Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 3 Position of need for 2022

CR91

Keep in mind, I am projecting here how I see our needs will be broken down after the season.

3. LBer

This will depend on Okereke proving me wrong, but I just don't see a talented group outside of Leonard and I expect it to be an issue going into the season. You pull the sheet after Leonard and Okereke and you have a lot of inexperience. Sure Franklin, Adam, and Speed are great on STs, however when it comes to playing defense it's a lot of unknown.

2. WR

Keep in mind, we are asking a second year WR to basically take the reins this year as Hilton while I believe still has gas in the tank, we are slowly moving away from T.Y and that was evident towards the end of the season when Pascal and Pitt were out-snapping him. Campbell is the biggest question mark, but unless we see tremendous growth in Pittman, Campbell, and Pascal as the go-to WR corp of the future, we could be looking for our WR1 once again next season.

1. CB

This is the biggest weakness imo going into the season. Granted, we were able to bring back Rhodes and Carrie, but they are in their thirties so their not the future. Rock, Tell, and Rodgers are gonna be the biggest tell, but as it stands for me I can see us looking to make a major upgrade in the position next season.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

2. WR

Keep in mind, we are asking a second year WR to basically take the reins this year as Hilton while I believe still has gas in the tank, we are slowly moving away from T.Y and that was evident towards the end of the season when Pascal and Pitt were out-snapping him. Campbell is the biggest question mark, but unless we see tremendous growth in Pittman, Campbell, and Pascal as the go-to WR corp of the future, we could be looking for our WR1 once again next season.

I would say with the regards to the out snapping had more to do with game plan as late in season we rode the Running game. While TY can block some, Pitt and Pascal are the better stronger blockers. While it still probably is true we are moving away some, the snaps I think we be based on game plan for running game 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Too early to know.  Say Wentz doesn’t bounce back all of the sudden QB skyrockets to the top of the list.  Say Campbell stays healthy and breaks out and Pittman takes the next step in his development then WR falls down the list.  

The investment to that position is there though so we atleast understand what we're getting this year. Not so much at the other positions.

Way too early to start this chatter. We don't even know how this year's draft class or new FAs will play. Fisher is on a one year deal and recovering from a major injury. If he doesn't work out, LT could easily be the #1 need. Resigning him could also be a huge expense. Glow is a FA. Hines and Wilkins will be FAs. Hilton and Pascal will be FAs. Lewis and Turay are FAs, and Dayo is a rook coming in off of a major injury, so DE isn't "solved" for yet IMO.

If we're just talking singular positions, I have the least confidence in MIKE.

32 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The investment to that position is there though so we atleast understand what we're getting this year. Not so much at the other positions.

You could say the samething about the investment in the WR position which is on your list as well with four draft picks in the past three years including two second rounders.  

The truth is we don’t know what the Colts are getting WR, QB, DE, or LT.  We have reason to be hopefully for all of those positions but we don’t know.  So we have to let things play out this year before iding needs for next year.  

31 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You could say the samething about the investment in the WR position which is on your list as well with four draft picks in the past three years including two second rounders.  

The truth is we don’t know what the Colts are getting WR, QB, DE, or LT.  We have reason to be hopefully for all of those positions but we don’t know.  So we have to let things play out this year before iding needs for next year.  

Yea, but we can atleast project what Wentz will do. Our WR corp is more of a toss up because of their youth and inexperience. Not saying it's a bad thing just harder to predict.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Way too early to start this chatter. We don't even know how this year's draft class or new FAs will play. Fisher is on a one year deal and recovering from a major injury. If he doesn't work out, LT could easily be the #1 need. Resigning him could also be a huge expense. Glow is a FA. Hines and Wilkins will be FAs. Hilton and Pascal will be FAs. Lewis and Turay are FAs, and Dayo is a rook coming in off of a major injury, so DE isn't "solved" for yet IMO.

If we're just talking singular positions, I have the least confidence in MIKE.

This is more looking at what we did and didn't know. Bringing back the same players at two positions and no additions to one is more of my focal point. Are there questions at QB and LT? Sure, but we atleast addressed it to the point where it's not as detriment as the positions I mentioned could be as the season goes on.

21 minutes ago, CR91 said:

This is more looking at what we did and didn't know. Bringing back the same players at two positions and no additions to one is more of my focal point. Are there questions at QB and LT? Sure, but we atleast addressed it to the point where it's not as detriment as the positions I mentioned could be as the season goes on.

Not sure I agree. If you're looking at 2022 like the title says, we don't have a starting LT under contract next season. And the one we have now is a huge question. And if he does really well, there's no guarantee we will be the high bidder. We are basically in the same boat as we are with Rhodes, it's just Fisher is a year younger. I agree QB is addressed because Wentz is under contract (and I'm confident in him) at this point for 2022.

30 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Yea, but we can atleast project what Wentz will do. Our WR corp is more of a toss up because of their youth and inexperience. Not saying it's a bad thing just harder to predict.

Depends who you talk to.  Some think Wentz will bounce back under Reich others think he had one good year who will never be like that again.  Like i said it’s way too early to know what the Colts needs will be.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure I agree. If you're looking at 2022 like the title says, we don't have a starting LT under contract next season. And the one we have now is a huge question. And if he does really well, there's no guarantee we will be the high bidder. We are basically in the same boat as we are with Rhodes, it's just Fisher is a year younger. I agree QB is addressed because Wentz is under contract (and I'm confident in him) at this point for 2022.

But no one is really looking at LT like we're in panic mode ever since we signed Fisher. I really don't think the colts are going into the season thinking Fisher won't work out. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they extend him during the season especially if he's playing well.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Depends who you talk to.  Some think Wentz will bounce back under Reich others think he one good year who will never be like that again.  Like i said it’s way too early to know what the Colts needs will be.

Let me ask you a question then. Are you more worried at this point about QB or CB? I'm not saying hallujah Wentz is the answer to our prays, but I can sleep at night to the point I feel confident going past this season. What he becomes in Indy is the question we all wanna know.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

But no one is really looking at LT like we're in panic mode ever since we signed Fisher. I really don't think the colts are going into the season thinking Fisher won't work out. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they extend him during the season especially if he's playing well.

But again you are predicting it will work out.  We don’t know if it will.  If it doesn’t and one of the other guys don’t step up LT is going to be a monster need.  That’s why it’s too soon to know.  We don’t know how these questions are going to be answered and history tends to say not all of them are going to have positive answers.  

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

But again you are predicting it will work out.  We don’t know if it will.  If it doesn’t and one of the other guys don’t step up LT is going to be a monster need.  That’s why it’s too soon to know.  We don’t know how these questions are going to be answered and history tends to say not all of them are going to have positive answers.  

The way the colts addressed it, that's how you have to project it. They obviously feel confident going into the season with what they have at both QB and LT, however CB and WR were just re-signs of prior players from last season with no real upgrades. That makes me question the value of those positions.

Just now, CR91 said:

Let me ask you a question then. Are you more worried at this point about QB or CB? I'm not saying hallujah Wentz is the answer to our prays, but I can sleep at night to the point I feel confident going past this season. What he becomes in Indy is the question we all wanna know.

Going into this season?  QB.  I think Rhodes is coming off a great year.  Moore is maybe the best nickel corner in the NFL.  I like Carrie as a stop gap guy and that’s without Tell who the Colts felt made great progress his rookie year before sitting out last year.  I think combined with a hopefully better pass rush and a more experienced safety unit they should improve.

Wentz has to prove he can be the QB he was.  That’s not a given and that’s before you get into his injury history.  Given the fact that neither of the Colts backup QBs have ever seen a snap in a pre-season game let alone a regular season game I am not over confident in them should Wentz get hurt again.  

Also Rivers set the bar fairly high with his play last year so replacing him isn’t going to be easy.  Add in the fact that the position of QB is more important than CB in general and I am more concerned about QB.  

However, like I said before it’s an open question that does have reasons for Colts fans to be excited.  I laid a lot what COULD go wrong with Wentz.  It doesn’t mean it will and I hope it doesn’t.  He could be an upgrade over Rivers and clearly the Colts think he will be and if he is the Colts are going to be very very good.  So back to my original point it is way TOO soon to see what is going to be a need next year because we don’t have the answers yet to if they have addressed the areas of need from last year.

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The way the colts addressed it, that's how you have to project it. They obviously feel confident going into the season with what they have at both QB and LT, however CB and WR were just re-signs of prior players from last season with no real upgrades. That makes me question the value of those positions.

Projecting is one thing.  Results are another.  Every team in the NFL feels like they have addressed their major needs from last year right now.  However, GMs are not infallible and history shows that everyone is going to be wrong about something they thought was an answer.

Also using your logic the Colts feel they have upgraded their WR core with youth and are just waiting for them to progress.  The difference is you don’t like that answer at WR where as you are comfortable with their answer to QB and LT.  Reality says we don’t know if any of those answers will work.  So again it’s way too soon to project next years needs.  Anyone of those positions could be a need or strength of this team this year.  We just don’t know.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Going into this season?  QB.  I think Rhodes is coming off a great year.  Moore is maybe the best nickel corner in the NFL.  I like Carrie as a stop gap guy and that’s without Tell who the Colts felt made great progress his rookie year before sitting out last year.  I think combined with a hopefully better pass rush and a more experienced safety unit they should improve.

Wentz has to prove he can be the QB he was.  That’s not a given and that’s before you get into his injury history.  Given the fact that neither of the Colts backup QBs have ever seen a snap in a pre-season game let alone a regular season game I am not over confident in them should Wentz get hurt again.  

Also Rivers set the bar fairly high with his play last year so replacing him isn’t going to be easy.  Add in the fact that the position of QB is more important than CB in general and I am more concerned about QB.  

However, like I said before it’s an open question that does have reasons for Colts fans to be excited.  I laid a lot what COULD go wrong with Wentz.  It doesn’t mean it will and I hope it doesn’t.  He could be an upgrade over Rivers and clearly the Colts think he will be and if he is the Colts are going to be very very good.  So back to my original point it is way TOO soon to see what is going to be a need next year because we don’t have the answers yet to if they have addressed the areas of need from last year.

Rivers was reliable, but I wouldn't exact say he set the bar high. Imo, if we can't get better production from Wentz then we're in trouble.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Projecting is one thing.  Results are another.  Every team in the NFL feels like they have addressed their major needs from last year right now.  However, GMs are not infallible and history shows that everyone is going to be wrong about something they thought was an answer.

Very true, however as the state of the positions go and my confidence level I feel better knowing what we currently have at QB and LT compared to the other positions. Hey I could be wrong and Pittman puts up 1000 yards and 10 tds. 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Rivers was reliable, but I wouldn't exact say he set the bar high. Imo, if we can't get better production from Wentz then we're in trouble.

We disagree Rivers was more than reliable.  I think people aren’t going to realize what the Colts had in Rivers until maybe this year and that’s not a shot at Wentz.  Wentz could be very good in his own right.  While Rivers wasn’t Luck in his prime level last year he was pretty darn good last year and his accuracy, experience, and leadership are going to be very hard to replace for anyone.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Very true, however as the state of the positions go and my confidence level I feel better knowing what we currently have at QB and LT compared to the other positions. Hey I could be wrong and Pittman puts up 1000 yards and 10 tds. 

Your last line is my point we just don’t know.  They could be great answers or any of them could be positions they are looking for next year.  

Looking at who has contracts expiring in 2022 as of right now: 

Running back. Mack, Hines, and Wilkins are all ufa in 2022. Right now the Colts have Taylor and Deon Jackson under contract beyond this year. 

Wide Receiver. Hilton and Pascal are ufa after this season. That's the top 2 receivers in yards from 2020(and 4 of the top 5 with Hines and MAC) possibly gone. 

Offensive tackle. As noted above, both Smith and Fisher both have contracts expiring. If both are re-signed, then its Guard with Glowinski's contract expiring. 

32 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Your title is about 22. We don't have a LT under contract in 22. People are not in panic mode for 21. 

Confidence is relative, but that's a specific narrative. Am I more confident in Fisher for 22 than Rhodes in 22. Not really. Both are aged, neither under contract, but only one is coming back from a major injury that has a not so great RTS (return to sport) history.

Your title is about 22. We don't have a LT under contract in 22. People are not in panic mode for 21. 

Confidence is relative, but that's a specific narrative. Am I more confident in Fisher for 22 than Rhodes in 22. Not really. Both are aged, neither under contract, but only one is coming back from a major injury that has a not so great RTS (return to sport) history.

But you're speculating the colts won't re-sign him. You honestly think this is gonna end up being a one year rental?

I wouldn’t call it panic but I would say I am nervous about the LT position for 2021 because of the reasons you said and I am not overly confident in Fisher’s backups.

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

But you're speculating the colts won't re-sign him. You honestly think this is gonna end up being a one year rental?

If he doesn’t comeback from his injury or doesn’t play well after he comes back from that injury yes I do.  Like Eaststreet said this is a hard injury for anyone to comeback from and it only gets harder the older you get.  

Hopefully those concerns prove to be unfounded but you are lying to yourself if you don’t think they are very real concerns and very real questions.  

Also if the Colts didn’t have the same questions it wouldn’t have been a one year deal.  It would have been a three to four year contract.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If he doesn’t comeback from his injury or doesn’t play well after he comes back from that injury yes I do.  Like Eaststreet said this is a hard injury for anyone to comeback from and it only gets harder the older you get.  

Hopefully those concerns prove to be unfounded but you are lying to yourself if you don’t think they are very real concerns and very real questions.  

Also if the Colts didn’t have the same questions it wouldn’t have been a one year deal.  It would have been a three to four year contract.

Obviously the colts are fine with where Fisher is with his rehab to even sign him in the first place. 

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You're speculating Fisher recovers well, plays well, and we resign him, plus you're speculating Rhodes drops off or we won't resign him. 

I honestly think you're speculating as much as anyone lol.

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I wouldn’t call it panic but I would say I am nervous about the LT position for 2021 because of the reasons you said and I am not overly confident in Fisher’s backups.

The only reason I'm not that worried at LT, is simply because we'll have an elite LG, which will make a lot of LTs look better than they really are. AC looked a lot better than he really was IMO. 

Personally I think Fisher recovers, looks pretty good, and is resigned. That said, I think he's a lot better in pass pro than run blocking. 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Obviously the colts are fine with where Fisher is with his rehab to even sign him in the first place. 

And obviously they have concerns or they would have signed him to a longer term deal. Both things can be true which is why it’s a question and not something we are going to have answer to in June.  The Colts are taking a bit of a risk because they didn’t have a starting LT without him so they were backed into a little bit of a corner because of how the draft fell. If the Colts were fully confident he would have signed a long term deal and long before the draft.  The very real injury questions are why he wasn’t and was available to be signed after the draft.  Again, you are lying to yourself if you don’t acknowledge there is a chance it might not work out.  

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The only reason I'm not that worried at LT, is simply because we'll have an elite LG, which will make a lot of LTs look better than they really are. AC looked a lot better than he really was IMO. 

Personally I think Fisher recovers, looks pretty good, and is resigned. That said, I think he's a lot better in pass pro than run blocking. 

That’s what I am betting on too but I would be lying if I said I won’t feel 100% better until Fisher plays and plays well.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s what I am betting on too but I would be lying if I said I won’t feel 100% better until Fisher plays and plays well.

Crap shoot, but I think Fisher returns around game 4 or 5, struggles maybe for a game or two, then does pretty well. I think we'll resign him for a 3 year-ish deal that is top 10ish, not top 5. And that's fine with me. I could see a situation though were he plays well, ask for too much, and we go another direction. IMO, LT is one of the positions where it's best to draft. Not having a 1st round next year will hurt in that aspect. Regardless, I just want it to work out health wise and contract wise. And of course long term financially. Our OL spend is going to be ugly for the foreseeable future.

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And obviously they have concerns or they would have signed him to a longer term deal. Both things can be true which is why it’s a question and not something we are going to have answer to in June.  The Colts are taking a bit of a risk because they didn’t have a starting LT without him so they were backed into a little bit of a corner because of how the draft fell. If the Colts were fully confident he would have signed a long term deal and long before the draft.  The very real injury questions are why he wasn’t and was available to be signed after the draft.  Again, you are lying to yourself if you don’t acknowledge there is a chance it might not work out.  

Yup, there's a very clear reason it's a one year deal.

29 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Of course the draft dictated the signing, but what I also noticed in the draft was Ballard not panicking to get a LT. You're telling me having Fisher in their back pocket basically didn't ease Ballard's mind before and after the draft?

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Of course the draft dictated the signing, but what I also noticed in the draft was Ballard not panicking to get a LT. You're telling me having Fisher in their back pocket basically didn't ease Ballard's mind before and after the draft?

Not what I am saying.  What I am saying is there is a reason a player the level of Fisher was available after the draft and that reason is why it’s only a one year deal and why Ballard gave himself an out incase it doesn’t work.  You don’t seem to want to acknowledge that and are coming across as saying there is no way this can’t work out.  I think it will work out and he will get an extension but there is a very real chance it couldn’t.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not what I am saying.  What I am saying is there is a reason a player the level of Fisher was available after the draft and that reason is why it’s only a one year deal and why Ballard gave himself an out incase it doesn’t work.  You don’t seem to want to acknowledge that and are coming across as saying there is no way this can’t work out.  I think it will work out and he will get an extension but there is a very real chance it couldn’t.  

I'm not saying it won't work out. I'm just saying it's not something I'm worried about compared to the other positions I listed. Obviously the hope is Fisher recovers and is our LT for the next 5 years.

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm not saying it won't work out. I'm just saying it's not something I'm worried about compared to the other positions I listed. Obviously the hope is Fisher recovers and is our LT for the next 5 years.

and they also hope their young WRs the answer there so using your logic that the Colts hope those guys are the answer for the next five years why are WRs your list?  Because you don’t trust the Colts answer on that front where as you do trust their answer at LT and QB.  The reality is that they ALL have real questions about each of those positions and any of them could turn out to be a strength and all of them could become a major need going into next season.  We just don’t know right now because we don’t have enough information which is why is premature to predict what next year’s needs will be.

28 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

and they also hope their young WRs the answer there so using your logic that the Colts hope those guys are the answer for the next five years why are WRs your list?  Because you don’t trust the Colts answer on that front where as you do trust their answer at LT and QB.  The reality is that they ALL have real questions about each of those positions and any of them could turn out to be a strength and all of them could become a major need going into next season.  We just don’t know right now because we don’t have enough information which is why is premature to predict what next year’s needs will be.

That is the whole point of this thread. I am predicting what will be the positions of need based on how the colts attacked this off-season. What is the point of creating this thread when we have all the answers. You have your opinion and I have mine. You wanna worry more about QB and LT, you are more then welcome to.

21 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That is the whole point of this thread. I am predicting what will be the positions of need based on how the colts attacked this off-season. What is the point of creating this thread when we have all the answers. You have your opinion and I have mine. You wanna worry more about QB and LT, you are more then welcome to.

And it’s way too soon to do that as several people have told you and why it’s way too soon to do that.  You don’t even know if they answered this years questions so how can you or anyone realistically predict what next years areas of needs will be?

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And it’s way too soon to do that as several people have told you and why it’s way too soon to do that.  You don’t even know if they answered this years questions so how can you or anyone realistically predict what next years areas of needs will be?

And that's fine. We can revisit this at the end of the year. All I'm doing is giving my thoughts on the matter before it becomes evident.

15 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And that's fine. We can revisit this at the end of the year. All I'm doing is giving my thoughts on the matter before it becomes evident.

The question might be better framed around "confidence".

If I had to rank my 2022 confidence from lowest to....

1. MIKE - performed mediocre in 2020, will be taking a bigger role in 2021

2. LT - nobody under contract in 22, coming back from injury, 30 years old

3. CB1 - nobody under contract in 22, 31 years old, CB2 struggled in 2020 so him taking over CB1 is questionable. 

4. WR1 - aged and has history of health issues. Heir apparent candidates are rook X (Xs are not frequently WR1s), and the primary candidate for replacement has been injured every year.

5. FS - rook that struggled mightily in coverage after teams got film

6. DE - Turay is an injury vs flash guy at this point, Dayo is a injured rook projection, and Lewis is stepping into a starting role as a tweener.

7. QB - we're pretty much committed for 2 years, so probably doesn't matter for 22

This all assumes we re-sign WILL, RT, and LG to extensions. LG already has 5th year exercised.   

Archived