Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Montana finally conceded: Brady is the GOAT

NFLUp

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing about rating the QB position is taking into account the teams they played on. 

No matter how good a QB is he has to have good teams around him to be successful. 

Brady has the hardware but he has been on teams that were loaded with talent. 

Does Brady have more talent than lets say Marino or Montana? IMO, no. Take a guy like Dan Fouts. That dude could sling the football with the best of them. 

Bart Starr has 5 championships but no one even mentioned him. 

I agree but the QB is not purely physical. It is the most cerebral position as well and also a leadership position. Brady is head and shoulders above everyone when it comes to those things which are the main reasons why he has been so successful.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FortheWin said:

I agree but the QB is not purely physical. It is the most cerebral position as well and also a leadership position. Brady is head and shoulders above everyone when it comes to those things which are the main reasons why he has been so successful.

IMO he was not head and shoulders ahead of Manning. He was on better teams. 

Manning set the table for Brady and offensive coordinators in todays NFL. He changed the game. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO he was not head and shoulders ahead of Manning. He was on better teams. 

Manning set the table for Brady and offensive coordinators in todays NFL. He changed the game. 

Sure but the point you were making was in relation to Brady's physical abilities and its his cerebral, leadership and intangibles that have made him the GOAT. If you want to say that Manning set the table so to speak that is true as Brady has said he has copied a lot from Manning's game but Brady took it all to the next level in terms of his performance in big games/clutch situations. 

Again, he can be the GOAT all he wants.. but come September if I had ANY QB of my team I'm not picking Brady.. wth cares about GOAT if he ain't the best TODAY?! Lol Peyton is gone. And I'll always argue when they were both playing (except for his last year and a half) Peyton Manning was better. 

It is March madness folks but here is my January football madness lmao . I would love to see an all-time Final 4 consist of this = teams since the 1990 season so we can somewhat keep it in recent era's:

#1 1995 Dallas Cowboys - They would be my 1st seed and really tough to argue against being so. They had arguably the greatest RB ever in Emmitt Smith, a top 10 WR of all-time in Michael Irvin, and a top 10-15 QB of all-time in Troy Aikman. They had an O.Line that consisted of 2 guys that weighed more than 330 pounds in Larry Allen (335), Nate Newton (335), and Ray Donaldson their Center was 315 pounds. Also their LT Erik Williams was 290 pounds and manhandled Reggie White during the 1995 NFC Title Game. Best O.Line I have ever seen IMO. That Cowboys defense ranked 3rd in points allowed as well and featured guys like Deion Sanders and Charles Haley. They were way ahead of their time and I can even argue this team had better athlete's on it than most teams even do today as a whole. This team won 3 SB's in 4 years.

#2 2014 New England Patriots - To me this was the best version of Tom Brady (who is probably the GOAT) and Bill Belichick's teams. They captured their 4th SB Title together and Tom had a prime Gronk and Edelman to throw too. Their O.Line was great and they had a top 8 defense in points allowed that season. They curbed stomp us in the AFC Title Game and beat a stacked Seattle team in the SB. It was a team that could deflate most teams in the history of the game lol.

#3 1994 SF 49ers - Steve Young is the greatest left handed QB of all-time and arguably a top 10 QB of all-time. They had the #1 offense in the league. They were the only team that beat the Cowboys in the playoffs during the Cowboys run from 1992-1995. Jerry Rice is the GOAT as far as WR's go and their defense featured Deion Sanders and was ranked 6th in points allowed. 

#4 2006 Indianapolis Colts - Peyton Manning is a top 3 QB of all-time so that alone, the Colts deserve this spot. That team offensively featured Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and a very good O.line as well. We had the #2 offense in the league. The Defense featured Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, and Bob Sanders. People will point too our Run defense being ranked last that season but it was due to Bob Sanders missing 12 games. During the playoffs it was ranked 2nd out of 12 teams in points allowed with a healthy Bob. By the way we also had the greatest FG of all-time in Adam Vinatieri. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is March madness folks but here is my January football madness lmao . I would love to see an all-time Final 4 consist of this = teams since the 1990 season so we can somewhat keep it in recent era's:

#1 1995 Dallas Cowboys - They would be my 1st seed and really tough to argue against being so. They had arguably the greatest RB ever in Emmitt Smith, a top 10 WR of all-time in Michael Irvin, and a top 10-15 QB of all-time in Troy Aikman. They had an O.Line that consisted of 2 guys that weighed more than 330 pounds in Larry Allen (335), Nate Newton (335), and Ray Donaldson their Center was 315 pounds. Also their LT Erik Williams was 290 pounds and manhandled Reggie White during the 1995 NFC Title Game. Best O.Line I have ever seen IMO. That Cowboys defense ranked 3rd in points allowed as well and featured guys like Deion Sanders and Charles Haley. They were way ahead of their time and I can even argue this team had better athlete's on it than most teams even do today as a whole. This team won 3 SB's in 4 years.

#2 2014 New England Patriots - To me this was the best version of Tom Brady (who is probably the GOAT) and Bill Belichick's teams. They captured their 4th SB Title together and Tom had a prime Gronk and Edelman to throw too. Their O.Line was great and they had a top 8 defense in points allowed that season. They curbed stomp us in the AFC Title Game and beat a stacked Seattle team in the SB. It was a team that could deflate most teams in the history of the game lol.

#3 1994 SF 49ers - Steve Young is the greatest left handed QB of all-time and arguably a top 10 QB of all-time. They had the #1 offense in the league. They were the only team that beat the Cowboys in the playoffs during the Cowboys run from 1992-1995. Jerry Rice is the GOAT as far as WR's go and their defense featured Deion Sanders and was ranked 6th in points allowed. 

#4 2006 Indianapolis Colts - Peyton Manning is a top 3 QB of all-time so that alone, the Colts deserve this spot. That team offensively featured Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and a very good O.line as well. We had the #2 offense in the league. The Defense featured Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, and Bob Sanders. People will point too our Run defense being ranked last that season but it was due to Bob Sanders missing 12 games. During the playoffs it was ranked 2nd out of 12 teams in points allowed with a healthy Bob. By the way we also had the greatest FG of all-time in Adam Vinatieri. 

To make this even more interesting, I would give the 49ers and Colts HFA in round 1.

#1 Cowboys vs #4 Colts but at Indy in the noisy RCA dome where the Colts were 10-0!

#2 Pats vs #3 49ers on the muddy/rainy field in SF! 

Now we have pick'em games :thmup:

On 3/7/2021 at 7:23 AM, Lancer1 said:

Montana is the GOAT to me, he played in a time in which you could rough up the wideouts, you could annihilate quarterbacks and he still went 4-0 in Superbowls, his team never having to cheat ala "Spygate" which accounted for Brady's first 3 rings, and "Joe Cool" never threw an interception in any one of those 4 games.

LOL.

SpyGate had nothing to do with Brady’s first three rings, and we all know it.

to think otherwise is just wishful dreams from bitter Patriot haters.

45 minutes ago, NFLUp said:

LOL.

You have come to the wrong place to defend Brady and the Patriots for bending and breaking the rules. 

There are fans from every team in the NFL that dislike the Patriots not because they won a lot of games. It's how they won a lot of games and the disregard for sportsmanship. 

Spygate is not the only issue some have with the Patriots.

1-It started the year Belichick become the head coach with what he did to the Jets.

2-Spygate

3-The infamous "tuck rule" where the refs handed the Patriots a win over the Raiders.

4-The deception of a substitution trick play against the Ravens

5-Deflategate and the dishonesty of Brady and his cell phone.

6- Robert Kraft being busted in a house of prostitution.

There is a clear reason Kraft and Belichick have been a couple of the most fined two in league history. 

You call it bitter Patriot haters?  Not hardly. 

25 minutes ago, NFLUp said:

LOL.

I am a Colts fan that is ok saying Brady is the GOAT. I am very secure in the career Peyton had and proud of Peyton being a huge part in bringing a SB Championship to Indianapolis. Peyton didn't win 7 like Brady has but his resume is still solid as in:

2 SB Championships with 2 different teams.

4 SB appearances in total with 4 different coaches.

Tied for 3rd all-time with playoff wins with 14, only behind Brady and Montana/tied with Bradshaw and Elway. He is 14-13 in the playoffs = above .500 so despite haters calling him a choker in the playoffs, he really isn't if you look at the whole picture. Yeah he had several one and done's but most of them were in the Divisional Round against very good if not great competition.

5 League MVP's = most by any player in NFL history.

1 SB MVP

Holds record for most TD's in 1 season = 55 (16 game season/2013)

Hold the record for most Yards in 1 season = 5477 yards (16 game season/2013)

Is 3-1 vs Tom Brady/Bill Belichick in AFC Title Games.

He led the Colts to the biggest turn around in NFL history in 1999. In 1998 the Colts were 3-13, they went 13-3 with Peyton at QB! 10 game turn around!

-I am not really sure why some Patriots are so insecure in acknowledging that Peyton is the 1 QB on Brady's level. This resume proves he is. Had Peyton had better defenses on more of his teams, he would've won 3 or 4 SB's at least and everyone knows it.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am a Colts fan that is ok saying Brady is the GOAT. I am very secure in the career Peyton had and proud of Peyton being a huge part in bringing a SB Championship to Indianapolis. Peyton didn't win 7 like Brady has but his resume is still solid as in:

2 SB Championships with 2 different teams.

4 SB appearances in total with 4 different coaches.

Tied for 3rd all-time with playoff wins with 14, only behind Brady and Montana/tied with Bradshaw and Elway. He is 14-13 in the playoffs = above .500 so despite haters calling him a choker in the playoffs, he really isn't if you look at the whole picture. Yeah he had several one and done's but most of them were in the Divisional Round against very good if not great competition.

5 League MVP's = most by any player in NFL history.

1 SB MVP

Holds record for most TD's in 1 season = 55 (16 game season/2013)

Hold the record for most Yards in 1 season = 5477 yards (16 game season/2013)

Is 3-1 vs Tom Brady/Bill Belichick in AFC Title Games.

He led the Colts to the biggest turn around in NFL history in 1999. In 1998 the Colts were 3-13, they went 13-3 with Peyton at QB! 10 game turn around!

-I am not really sure why some Patriots are so insecure in acknowledging that Peyton is the 1 QB on Brady's level. This resume proves he is. Had Peyton had better defenses on more of his teams, he would've won 3 or 4 SB's at least and everyone knows it.

Super bowls are a team orientated reward. No QB in league history has won a super bowl without having the most talented team around them in the playoffs.

Yes Brady has the hardware and I have no problem with those who want to judge the GOAT by rings.

For me personally, I don't use rings as a judge as to who is the GOAT. 

There is no clear cut GOAT when there are so many different categories and eras that can be pointed to.

Everyone has different views and opinions on who the GOAT is to them. There is no right or wrong because of that. 

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Super bowls are a team orientated reward. No QB in league history has won a super bowl without having the most talented team around them in the playoffs.

Yes Brady has the hardware and I have no problem with those who want to judge the GOAT by rings.

There is no clear cut GOAT when there are so many different categories and eras that can be pointed to.

Everyone has different views and opinions on who the GOAT is to them. There is no right or wrong because of that. 

I agree to an extent. Rings are a part of it but is there anyone that really thinks Terry Bradshaw is better than Aaron Rodgers? Maybe there is but not many. Bradshaw was great don't get me wrong but I would take Rodgers over him. That Ring count is 4-1 Bradshaw.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree to an extent. Rings are a part of it but is there anyone that really thinks Terry Bradshaw is better than Aaron Rodgers? Maybe there is but not many. Bradshaw was great don't get me wrong but I would take Rodgers over him. That Ring count is 4-1 Bradshaw.

I would take Bradshaw in a heartbeat over Rodgers. Bradshaw had grit and the IT factor leading his team. Rodgers does not and he plays in a much more friendly stat era than Bradshaw.

Just now, FortheWin said:

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Like I said. It's all personal opinions. 

If you were a Steeler fan you would more than likely disagree. 

8 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

I would take Bradshaw in a heartbeat over Rodgers. Bradshaw had grit and the IT factor leading his team. Rodgers does not and he plays in a much more friendly stat era than Bradshaw.

That is what I was referring to. Everyone has a different legit point of view for their own reasons. 

9 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

That is the thing, what if Rodgers played with a defense like Bradshaw had. Bradshaw also played with 2 hall of fame WR's during his run. Rodgers is better but that is my opinion.  

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is what I was referring to. Everyone has a different legit point of view for their own reasons. 

If I were a Cowboys fan I could say Troy Aikman is a top 5 QB of all-time if we go by SB rings. That is all some people look at lol. Did Troy have more of an 'IT' factor than Dan Marino? I don't think so, he just had a loaded team around him and didn't screw it up.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I were a Cowboys fan I could say Troy Aikman is a top 5 QB of all-time if we go by SB rings. That is all some people look at lol.

Exactly. 

My point of view is that no QB in league history has had any success without those team players around him that helped him win games? 

Marino was as talented as any QB I ever seen play but has zero rings. 

Big Ben got his first ring when he played as bad as any QB could play in a super bowl. Go figure? lol

The old saying that QBs get too much credit and too much blame has always been true, and it's never going to change. 

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do want to add Williams was actually the Cowboys RT but I just had remembered him manhandling Reggie White in that 1995 NFC Title Game. I was just looking at some of the older games on Youtube of the teams I mentioned above. Mark Tuinei was the Cowboys LT and he was a beast as well at 305 pounds.

I also watched Chiefs at Colts, Wildcard Round from 2006. The RCA Dome was so freakin loud back then! Our Run D stuffed Larry Johnson.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is the thing, what if Rodgers played with a defense like Bradshaw had. Bradshaw also played with 2 hall of fame WR's during his run. Rodgers is better but that is my opinion.  

Tough to compare eras but Bradshaw had so much guts and grit. I just don't see that at all from Rodgers. He is a very weak QB mentally IMO,

Just now, FortheWin said:

Tough to compare eras but Bradshaw had so much guts and grit. I just don't see that at all from Rodgers. He is a very weak QB mentally IMO,

I don't see how anyone can call a QB that has won 3 League MVP's (as many as Brady has won) and has won a SB being weak mentally but that is your opinion. If GB would draft a WR that has talent instead of drafting backup QB's that can't play then that would help. I did say I think Bradshaw is great but I personally don't know anyone that thinks he is better than Aaron Rodgers, I haven't seen anyone in the media say that either. Like I posted earlier, if it is about SB Championships than Troy Aikman belongs on Mt Rushmore lol.

In the SB era (1966-2020), if a person just went by a QB winning big, then the top 6/7 technically would be:

1. Tom Brady = 7 SB Championships, 10 SB appearances

2. Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana (tied) = 4 SB Championships, 4 SB appearances. That is 3 QB's so far.

4. Troy Aikman = 3 SB Championships, 3 SB appearances. He won 3 so gets the 4th spot.

5. John Elway = 2 SB Championships, the 5 SB appearances gives him the tie breaker over the other 2 time winners.

6. Peyton Manning and Roger Staubach (tied) = both have 2 SB Championships and 4 SB appearances.

5 hours ago, NFLUp said:

LOL.

If Spygate didn't contribute to any of those Championships, perhaps you can explain a few rather simple queries that could provide clarity to the situation and it's aftermath:

#1 - Why was the team fined a quarter of a million dollars and docked a 1st round draft pick?

#2 - Why was the GM/HC personally fined a half million dollars?

#3 - Why did Commissioner Goodell feel the need to have the evidence destroyed after having viewed it?

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Peyton Manning and Roger Staubach (tied) = both have 2 SB Championships and 4 SB appearances.

If I were "judging", I  would have Manning at #6 and "Captain America" just below him at #7 because although they have similar results in this category, Peyton's is a little more impressive by the factor of having done it with 2 different teams, and 4 different Head Coaches - Staubach only had 1 of those apiece.

5 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

If Spygate didn't contribute to any of those Championships, perhaps you can explain a few rather simple queries that could provide clarity to the situation and it's aftermath:

#1 - Why was the team fined a quarter of a million dollars and docked a 1st round draft pick?

#2 - Why was the GM/HC personally fined a half million dollars?

#3 - Why did Commissioner Goodell feel the need to have the evidence destroyed after having viewed it?

Some in the media and some people even joke about Deflatgate as well. I believe the Pats footballs were deflated per Brady to make it easier for his WR's to catch. I can't prove it and nobody can but when Tom destroyed his cell phone that was telling. His body language wasn't right either through that whole deal. Pats still would've beat us but that isn't the point, if you cheat then you are a cheater regardless. I love it when Pats fans say, they did better in the 2nd half when the balls weren't deflated. Of course they did because playing ahead with a 10 point lead at that point is easy regardless, once they went up 24-7 it was a loss cause.

2 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

If I were "judging", I  would have Manning at #6 and "Captain America" just below him at #7 because although they have similar results in this category, Peyton's is a little more impressive by the factor of having done it with 2 different teams, and 4 different Head Coaches - Staubach only had 1 of those apiece.

Yeah that would be the tie breaker between those two, great point. I am just glad Big Ben never won 3 SB's lol, that would've been crazy to think he would have won more SB's than Peyton. Ben did have 3 appearances too but not 4. Eli winning 2 SB's is unreal in itself haha and Marino won 0.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see how anyone can call a QB that has won 3 League MVP's (as many as Brady has won) and has won a SB being weak mentally but that is your opinion. If GB would draft a WR that has talent instead of drafting backup QB's that can't play then that would help. I did say I think Bradshaw is great but I personally don't know anyone that thinks he is better than Aaron Rodgers, I haven't seen anyone in the media say that either. Like I posted earlier, if it is about SB Championships than Troy Aikman belongs on Mt Rushmore lol.

Winning league MVPs has nothing to do with grit and guts especially in today's pass happy league and Qb rules. Everytime I watch Rodgers in a big game he turtles when the game gets tough more than any other great QB I have ever seen and certainly more than Bradshaw. He would be the last Qb I would pick of the greats if I had one game to win.

1 hour ago, FortheWin said:

Winning league MVPs has nothing to do with grit and guts especially in today's pass happy league and Qb rules. Everytime I watch Rodgers in a big game he turtles when the game gets tough more than any other great QB I have ever seen and certainly more than Bradshaw. He would be the last Qb I would pick of the greats if I had one game to win.

I still think 'weak mentally' is the wrong choice of words. His post season success is average/nothing bad (probably above average in reality) I will give you that but he has won a SB. Until he gets that 2nd SB win I can see why some people may look at him and be skeptical. Personally Rodgers makes my top 6 of all-time but that is my list. I would have:

1. Tom Brady

2. Joe Montana

3. Peyton Manning

4. Johnny Unitas

5. John Elway

6. Aaron Rodgers would be 6th.

I base this off of everything = eye test, talent, being able to carry teams that are average and making them good, accomplishments as in League MVP's and Championships won, stats, and the clutch factor. Rodgers clutch factor may be his only flaw (winning 2 SB's is what he needs like Peyton got) but everything else he checks out as a 10. If you feel this way about Rodgers, you must think Brees is a wimp when it comes to big games :thmup:. Brees beat us for his only SB win and got lucky because Freeney was injured and a silly fluke onsides kick. Brees has never won an League MVP either.

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still think 'weak mentally' is the wrong choice of words. His post season success is average/nothing bad (probably above average in reality) I will give you that but he has won a SB. Until he gets that 2nd SB win I can see why some people may look at him and be skeptical. Personally Rodgers makes my top 6 of all-time but that is my list. I would have:

1. Tom Brady

2. Joe Montana

3. Peyton Manning

4. Johnny Unitas

5. John Elway

6. Aaron Rodgers would be 6th.

I base this off of everything = eye test, talent, being able to carry teams that are average and making them good, accomplishments as in League MVP's and Championships won, stats, and the clutch factor. Rodgers clutch factor may be his only flaw (winning 2 SB's is what he needs like Peyton got) but everything else he checks out as a 10. If you feel this way about Rodgers, you must think Brees is a wimp when it comes to big games :thmup:. Brees beat us for his only SB win and got lucky because Freeney was injured and a silly fluke onsides kick. Brees has never won an League MVP either.

To add to this QB's 1-3 can be listed in any kind of order in reality, can't go wrong with any of them. If I was starting an all-time draft I would take Peyton and be ok with it, you guys can have Brady or Montana. All is good.

On 3/13/2021 at 2:08 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I'm with you.   I use the eye test on QB's that I have seen play.  For me it started in the early 1980's.

My top 5 is:

Manning

Montana

Marino

Young

Brady

Archived