Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MPJ

danlhart87

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We should have WRs (or others) in motion as much as possible. It makes the D easier to identify, and keeps the WR in motion from being pressed. I agree Reich has gone away from it. 

I don't see us going 2 back sets. That's just not Reich IMO. Would love to see it. 

I like a good mix of speed slot AND big/bully slot. I'm good with either slot type, or Z, running deep slants and crossers. Best zone buster route IMO. But prefer deep speed slants the most. 

With an accurate QB like Rivers, Pittman is like a bigger Edelman, if you want to call it that. We need to have staple 3rd down calls where he beats them with an in or out based on CB's hips and get the 1st down most of the time. It is one of those things like in those Peyton-Harrison-Wayne days and Brady-Welker-Edelman days "you knew it was coming but the execution was at such a high level that you couldn't stop it because those guys studied the CBs so well and could separate when they wanted".

Wentz does throw a bit high than Rivers, more like Luck in that aspect. Hence comebacks could sail unless, like you said, you have a size mismatch like Alshon Jeffery etc. to get it.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

With an accurate QB like Rivers, Pittman is like a bigger Edelman, if you want to call it that. We need to have staple 3rd down calls where he beats them with an in or out based on CB's hips and get the 1st down most of the time. It is one of those things like in those Peyton-Harrison-Wayne days and Brady-Welker-Edelman days "you knew it was coming but the execution was at such a high level that you couldn't stop it because those guys studied the CBs so well and could separate when they wanted".

Wentz does throw a bit high than Rivers, more like Luck in that aspect. Hence comebacks could sail unless, like you said, you have a size mismatch like Alshon Jeffery etc. to get it.

I believe Pittman or Strachan could learn those routes and develop chemistry. Both have speed and agility, and the size would make it more or less indefensible. And there's be more room for error. Just have to develop the chemistry. Pittman ran them well in college, so shouldn't be a stretch for him. Strachan is raw, but they need to start him out with a few limited routes, and let him get his feet wet. Injuries in other areas have likely kept him inactive some, but gonna bet we see more of him as the year goes on.

But I also believe a deep slant is almost indefensible against a lot of teams. You can hit that route anywhere (shallow or deep) and depending on the coverage, size or speed, or both, can be a huge mismatch. THill made his bones on that route, and runs it from slot and Z still. You see Mahomes hitting him at all depth, even when the Ds know exactly what is coming.

22 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This is a little off topic but have any of you guys been following Michaels Brother at Oregon?  He is a pretty good player. 

3rd year kid. Has a RB body. 

Quicker than fast. Not sure how he'll translate after college. 

Little surprised OR hasn't used him as an APB.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We should have WRs (or others) in motion as much as possible. It makes the D easier to identify, and keeps the WR in motion from being pressed. I agree Reich has gone away from it. 

I don't see us going 2 back sets much. That's just not Reich IMO. Would love to see it. 

I like a good mix of speed slot AND big/bully slot. I'm good with either slot type, or Z, running deep slants and crossers. Best zone buster route IMO. But prefer deep speed slants the most. 

This is absolutely correct.

You got to have WR's and RB's in motion to expose whether it is man to man or zone.

Then audible to the correct play to attack what the defense is doing.  Man to Man, cover 2, cover 3, cover 0, etc.  Are they blitzing.

When Frank first calls the play in, the defense may not be giving a real look.  

As the play clock runs down, Wentz needs to put the WR's in motion and check to the correct play when they give up the coverage they are running.

23 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

This is absolutely correct.

You got to have WR's and RB's in motion to expose whether it is man to man or zone.

Then audible to the correct play to attack what the defense is doing.  Man to Man, cover 2, cover 3, cover 0, etc.  Are they blitzing.

When Frank first calls the play in, the defense may not be giving a real look.  

As the play clock runs down, Wentz needs to put the WR's in motion and check to the correct play when they give up the coverage they are running.

Yup, but I'd go much simpler. 

Just about every play call should start in motion. 

And Wentz should have 2-3 preset options (at least this early) to choose from.

Some teams disguise more than others, and some have a larger array of coverages. 

Indy for instance has a large assortment of sets (not in the top 15 frequency of any one coverage except in quarters on 3rd)

Archived