Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My (Slow Work Week) Mock Draft

Needs:

Starters: QB, NT, CB, TE, OG

Depth: WR, OL, CB

Pick 1: Andrew Luck, QB

Starts immediately. QB of the future. Everything you want in a QB.

Pick 34: Jayron Hosley, CB

We can probably trade back and still get him, but I think he will be well worth the pick. I think he will be better than Dennard and safer than Jenkins.

Pick 64: Josh Chapman, NT

Dominant NT from the SEC. Injury could cause him to fall (ACL repair in Jan), but he will be an immediate starter when healthy. Not as big as Ta'amu, but doesn't come with weight issues and is twice as nasty.

Pick 97: Matt McCants, OG

Good guard prospect (played tackle in college).

Pick 136: Tommy Streeter, WR

Big, fast target.

Pick 170: Evan Rodriguez, FB/TE

I love the idea of having Rodriguez, Chris Gronkowski, and Brody Elridge on the feild at one time. They all have good hands, and can block extremely well.

Pick 206: Hebron Fangupo, NT/DE

Two NT in this draft? YES! Fangupo is insurance in case Chapman doesn't heal all the way, he provides a chance for Chapman to rest if he needs it in games, and he played 3-4 DE at times in college so we can use him there during running downs.

Pick 208: Mike Harris, CB

Extremely quick athlete. If he were bigger, he would be an early day prospect. Also a good ST gunner and returner.

Pick 214: Garth Gerhart, C

Good depth for interior line. Plays with as much intensity as his brother.

Pick 253: Antoine McClain, OG

More O-line depth. We need our running game to step it up.

Starters:

QB Andrew Luck

RB Donald Brown

TE Brody Elridge

FB/TE Chris Gronkowski (or WR Austin Collie)

WR Reggie Wayne

WR Donnie Avery

OT Anthony Castonzo

OG Matt McCants

C Samson Satele

OG Winston Justice

OT Ben Ijalana

DE Fili Moala (people forget he was a great 3-4 DE at USC)

NT Josh Chapman

DE Cory Redding

OLB Robert Mathis

ILB Pat Angerer

ILB Kavell Conner

OLB Dwight Freeney

CB Jerraud Powers

SS Tom Zbikowski

FS Antoine Bethea

CB Jayron Hosley

Thank you for your time!

Let me know what you think!

This is a really interesting read by Kiper.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7755064/2012-nfl-draft-kiper-colts-optimal-draft-plan

Sample:

In the second round (No. 34), I think the first goal would be to find maximum value at tight end or wide receiver. Coby Fleener might not be around after rising to the top of the tight end class, but if he is, it would obviously be a great fit. Luck reads tight ends so well, loves to use them, and Bruce Arians has always utilized good tight ends, or developed them. Still, if Fleener is gone and Kendall Wright or Stephen Hill are available, the Colts can add a WR just as easily. I think this spot might be a slight reach for Alshon Jeffery. The Colts could also look for great value on the defensive line here, and look for a guy like Jeffery later.Kendall Reyes or even Jerel Worthy could be tempting here as Indy looks for guys who can occupy and stuff the run, which was a huge problem in Indianapolis last season.

At No. 64 overall, if the Colts didn't take a pass-catching target earlier, they should get one here. Tight end Dwayne Allen could still be available, or perhaps a WR like Rueben Randlefalls this far. Brian Quick, a 6-foot-3, 220-pound WR out of Appalachian State that I really like, could also be in the mix here. If the Colts have taken a wideout, they should look for talent on the defensive line here. Brandon Thompson out of Clemson could be there, or maybe Jared Crick out of Nebraska if you want a guy more in the J.J. Watt mold, a 3-4 DE that can really penetrate. A NT option could be Alameda Ta'amu out of Washington. If Indy loves the value, a corner here might be a guy like Jayron Hosley, a really gifted and instinctive corner out of Virginia Tech.

This is a really interesting read by Kiper.

http://insider.espn....imal-draft-plan

Sample:

In the second round (No. 34), I think the first goal would be to find maximum value at tight end or wide receiver. Coby Fleener might not be around after rising to the top of the tight end class, but if he is, it would obviously be a great fit. Luck reads tight ends so well, loves to use them, and Bruce Arians has always utilized good tight ends, or developed them. Still, if Fleener is gone and Kendall Wright or Stephen Hill are available, the Colts can add a WR just as easily. I think this spot might be a slight reach for Alshon Jeffery. The Colts could also look for great value on the defensive line here, and look for a guy like Jeffery later.Kendall Reyes or even Jerel Worthy could be tempting here as Indy looks for guys who can occupy and stuff the run, which was a huge problem in Indianapolis last season.

At No. 64 overall, if the Colts didn't take a pass-catching target earlier, they should get one here. Tight end Dwayne Allen could still be available, or perhaps a WR like Rueben Randlefalls this far. Brian Quick, a 6-foot-3, 220-pound WR out of Appalachian State that I really like, could also be in the mix here. If the Colts have taken a wideout, they should look for talent on the defensive line here. Brandon Thompson out of Clemson could be there, or maybe Jared Crick out of Nebraska if you want a guy more in the J.J. Watt mold, a 3-4 DE that can really penetrate. A NT option could be Alameda Ta'amu out of Washington. If Indy loves the value, a corner here might be a guy like Jayron Hosley, a really gifted and instinctive corner out of Virginia Tech.

Hate to agree with Mel Kiper but I think he's spot on. Which means for certain none of those guys will be picked by us.

I would like t double up on WR, CB and NT in this draft. Maybe TE too.

1QB, 2 CBs, 2 WRs, 2 TEs, 2 NT and 1 whatever else... maybe a boom or bust guy with problems on D. like a Vontaze Burfict or a Donte Paige Moss. That would prolly be my favorite breakdown.

you reaching out of need...bad idea for a 2-14 team

That is true...

I was more just puting in the players I wanted. I would be ecstatic if we traded back to pick up more picks, and still ended up with these players.

Judging on some of the responses, I think we could probably pull off a draft like:

Luck

Fleener

Hosley

Chapman

Streeter

Fangupo

Harris

Gerhart

McClain