years to even approach the value of what Nelson brings to both the rushing and passing games. And his missing a year doesn't help with the value.

Not saying at all we should trade for him (we won't ever) lol... Just want folks to be practical on the context of the debate.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because he’s a WR and it’s okay to give a WR a huge contract but it’s not okay to give a guard a huge contract at least that seems to be the logic of those who want to give up on Nelson seem to think.

Nelson ain’t ever won me no fantasy championship.

22 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

So I just want to know, why do you feel so comfortable giving Courtland Sutton that money, but you dont feel comfortable giving Q the money? My mind is boggled by this.

Like it or not, that is Q's market value. Hes the best OG in football, and the market suggests hes worth a certain amount based on the salaries of other guys at his position.

What has Courtland Sutton done to warrant that kind of salary? 

It seems like a huge risk. And if you want to take that risk I could understand that.......but give up the best OG in football too? 

No way man. 

You can say what you want but if Ballard did that I would be upset. 

I don't want to do that trade. In fact, I said I'd rather have Big Q. I was only saying what was a fair trade. People with little knowledge of the Broncos are saying he either isn't good or Jeudy is better than him. Both which are inherently false. Yet, most people here don't even know that his career stats are skewed because he tore his ACL, and pretend like an average-at-best receiver like Pascal is better than him.

I live in Colorado, I know the Broncos better than anyone on this forum. Don't want to trade Nelson for Sutton, but I know Sutton is better than any WR on the Colts and was merely suggesting a fair trade WR-wise for Nelson.

Just now, EastStreet said:

He did if you had JT or Rivers last year.

Haha I knew someone would say it. You’re taking my posts too serious.

I find this trading Nelson for Sutton debate to be the only entertaining thing to do while I wait for the game to start.

Just now, Btown_Colt said:

Haha I knew someone would say it. You’re taking my posts too serious.

I find this trading Nelson for Sutton debate to be the only entertaining thing to do while I wait for the game to start.

I was absolutely being tongue and cheek back at you lol.... . Just because I love stats doesn't mean I missed your humor.

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think some things are being overlooked.

• Sutton missed last year due to injury, so not really fair/equitable to compare career stats with Pascal
  • Sutton is better than "good". He was pro-bowl his second year, and had 1100+ (top 20) despite a rotation of mediocrity at QB. He's on track for about 1300 this year, which would put him in top 10 territory. 
  • Pascal was a depth guy, and probably would still be a depth guy if injuries hadn't continually thrust him into starter level snaps. Pittman bumped him from X, and he's now backup X and timesharing slot. If TY were here, his snaps would be less.
  • Sutton IMO would have to be top 5ish multiple years to even approach the value of what Nelson brings to both the rushing and passing games. And his missing a year doesn't help with the value.

Not saying at all we should trade for him (we won't ever) lol... Just want folks to be practical on the context of the debate.

Right but couldnt we say some of that stuff for Pascal as well?

I mean he gets a lot less snaps than Sutton.

And he isnt the first option like he is. So his targets are likely much less. 

He is also on his fourth different QB. 

I get what youre saying and I think he is obviously superior to Zach. I was just putting those numbers out there because I dont see what hes done to earn a deal like that.

29 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Right but couldnt we say some of that stuff for Pascal as well?

I mean he gets a lot less snaps than Sutton.

And he isnt the first option like he is. So his targets are likely much less. 

He is also on his fourth different QB. 

I get what youre saying and I think he is obviously superior to Zach. I was just putting those numbers out there because I dont see what hes done to earn a deal like that.

Pascal has a few less snaps overall, but Pascal also has a bigger % of overall snaps (Pascal 88% vs Sutton 83%).

Pascal is just a few % points behind Pittman. Sutton and Patrick have similar %s in Denver. Fant is also focal point unlike our TEs.

Pascal is getting a lot of 1st read options, maybe not as much as Pittman, but getting a lot of first looks. One problem IMO is that Pascal has had a hands problem this year so far. 3 drops, which is tied for 6th most (and all the other guys have 1 more game).

Sutton has probably had worse QBs and as much of a mix. Pascal at least had two very good QBs two years.

Not trying to bag on Pascal. I just don't see him a starting X. He's a tweener. He's elite at doing a lot of little things. And he's definitely not a Z type, so his best position is likely at big slot (which almost always splits time with a traditional slot). He's a great 3rd/4th WR assuming you have prototypical Xs and Zs as starters.

Archived