Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dream Draft for Indy

What an incredible draft this would be. Did a simulated draft and wound up with this incredible outcome for the Colts.

Round 1 Pick 21: Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State
Round 2 Pick 21: Tyson Campbell, CB, Georgia
Round 3 Pick 20: AmonRa St Brown, WR, USC
Round 4 Pick 21: Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa 
Round 5 Pick 21: Monty Rice, ILB/OLB, Georgia 
Round 6 Pick 21: Kyree Campbell, DT, Florida
Round 7 Pick 21: Carson Green, OT, Texas A&M

In Free Agency in this scenario Ballard would have to address LT, and I have him signing underrated 26 year old Taylor Moton from Carolina. Ballard typically signs players who are still ascending rather than the big name guys like Trent Williams who is aging and will start declining soon. Ballard could also look to sign a FA pass rusher like Bud Dupree or Carl Lawson as well.

Again this is a dream draft and not all these players will be available where I was able to draft them. But this would most certainly set up the Colts for great success into the future. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an updated version of my dream draft for Indy. This would net Indy proven players at positions of high importance on this team.

I didn't include all the re-signings, but I would prefer bringing back Hilton to a team friendly short term deal, along with Muhammed and Walker. 

Free agency

Ballard signs DE Carl Lawson to a 4 year deal, worth approx. 9 mil per season (Young pass rusher who is still ascending)

Ballard signs OT Ty Sambrailo to a 1 year deal, worth about 2 mil (Provides Indy with a better backup swing OT)

Draft

Round 1 - Ballard trades 21st overall pick to New Orleans for CB Marshon Lattimore (I could see Rhodes possibly joining Philly and Jonathan Gannon. Ballard won't want to overpay an aging corner imo. Lattimore gives Indy a longterm shut down corner that quite honestly the Saints can't afford with their cap situation.)

Round 2 - Ballard trades 2nd round pick, and 2022 3rd to Detroit for QB Matthew Stafford (If you read the Detroit article below, it states what I believe, in that Stafford may not cost as much as people are thinking. A 1st and 2nd is a lot to give up, and Ballard only did it last year, because he was getting an All-Pro player at only 26 years old. Stafford is no All-Pro player and he is 33.)

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2021/01/26/matthew-stafford-detroit-lions-trade-request/4252707001/

Round 3 - Ballard trades 3rd, 5th round picks to move up in the 3rd round to land OT Jackson Carman (He could fall to the early 3rd due to the depth at OT this draft. He could compete and potentially start right away at LT for Indy.)

Round 4 - Ballard drafts best WR available - Options in 4th round include Nico Collins, Amari Rodgers. (Still need more talent at WR with Hilton aging and Pittman the only other guy you can count on. 

Just now, ColtJax said:

Or, how about Ryan and Julio Jones for the #21 pick. Both are getting up there in age, but both have 3 years left and can get us to the show..

If Julio would stay healthy, yeah but he has been way too hit and miss with his availability that it is not money well spent. Plus those are huge contracts you are taking on that you cannot unload if things go south. Too much risk involved.

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Here is an updated version of my dream draft for Indy. This would net Indy proven players at positions of high importance on this team.

I didn't include all the re-signings, but I would prefer bringing back Hilton to a team friendly short term deal, along with Muhammed and Walker. 

Free agency

Ballard signs DE Carl Lawson to a 4 year deal, worth approx. 9 mil per season (Young pass rusher who is still ascending)

Ballard signs OT Ty Sambrailo to a 1 year deal, worth about 2 mil (Provides Indy with a better backup swing OT)

Draft

Round 1 - Ballard trades 21st overall pick to New Orleans for CB Marshon Lattimore (I could see Rhodes possibly joining Philly and Jonathan Gannon. Ballard won't want to overpay an aging corner imo. Lattimore gives Indy a longterm shut down corner that quite honestly the Saints can't afford with their cap situation.)

Round 2 - Ballard trades 2nd round pick, and 2022 3rd to Detroit for QB Matthew Stafford (If you read the Detroit article below, it states what I believe, in that Stafford may not cost as much as people are thinking. A 1st and 2nd is a lot to give up, and Ballard only did it last year, because he was getting an All-Pro player at only 26 years old. Stafford is no All-Pro player and he is 33.)

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2021/01/26/matthew-stafford-detroit-lions-trade-request/4252707001/

Round 3 - Ballard trades 3rd, 5th round picks to move up in the 3rd round to land OT Jackson Carman (He could fall to the early 3rd due to the depth at OT this draft. He could compete and potentially start right away at LT for Indy.)

Round 4 - Ballard drafts best WR available - Options in 4th round include Nico Collins, Amari Rodgers. (Still need more talent at WR with Hilton aging and Pittman the only other guy you can count on. 

I do not like Round 1 or 2 in the way presented, and you probably know that based on my history. :) 

It might not take a 1st and 2nd to get Stafford but it will take at least a 1st rounder, IMO, and I have told you that before because of the value of the QB position and enough suitors out there. Plus, unless we let go of Eberflus, for the system that he runs, Lattimore is not necessary for us to win, definitely not with a 1st round pick unless we give up on Tell and RYS, and not bring back Rhodes.  Switch Round 1 and Round 2 with Stafford (1st and future 3rd for the happy medium) and Lattimore with a 2nd rounder like we got Vontae Davis (since the Saints will be desperate to get what they can), you have a stellar combo.

Rounds 3 and 4, love the picks.

If I haven't told you, love your enthusiasm regardless. Keep it coming!!! :) 

Archived