Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

College NFL Draft Standouts

Week 1 is in the books for 2021 College Football

At this time, I haven't done any evaluating of QB's or offensive lineman but have broken down and gave initial round grades of some promising draftees.  The Colts are one of the Top-10 teams creating turnovers and have selected key defensive players to continue to watch as the season progresses in bold. 

FS Kyle Hamilton (ND) – Round 1 – create TOs. PFF Week 1 grade of 86.6

SS Brandon Joseph (Northwestern) – Round 1-2

FS Daxton Hill (Michigan) – Round 2

FS Kenderick Duncan JR (Louisville) – Round 2

FS Leon O’Neal JR (Texas A&M) – Round 2 – create TOs

SS Jaquan Brisker (PSU) – Round 2 – Week 1 PFF graded him 87.1 which was 2nd Highest

SS Xavier Henderson (Michigan St) Round 5-6

FS Joey Blount (Virginia) – Round 7

WR Romeo Doubs (Nevada) – Round 1-2

WR John Metchie III (Alabama) – Round 1-2

WR Erik Ezukanwa (Texas Tech) – Round 2

WR David Bell (Purdue) – Round 3

WR Ainias Smith (Texas A&M) – Round 3

WR Khalil Shakir (Boise St.) – Round 4

WR Ty Fryfogle – Round 4-5

WR Jalen Tolbert (South Alabama) – Round 5-6

WR Dontay Demus JR. (Maryland) – Round 5-6

TE Isaiah Likely (Coastal Carolina) – Round 2-3

TE Cole Turner (Nevada) – Round 3

TE Jake Ferguson (Wisconsin) Round 3-4

TE Derrick Deese JR (San Jose St.) Round 6

TE James Mitchell (Virginia Tech) – Round 6

TE Trae Barry (BC) – Round 6-7

CB Martin Emerson (Miss. St.) Round 2

NCB Chamarri Conner (Virginia Tech) - Round 3 - create TOs - Week 1 earned ACC Defensive Back – awarded legendary coach Frank Beamer’s jersey for standout efforts during ST practice.  Named 2021 Team Captain

CB Coby Bryant (Cincy) – Round 4 create TOs

CB Tariq Castro-Fields (PSU) - Round 5

CB Alontae Taylor (Tennessee) – Round 5

CB Ja’Sir Taylor (Wake Forest) Round 7 – Week 1 became first Wake Forest player to have a TD in his first career kickoff return.  First player of the 2021 season KR 99 yards and had an INT.

MLB Devin Lloyd (Utah) – Round 2 – create TOs - PAC-12 Defensive player in Week 1

MLB Ellis Brooks (PSU) - Round 4

LB or Edge Mitchell Agude (UCLA) – Round 4-5 – create TOs

LB Edefuan Ulofoshio (Washington) - Round 5

SLB Mike Rose (Iowa St) – Round 5

RB Zonovan Knight (NC St.) Round 2-3

LDT Travis Jones (UConn) Round 2-3

DT Zachary Carter (Florida) 3-4 LDE Round 3-4

RDT Dante Stills (West Virginia) – Round 6

Edge Amare Barno (Virginia Tech) – Round 3-4 create TOs - Spy LB (D.Leonard)

Let me know which players you are keeping track of and who else you might think the Colts could be interested in.

I'll add two of my personal favourites here:

WR Jahan Dotson

TE Cade Otton

I feel like next year's TE class will be very good and we might add to that room again, given that Jack Doyle is not getting any younger and only 750k of his 6m salary in 2022 is guaranteed. I like Doyle, but Otton or Likely are 2 guys I would rather have on this team, given their significantly higher athleticism. 

I absolutely love Jaquan Brisker as well, can't wait to draft him in all my IDP leagues.

Week 2 College Football is completed.

The majority of last week’s Wide Receivers continued to have solid outing this past weekend.

WR John Metchie III (Alabama)

WR Erik Ezukanwa (Texas Tech)

WR David Bell (Purdue)

WR Khalil Shakir (Boise St.)

WR Jalen Tolbert (South Alabama)

WR Dontay Demus JR. (Maryland)

Linebacker Mitchell Agude (UCLA) continues to put on a clinic with 6 more tackles and a sack.  He now has 10 total tackles, 1 sack and 2 forced fumbles.  Devin Lloyd also continues to find himself around the football with 13 total tackles along with 1 pass defended.  Lloyd should continue to make a case to be drafted on Day 1 as he now has 25 total tackles in two weeks along with 1 sack, 1 forced fumble and 1 interception.  Another player who is making a name for himself that has impressed me is NCB Chamarri Conner (VT).  Last week Conner had an interception and this week he had 1 sack along with 1 forced fumble to go with his 4 tackles.

This year’s tight end class is proving itself with Isaiah Likely (Coastal Carolina), Cole Turner (Nevada), Derrick Desse JR. (San Joe State), Trae Barry (BC).  As for defensive backs, Martin Emerson (Mississippi St.) is a Junior but has shown to be a top CB in the SEC.  Safety Joey Blount (Virginia) trying to boost this draft stock with another decent outing.  Strong Safety Xavier Henderson (Michigan St.) is off to a great Senior season after his Week 2 outing of 8 total tackles, 1 sack, 1 interception along with 1 pass defended.  Henderson now has 2 sacks along with 17 total tackles for the year.

As @PureLuck noted, Jahan Dotson has had two solid weeks. 

This week’s rise and shiner’s additions are:

The biggest performance of the week was CJ Verdell (Oregon) who had a field day against The Ohio State University.  Verdell racked up a total of 195 yards and 3 touchdowns helping Oregon defeat OSU.

After two weeks SAM LB Noah Taylor (Virginia) has 13 total tackles, 2 sacks, and a pass defended.  Taylor has shown a history of creating turnovers and defending passes.  Middle linebacker Nate Landman (Colorado) has been slow to create turnovers this season but now has 14 total tackles and 3 passes defended.

Defensive back Roger McCreary (Auburn) has been on my watch-list and he didn’t disappoint in Week 2 as he had 7 total tackles with one pick-6.  After a quiet Week 1, LCB Matt Hankins (Iowa) made a name for himself helping Iowa beat in-state rivals Iowa State by picking off 2 passes and defending 1 pass.

As @Kangaroo mentioned, Stanford’s QB Tanner McKee helped make Tight End Greg Dulcich presence known versus LSU this past weekend hauling in 3 catches for 117 yards and a touchdown.  Do have to give the big DT Dion Novil (North Texas) a shout out for his first career interception, picking off a pass and going 17 yards.  Novil now has 4 total tackles and is someone to continue to monitor as the season progresses.  Another player on my watch-list to add defensive line depth behind Grover Stewart is Ifeanyi Maijeh (Rutgers).  Maijeh had a solid 2019 and was slow to produce stats In Week 1 but in Week 2 he did have 3 solo tackles along with one sack.  Defensive tackle Will Choloh Jr. (Troy) is showing promise and now has 13 total tackles and 3 ½ sacks after two weeks.  According to PFF, in 2020 Choloh ranked third nationally among IDL with a 90.3 pass rush grade.  He also ranked fourth nationally with 31 pressures.

With Wentz starting Week 1 for the Colts I haven't had anytime to look at college quarterbacks nor offensive lineman.  I may need to do more research on offensive lineman, especially after the way the Colt's offensive line played in Week 1.  

Am sure my scouting list may be lacking a few eligible Junior/Senior's for the upcoming Draft.  Please feel fee to add who you think has Colt's potential and has improved their draft stock.

Some other notable players who have been playing well the first few weeks of the college season are:

WILL Olakunle Fatukasi (Rutgers)

SAM Adam Anderson (Georgia)

3-4 LILB Avery Roberts (Oregon State)

Edge Ochaun Mathis (TCU)

Edge Aidan Hutchinson (Michigan)

Edge DeAngelo Malone (Western Kentucky)

Edge Trajan Jeffcoat (Missouri)

LDT Travis Jones (UConn)

LDE Zachary Carter (Florida)

3-4 RDE Phidarian Mathis (Alabama)

FS Verone McKinley III (Oregon)

FS Lewis Cine (Georgia)

FS Dell Pettus (Troy)

On 9/18/2021 at 1:29 PM, NorthernColt said:

Really hope Wentz works out for us, cause this QB class aint it. Rattler extremely inconsistent, Howell looks like Baker lite. Ballards in Indiana today to watch the game versus Cincinnati, and I'd assume, Ridder, who also is having a brutal game.

This is my biggest fear. If Wentz ends up flaming out, we're going to be in QB hell for years to come. There is no future Andrew Luck type of player on the horizon for this team unfortunately. 

On 9/20/2021 at 9:36 AM, RollerColt said:

This is my biggest fear. If Wentz ends up flaming out, we're going to be in QB hell for years to come. There is no future Andrew Luck type of player on the horizon for this team unfortunately. 

After the recent setback to Wentz and his career injury history the Colts may have no choice to look elsewhere for a starting QB.  Guess always wishful thinking Andrew Luck will come out of retirement.  QB Matt Corral (Ole Miss) is making a name for himself and now is a Heisman front-runner to consider if Wentz doesn't play up to his trade value with the Eagles and the Colts do secure a Round 1 pick.

The family and I took a mini vacation this weekend so I missed a lot of great football but here are my Week 3 producers.

Three of my favorite CBs that have grown on me are Roger McCreary (Auburn), Chamarri Connor (Virginia Tech), and Ahmad Gardner (Cincy).  Although Gardner didn't have a big stat day he did hold IU's star receiver Ty Fryfogle to a single catch for 13 yards.

The following players continue to have a solid 2021 going for them after this week:

RB Kyren Williams (ND)

SS Kendarin Ray (Tulsa)

SLB Merlin Robertson) (Arizona State)

LDE Jermaine Johnson (Florida State)

RDE Sam Williams (Ole Miss)

WILL Olakunle Fatukasi (Rutgers)

WR Jahan Dotson (PSU)

Another week of College Football is in the books and some new NFL draft prospects are rising up the boards.

RB Breece Hall (Iowa State) started out slow but has continued to elevate his game.  On 9/25 he had 27 attempts with 190 yards with 2 TDs along with 5 receptions for 51 yards and another TD.  On the year he now has 428 total yards rushing along with 6 TDs and 14 receptions for 106 yards and his touchdown this week.  PFF also graded him 82.8 after 4 Weeks.

Another Iowa State player that has caught my eye is DT Eyimoa Uwazurike.  Uwazurike who was graded by PFF with an 82.5 after 4 Weeks.  He now has 14 total tackles, 3 sacks, and 1 pass defended.

Graduate transfer, DT Cory Durden (North Carolina State) played a key part in helping his team upset Clemson with 6 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

DT Dion Novil (North Texas) continues to impress week after week adding another 3 total tackles with 2 forced fumbles.

FS Verone McKinley III (Oregon).  After 4 Weeks he continue to show up in the stat column with 6 more total tackles and another INT.  He now has 23 total tackles, 1 FF, and 4 INTs.

SS Xavier Henderson (Michigan State) this past weekend has 17 total tackles.  He now has 42 total tackles, 2 sacks, 1 INT, and 1 pass defended.

FS Joey Blount (Virginia) has also been racking up tackles on the years and now has 37 total tackles along with 1 pass defended.

LDE Jermaine Johnson (Florida State) - Team now is off to an 0-4 start but he has 31 total tackles, 5.5 sacks and 1 pass defended while earning ACC DL of the Week honors.

Edge Alie Gaye (LSU) needs to stay healthy as he has only plaed 2 weeks but now has 10 total tackles and 2 sacks.

WR Treylon Burks (Arkansas) had a big day vs #7 TA&M with 6 catches and 167 yards with 1 TD plus 1 rushing attempt for 14 yards.  On the season Burks now has 19 receptions for 373 yards and 3 rushing attempts for 14 yards.

WR Jahan Dotson continues to show up weekly after catching 7 passes for 117 yards and another touchdown.  Dotson now has 362 yards catching with 4 TDs.

The next two players are just Sophomores but have shown to have a promising future in the NFL:

WR Josh Downs (UNC) - After 4 Weeks he has 32 receptions for 452 yards and 5 TDs

Safety Isheem Young (Iowa State) - PFF graded him 83.5 after 4 weeks where he now has 17 total tackles, 1 FF, and 2 INTs.

Some guys I like who I've personally watched this season and last season. I'll try and select more of the unheralded guys rather than the guys everyone already knows about.

Tyler Allgeier, RB, BYU: I guess no longer a secret in NCAA, after his last game (ran for 218 with 3 TDs) now leads the league in rushing. Had a ridiculous chasedown strip tackle after his QB fumbled the ball a week earlier. Similar to DK Metcalfs last year. Watched him alot last year when I was trying to get looks at Zach Wilson, and he always caught my eye. Does everything well.

Charlie Kolar, TE, Iowa State: Could easily be our Doyle replacement. Like Allgeier above, just solid all round. I don't think he's going to be a world beater or anything, but a solid reliable inline TE that blocks well in the run game.

Dontay Demus Jr, WR, Maryland: Guy has just has it. Suddenness, catch in traffic. Lil tua's favorite target. Just suffered a gruesome knee injury which might end his season. Which might lower his draft stock so we might be able to grab him in the 4th or later. Alpha type receiver.

Isaiah Foskey, DE, Notre Dame: Big DE who has always played well against the run. This year his pass rush is much improved already matching his sack total from last season at 4.5 with much of the year still to go. As we all know, we need to keep taking flyers on pass rush until one of them atleast hits lol. Comes from a great defensive program too.

Brandon Smith, LB, Penn: One of the leaders on one of the nations best defensive units. Definitely can see him as a 3 down linebacker who can hold up vs the pass and run. Playmaker. I think we will need one considering Oke's issues this year and Leonards injuries.

Jordan Addison, WR, Pittsburgh: Picketts favorite receiver who leads the league in TD's. Similar to Demus in build and attitude. Playing with smaller programs they don't get as much recognition but honestly might be just as good.

Ahmed Gardiner, CB, Cincinnati: Has the length we like, can completely take receivers out of a game. Ability to press and has recovery speed to boot. Not a big secret here, but would definitely not hate if he was our first pick.

Those are just a few for now, I'll update more throughout the year.

On 10/3/2021 at 11:26 AM, NorthernColt said:

Some guys I like who I've personally watched this season and last season. I'll try and select more of the unheralded guys rather than the guys everyone already knows about.

Tyler Allgeier, RB, BYU: I guess no longer a secret in NCAA, after his last game (ran for 218 with 3 TDs) now leads the league in rushing. Had a ridiculous chasedown strip tackle after his QB fumbled the ball a week earlier. Similar to DK Metcalfs last year. Watched him alot last year when I was trying to get looks at Zach Wilson, and he always caught my eye. Does everything well.

Charlie Kolar, TE, Iowa State: Could easily be our Doyle replacement. Like Allgeier above, just solid all round. I don't think he's going to be a world beater or anything, but a solid reliable inline TE that blocks well in the run game.

Dontay Demus Jr, WR, Maryland: Guy has just has it. Suddenness, catch in traffic. Lil tua's favorite target. Just suffered a gruesome knee injury which might end his season. Which might lower his draft stock so we might be able to grab him in the 4th or later. Alpha type receiver.

Isaiah Foskey, DE, Notre Dame: Big DE who has always played well against the run. This year his pass rush is much improved already matching his sack total from last season at 4.5 with much of the year still to go. As we all know, we need to keep taking flyers on pass rush until one of them atleast hits lol. Comes from a great defensive program too.

Brandon Smith, LB, Penn: One of the leaders on one of the nations best defensive units. Definitely can see him as a 3 down linebacker who can hold up vs the pass and run. Playmaker. I think we will need one considering Oke's issues this year and Leonards injuries.

Jordan Addison, WR, Pittsburgh: Picketts favorite receiver who leads the league in TD's. Similar to Demus in build and attitude. Playing with smaller programs they don't get as much recognition but honestly might be just as good.

Ahmed Gardiner, CB, Cincinnati: Has the length we like, can completely take receivers out of a game. Ability to press and has recovery speed to boot. Not a big secret here, but would definitely not hate if he was our first pick.

Those are just a few for now, I'll update more throughout the year.

For Running Backs Tyler Allegeier (BYU) he is a one of my three top backs right now along with Breece Hall (Iowa St) and Isaiah Spiller (Texas A&M).  All three continued to dominate their foes this weekend.

Last year year I was high on Charlie Kolar (Iowa State) and think he should have entered the NFL.  Not sure if returning to college this season has helped increase his draft stock much.  Going to hard for Kolar to compete against Isaiah Likley (Coastal Carolina) and Derrick Deese Jr. (San Jose State).  Deese was quietly used the prior two weeks but broke out and helped his team win vs NMSU catching 7 passes for 130 yards and had one touchdown.  Greg Dulcich (UCLA) also had a big game in a tough loss to ASU.

Linebackers Avery Roberts (Oregon State) continues to have a solid year going and was name Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week.  SLB Adam Anderson (Georgia) picked up another sack this weekend keeping his streak alive after 4 Weeks.  LB JoJo Domann (Nebraska) is a player I have been watching now who earned Big Ten co-defensive player of the week continues to have a nose for the football.  Against Northwestern he had 9 total tackles with 2 sacks and 2 forced fumbles.  Unlike a lot of Husker Blackshirts JoJo isn't afraid to tackle and can hit you with force and wrap up.

As for Wide Receivers Dontay Demus Jr. (Maryland) also been on my watch list along with  Khalil Shakir (Boise State) and Jahan Dotson (PSU) who continue to impress.  Other receivers also having respectful seasons are Jaquarii Roberson (Wake Forest), Tre Turner (Virginia Tech), Jalen Tolbert (South Alabama).  One wide receiver newcomer is a Junior from USC Drake London.  London is on pace to earn award as the nation's top pass-catcher.  After 5 Weeks he now has 48 receptions for 670 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Edge player Sam Williams (Ole Miss) played against a stout Alabama team and he still managed to keep his string of sacks alive this week with another sack and 6 total tackles.

DT Dante Stills (West Virginia) is another player I hope the Colts can target in the draft.  Stills continues to find ways to get to the QB after getting two more sacks this weekend as he now has 11 total tackles with 4 sacks after 5 weeks.  Devonte Wyatt (Georgia) had a big day helping Georgia beat top ranked Arkansas recording 6 total tackles plus 1.5 sacks and a forced fumbled earning SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week.

I haven't spent much of this season researching QBs or OL but one OT is Max Mitchell (Louisiana Lafayette) that they need to be watching.  Mitchell is turning heads as one of the best at his position in the country.  At this point in time I have Mitchell as our Round 5 compensation target along with RG/C Ben Brown (Ole Miss).

Cincinnati has both Bryant and Gardner at creating one of the best tandems in the country and agree wouldn't hurt to have one or both on our team next year.

Archived