Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Indy Top Ten

IndyTrav

All this HOF talk has got me thinking about who the Top 10 Indy Era Colts are. Obviously just opinions, but should be fun. FO and Coaching can be included.

1. Peyton. This is a Gimme.

2. Polian. Although I haven't been happy with him circa 2006, no denying what he's done.

3. Dungy. Won a SB.

4. Edge. Manning may have been the centerpiece, but it all started coming together when Edge came to town.

5. Harbaugh. Captain comeback. Embodied local Indy at the time. Rugged, just got it done.

6. Faulk. HoF start, unfortunately it ended in StL.

7. Freeney. Tenacious, fast, new wave of DE. HoF potential.

8. Harrison. Describe a 'Colts' guy, quiet, lunch pale, gets the most outta there talent. Marvin fits the bill.

9. Saturday. Same as Marvin. Unheralded, nothing special, yet he's a perennial PBer.

HM: marchibroda, Dilger, Lamey

Not a lot of 83-94 Colts on my list. Is it new school bias, or just a general lack of established Indy talent? Curious about everyone elses opinions.

No love for Billy Brooks or "Big Play" Ray?

other than that interception hot streak he had, "big play" was bigger than ray's play. he was a good corner, but not star quality. i don't know who coined the nickname, but ray wasn't shy about reminding everyone about it

loved brooks and he seems like a very likeable man. i think he works in the colts' front office now

Or Eric Dickerson, Jeff Herrod(best LB to ever play in indy) Chris Hinton, Tarik Glenn

when i think of dickerson, i always think of gary hogeboom and the halloween monday night massacre. at the time, it was the most significant moment of the indianapolis era history

3. The Halloween Massacre- Colts 55 Broncos 23 October 31, 1988

The first MNF game in Indianapolis put the city on the map. The defending AFC Champion Broncos came to town and Dickerson destroyed them. The game was never close, as ED posted four first half touchdowns. This remains to this day one of the largest blowout wins in the history of Monday Night Football, as the Colts jumped to a 55-10 lead.

Hero: Dickerson. Four touchdowns and 159 yard rushing.

Factoid: The Colts printed masks of the MNF crew (Michales, Dierdorf, and Gifford) and passed them out to fans who wore them as ABC cut to the crowd at the start of the game.

source

other than that interception hot streak he had, "big play" was bigger than ray's play. he was a good corner, but not star quality. i don't know who coined the nickname, but ray wasn't shy about reminding everyone about it

loved brooks and he seems like a very likeable man. i think he works in the colts' front office now

Yep. never really cared for Ray. He certainly wasn't anywhere remotely near a top ten Colt. I just threw his name out there for nostalgia sakes.

I agree with BleedthisBlue on the Goose. He was in beast mode every Sunday.

Factoid: Did you know every time the Colts have faced KC in the playoffs they have made it to the AFC Championship game? This occurred in 1996, 2004 and 2007.

don't mean to go off subject, but i saw this posted at the site i linked above and thought it was interesting. i know we were heavily favored to lose in '96 & '07. i think it was it steve bono that had the flu in the '96 game. and in the '07 game, our league worst run defense held the chiefs' number one rush offense to 37 yards

Tony siragusa

Rob Morris

God I hated Rob Morris lol. Bob Sanders has to be there, Dilger had his moments, Dallas Clark, I loved David Thornton, and "* kicker" or nor not Mike Vanderjagt had some great seasons in Indy.

Vandershank did have some great moments and some ones well he probably should never speak again but he was great for a while.

That 51 yarder in the playoff game, I still don't blame him for. Was terrible clock management.

That 51 yarder in the playoff game, I still don't blame him for. Was terrible clock management.

I didnt think it was quite that far but...

I was more refering to every pressure kick he took after that, didnt he miss everything including jerry jones' ego (which is pretty hard) until he ended up back in the cfl... But for a while he was better than good just glad it was for us

when i think of dickerson, i always think of gary hogeboom and the halloween monday night massacre. at the time, it was the most significant moment of the indianapolis era history

haha that gave me the goosebumps. I remember seeing it on TV mentioned many times, and that kind of set the first stone in place to make me a lifelong Colts fan. It took about 5 years after that until I actually enjoyed watching football because I was old enough. I wish I could get a high quality full version of that game. That game is definitely my first Colts memory.

I'm gonna split my list 50/50 offense/defense plus spread it around a bit:

1. Peyton Manning

2. EJ

3. Marvin Harrison

4. Dwight Freeney

5. Reggie Wayne

6. Duane Bicket (ROLB). It's a major oversight to leave him off any Indy era top ten list (1985 defensive rookie of the year, 1987 probowler, 53 sacks, 9 INTs, 9FF, and never under 100 tackles/yr (1052 total) until his last two Colt seasons w/89 & 97 respectively.

7. Tony Siragusa

8. Robert Mathis

9. Tarik Glenn. O-line never quite the same after he left.

10. Eugene Daniel. The best CB this team has had during the Indy era deserves to make the list. 13 yrs of service, 35 INTs (3 for TDs), 744 total tackles.

Honorable mention: Marshall Faulk, Albert Benley (awesome RB but stuck behind Dickerson, led club with 71 catches in 1990, 4.5 ypc over career), Jim Harbaugh, Dallas Clark, Jeff Saturday, Jeff Herrod....and a yes a kicker, Rohn Stark (13yrs service bridging Balt/Indy career 43.4 yd. punt avg. & 124 inside the 20).