Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Speculation: Rivers wont be back next year...(based off an article from March)

Shadow_Creek

I don’t think Ballard’s decision is going to be if we get close to a SB. It’s going to be if we make the playoffs. He needs rivers for st least one more year. Just needs to by time for Eason to get one more year or a rookie we draft to be ready. 

I kind of doubt they draft a QB and start them right away or just let Eason and a guy we draft battle it out unless we miss the playoffs.   This all comes down to just making the playoffs. We may draft a QB and keep rivers and Eason. Then we have two young guys battling in 2022. 

If wouldnt even surprise me if we keep the three we have now. Jacoby would make a good backup for Eason in 2022 and I don’t see any interest in him from other teams. The Jacoby situation may not play out until after the draft though. 

I would be stunned if rivers is not resigned after making the playoffs. 

Well, whatever happens, the one good thing for the Colts (for a second year in a row now) is that because of all the guys on one year or last year contracts, they're going to have a ton of cap room again next offseason, which means a ton of options again. And given that, who knows at this point all the things they'll do? I mean, mid-season last year, who came even remotely close to predicting all the offseason moves for this year?

10 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I believe Rivers wanted 2 years, the Colts refused. That's the same reason we didn't sign Brady (though they preferred Rivers anyway). I am glad they didn't sign him and took a wait and see. I also believe (JMO) that might be why they gave him 25 million as a way to get him to move his family here with no second year guarantee.  I want to see how much life is in Rivers arm at the end of the season. There isn't that much now so any drop off is a no go.  Manning wore out as well (both of them). People can't point to Brady as a comparison, he's unique in history at the level he's still at. Rivers hasn't got the arm/health/energy now that Brady does.  

Rivers doesn't have the health? He's never missed a game. He's never had a cannon. He's doing fine. His stats are closer to 2018 than 2019. 

As far as what I read, Rivers wanted a one year. Haven't seen anything about him wanting 2 years. Rivers was moving from Cali anyway. He put his house up for sale early before he signed. He'll make his move to Bama when done where he has a job lined up and family. This move gets him closer to family. So really doubt the $ had anything to do with trying to get him to move. 

9 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

If this is the max ceiling of Rivers’ potential, it looks pretty good to me. 
Ya’ll aren’t excited about Rivers because he’s a statue and doesn’t scramble and throw crazy throws across the field, but this type of efficiency should EXCITE you. :monkeydance:

The whole "noodle arm" and INT crowds ignore just about all of the positives. 

Both his CPOE and his EPApp were tremendous in their own right, but next level phenomenal given the musical chairs we've seen at both WR and TE.

He has his 2nd best QBR in the last 7 years, and trending up.

Here's the last 6 years

Em-7hhTXcAAyLaT?format=jpg&name=medium

23 hours ago, EastStreet said:

dude, lol... 

so you post an article from March, and make that hot take... you're making a leap with the title.

maybe they just wanted to keep their options open. maybe they liked Rivers better, and he didn't want to commit for 2 years. but nothing at all says Rivers won't be back. if they make a playoff run, you really don't think they'd want Rivers back to start Eason or go back to JB? the season will play out before either party makes a decision on 2021

If they make the AFCCG, but lose, they’ll definitely move on and go with Jacoby

11 minutes ago, SpanosSucks said:

Everyone salivates over what this team would look like with a Mahomes type behind center, but don’t realize, out of 32 teams only a few teams have that elite level.  They’re not easy to come by. 

And there's risks involved. For every Mahomes, there's 10+ QBs that age out of the league quickly, or simply bounce around to a slow death. 

Mahomes is crazy lucky he ended up with Reid. He could have been wasted by a lot of coaches, or ruined by a lot of bad teams.

There's always about 10-15 teams that are happy with their QBs future wise. The rest are trying to develop young guys, trying out a re-tread, or looking for a better guy. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The whole "noodle arm" and INT crowds ignore just about all of the positives. 

Both his CPOE and his EPApp were tremendous in their own right, but next level phenomenal given the musical chairs we've seen at both WR and TE.

He has his 2nd best QBR in the last 7 years, and trending up.

Here's the last 6 years

Em-7hhTXcAAyLaT?format=jpg&name=medium

For some reason some get mixed up between what a noodle arm is and being able to throw a football 60 yards in the air. Rivers does not have a noodle arm, he has zip on his 10-15 yard throws. He just can't wing it 60 yards anymore. I have no problem with JB coming in to wing it 60 Yards if we had to at the end of a half or game, or JB QB sneaking on 4th and 1. He is actually good at those things. That doesn't make Rivers less of a QB IMO.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For some reason some get mixed up between what a noodle arm is and being able to throw a football 60 yards in the air. Rivers does not have a noodle arm, he has zip on his 10-15 yard throws. He just can't wing it 60 yards anymore. I have no problem with JB coming in to wing it 60 Yards if we had to at the end of a half or game, or JB QB sneaking on 4th and 1. He is actually good at those things. That doesn't make Rivers less of a QB IMO.

i disagree cause you got Brady at 45 being able to rush easily for a 1st down on 4th and 1 and still taking the deep shot even tho it may or may not get to its mark. point is if rivers cant do the same at 38 somethings wrong in Denmark. 

3 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i disagree cause you got Brady at 45 being able to rush easily for a 1st down on 4th and 1 and still taking the deep shot even tho it may or may not get to its mark. point is if rivers cant do the same at 38 somethings wrong in Denmark. 

Doesn't really matter as long as we win and people should be happy with that alone. We are 6-3 in 1st place in the division but yet some still want to nitpick. I haven't seen Brady throw it 60 yards in 5 years lmao 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Doesn't really matter as long as we win and people should be happy with that alone. We are 6-3 in 1st place in the division but yet some still want to nitpick. I haven't seen Brady throw it 60 yards in 5 years lmao 

lol that's because he would gift the other team every time at this point haha 

On 11/17/2020 at 1:42 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He's had a few nice long throws too. But yea, the whole noodle arm thing is silly. He's never had a cannon, and never made his bones on bullets down field. He's a touch/anticipation QB. Always has been. 

Archived