Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Speculation: Rivers wont be back next year...(based off an article from March)

Shadow_Creek

so i read this article right here 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/23/tom-brady-had-interest-in-colts-but-colts-didnt-have-interest-in-brady/#comments

seems like colts only wanted a 1 year signing deal along with a game managing bridge QB and they got that this year from Rivers. unfortunately i think what we see now from Rivers is the max ceiling of his potential and i dont see him being resigned. so just maybe the journey of Eason begins next season or whoever we decide to draft in 2021

dude, lol... 

so you post an article from March, and make that hot take... you're making a leap with the title.

maybe they just wanted to keep their options open. maybe they liked Rivers better, and he didn't want to commit for 2 years. but nothing at all says Rivers won't be back. if they make a playoff run, you really don't think they'd want Rivers back to start Eason or go back to JB? the season will play out before either party makes a decision on 2021

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

dude, lol... 

so you post an article from March, and make that hot take... you're making a leap with the title.

maybe they just wanted to keep their options open. maybe they liked Rivers better, and he didn't want to commit for 2 years. but nothing at all says Rivers won't be back. if they make a playoff run, you really don't think they'd want Rivers back to start Eason or go back to JB? the season will play out before either party makes a decision on 2021

The title is very misleading, when I first seen it I lmao . 

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

if Colts finish 10 - 6 or better I guarantee he will be back of course if he's willing to

i wouldn't guarantee at this point. if he starts tossing INTs again, and we still end up 10-6 and make an early exit in the WC round, not sure they'd bring him back if other options presented themselves.

Just now, EastStreet said:

i wouldn't guarantee at this point. if he starts tossing INTs again, and we still end up 10-6 and make an early exit in the WC round, not sure they'd bring him back if other options presented themselves.

It will depend too how draft falls i don't see Ballard trading up at all

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

It will depend too how draft falls i don't see Ballard trading up at all

There may be 5 1st round QBs this year. FL and BYU's QBs are rising, and may be available around our pick depending on where we fall. That's if we're not happy with Eason's progress. I don't think Ballard likes to trade up, but I do think he would if he sees the value in a particular guy.

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

That is a big “IF”

which if

There may be better re-treads available next year.  Stafford, Rodgers, Cam, Fitzpatrick, that kid the jets broke, trubisky or foles (urk).......

one year with rivers was smart.  There may be a glut of displaced "starters" going into next season, why commit beyond a year?  Not to mention Eason and/or the draft. 

No offense to rivers, hes been inconsistent but a net positive to this point. That said tho, personally I hope we move on. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

There may be 5 1st round QBs this year. FL and BYU's QBs are rising, and may be available around our pick depending on where we fall. That's if we're not happy with Eason's progress. I don't think Ballard likes to trade up, but I do think he would if he sees the value in a particular guy.

which if

6 most likely 

Lawrence 

Fields

Lance

Jones 

Trask 

Wilson 

Philip may not be back next year. We'll all know when we know. But as far as drawing that conclusion from that article, that article was at least 90% about the Colts and Brady, not the Colts and Rivers. I don't see how that article impacts this topic at all. But that's just how I see it, of course. I could be wrong.

All I know is that the relationship between Reich and Rivers is very real and authentic (even with Sirianni, too). When you hear all the high praise and respect from each of them for the other, it's not a show. For whatever that means to you.

13 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Philip may not be back next year. We'll all know when we know. But as far as drawing that conclusion from that article, that article was at least 90% about the Colts and Brady, not the Colts and Rivers. I don't see how that article impacts this topic at all. But that's just how I see it, of course. I could be wrong.

All I know is that the relationship between Reich and Rivers is very real and authentic (even with Sirianni, too). When you hear all the high praise and respect from each of them for the other, it's not a show. For whatever that means to you.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

IDK what to think.  I don't really want another year of Rivers but I'm not sure what else we have yet.  I would hope they would look to add another QB and let Brissett walk but who knows?  I think having a pre-season next year will do wonders for sorting out our QB situation.

• w87r changed the title to Rivers wont be back next year...(speculation based off an article from March)
27 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

god please no, the longer we hold on to Rivers the longer it will take for us to actively pursue the next franchise QB.

Who says if we bring back rivers for another year that means we don’t pursue that. Eason needs a year as the actual backup or do you really want a rookie starting next year on a team this good. If we go to the playoffs this year that gives Eason a year as the backup and maybe get some preseason time or a year for a rookie to develop.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Who says if we bring back rivers for another year that means we don’t pursue that. Eason needs a year as the actual backup or do you really want a rookie starting next year on a team this good. If we go to the playoffs this year that gives Eason a year as the backup and maybe get some preseason time or a year for a rookie to develop.

Exactly. The Colts can chew gum and walk just fine. Signing Rivers to a further year doesn't preclude the team from pursuing a potential franchise QB if they don't believe Eason is the guy.

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

7 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Exactly. The Colts can chew gum and walk just fine. Signing Rivers to a further year doesn't preclude the team from pursuing a potential franchise QB if they don't believe Eason is the guy.

Yea you Guys/ Gals are probably right. I just would like to see Ballard trade up to get a guy high in the draft. I dont know if that will happen till we are truly uncomfortable in the Qb position which means Rivers take a hike lol.

11 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Yea you Guys/ Gals are probably right. I just would like to see Ballard trade up to get a guy high in the draft. I dont know if that will happen till we are truly uncomfortable in the Qb position which means Rivers take a hike lol.

If CB believes he has identified a QB who fits what he wants from the position, nothing he's shown says he won't pull the trigger if the player is within his reach.

When he traded for Buckner, many people thought it was aggressive. When he picked Leonard, again people thought it was aggressive. He'll move up for a QB if he thinks the player is right, and if he finds a trading partner willing to accept his offer.

I personally hope he is not our starting QB next year. If we had a mediocre defense this year i think we are below .500. He is not a QB i trust pushing us down the field. Easily better then Brisset but still not enough for us to be true contenders. I'm not sure if Eason is the one moving forward but we either need to find out what we have in him or we need to take a QB early on in the draft.

If Eason is not the guy I think we are still another year from Ballard trading assets to move up for a QB. We need a LT. I think he will wait and see more of Eason before making that decision. If we make the playoffs that gives us another year to bye time and see what Eason can do before we give away too much. We really need to finish strong and have Rivers stick around for another year. Hopefully Campbell stays healthy next year and things start much faster with rivers next year. Let’s not forget  covid how that kind  of put us behind the eight  ball. Whether Rivers comes back really depends on us making the playoffs or not. If we do it’s a easy decision.

Its funny I was just on the Titans forum and they were talking about Ryan "Tanne" and how he isnt going to do anything without Henry and how its just another QB in their QB purgatory... 

The Colts and Titans are so similar, I wouldn't be surprised to see these two teams at the top of the division for the foreseeable future battling it out even to the end of the season. 

With the Draft potentially being deep at QB, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see QB selected first, and OT selected 2nd. 

Let the Rookie and Eason compete at QB and keep the other as a backup. 

At this point Rivers needs to make Ballard resign him by playing lights out. Otherwise I dont think Ballard will sign him to a second deal. 

I think if we get close to a SB this year and Rivers plays well and HE wants to come back and try to win that SB then I think we will resign him.  He might even take the same money or less to help Ballard keep and strengthen the roster.  Ballard knows the missing piece is a premier WR1 and he will go get him by trading for him.  Probably a proven superior talent currently languishing on a losing team that could use cap relief or a pick to help with a rebuild or retooling.  Everything we are reading about Eason seems to lean towards him being our future QB.  He just needs to wait in the wings like Rogers did and learn and be prepared to take over when he's ready.  I think Ballard drafted his future QB last year.  

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

dude, lol... 

I believe Rivers wanted 2 years, the Colts refused. That's the same reason we didn't sign Brady (though they preferred Rivers anyway). I am glad they didn't sign him and took a wait and see. I also believe (JMO) that might be why they gave him 25 million as a way to get him to move his family here with no second year guarantee.  I want to see how much life is in Rivers arm at the end of the season. There isn't that much now so any drop off is a no go.  Manning wore out as well (both of them). People can't point to Brady as a comparison, he's unique in history at the level he's still at. Rivers hasn't got the arm/health/energy now that Brady does.  

• Shive changed the title to Speculation: Rivers wont be back next year...(based off an article from March)

There's a non-zero chance that Rivers comes back...but I think it's really low. IF the Colts did actually win the SB...then Rivers would have his ring. IF they don't...it's likely the offense that has held them back.

I suppose the Colts could fancy themselves a version of the DEN SB teams...after Manning came over in FA...but I don't think so.

There are going to be roster dynamics at play...that will make it almost that imperative that Ballard makes a play at a cost-controlled QB this offseason. I suppose there's a scenario where Rivers comes back for $10M or something silly...but it's hard to see that happening.

Archived