Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Running Back by Committee

Scott Pennock

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Like in the mock draft we are running, this forum's fans better pray Josh Jacobs does not drop to No.59 (might even be BPA at No.34 on their board if he is there) and give Ballard a dilemma. This board is going to be whiny, yes, very whiny, if that happens i.e. Ballard choosing an RB. Hopefully, the best outcome that satisfies everyone is that he can get both of the Eagles' 2nd rounders (53 and 57) for Josh Jacobs if he is there at No.34. 

I wouldn't in round 2 have a huge problem with it.  

My biggest issue is that Ballard and Reich have already come out saying Marlon Mack is the guy.  That they think he's a franchise RB.  

If they go drafting an RB in the 2nd round that doesn't square with that view.  

The 2nd round, is not a round you draft depth in.  It's a round you draft potential starters in.  

Now 4th round or later, that still squares with the view of Mack being a lead back because you are getting into the area of the draft where you get draft and rotational players.  

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

My biggest issue is that Ballard and Reich have already come out saying Marlon Mack is the guy.  That they think he's a franchise RB.  

The 2nd round, is not a round you draft depth in.  It's a round you draft potential starters in.  

Now 4th round or later, that still squares with the view of Mack being a lead back because you are getting into the area of the draft where you get draft and rotational players.  

I understand where you’re coming from but I’m not so sure they’d waste a Top 30 visit for a smoke screen, or maybe they will???

I wouldn't mind taking Rodney Anderson with our 5th round pick or even comp 4th round pick, if he were to still be on the board. We wouldn't need him to carry the load, Mack is the RB1. You could give him a similar load to what Wilkins got last season (he averaged 4 carries and 1 pass per game). That wouldn't put too much stress on his body.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Where is this hating on Castonzo coming from? He has been an above average left tackle for us and we have had him on what can be considered a pretty decent deal compared to his output for quite some time now. Careful what you wish for, the grass isnt always greener.

Not to mention.... some of you have the memory of a goldfish.... remember when AC was the best player on our O-line? It wasnt all that long ago.... Count your blessings to be complaining about him as the weak link.

The "hate" is all sarcasm.     During this past season, we had a poster who would rant and rave that AC is terrible.    His reason?    He hasn't been voted to the Pro Bowl, once.  

Kept trashing him over and over in several posts.    At some point, it was hard to take him seriously.    Oddly enough,  he disappeared when AC returned to the lineup and the line play got dramatically better almost overnight and the team won 9 of it's final 10 regular season games.

Funny how that works!          :thmup:

• Like 2

I know it only a minority of fans, but it's not right the bashing Anthony Costanzo has gotten from certain parts of the Colts fanbase down through the years. AC has been an incredible servant to this franchise and has been here through some terrible teams (2011), bad coaches, bad oline, etc. Alot of guys would have just packed up and left but he stuck with us, never complained and has brought great leadership. And he has always been a solid LT... and you can bet we will know in a couple of years (or hopefully not next year) the difficult challenge it is finding a solid LT long term. I hold him as a player and person in the highest regard anyway.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

This analysis makes a lot of sense.  The thing I remember is Mack was drafted in the 4th. Rd. Thus he was probably not viewed as a lead back.  Ballard and Reich can make all the statements they want about Mack being a lead Bell Cow back.  The fact is he has a hard time staying healthy.  And we all tend to forget the big word when it comes to selecting a player. The "BUT" word.  He's our RB1 "BUT" we didn't think a player we had rated in the top 10 or 15 would ever be there when we picked at 26 or 34 or whatever.  We found it to hard to pass.  I think it's a long shot Jacobs gets to us but we all should be hoping he does just to see what happens.  Nothing to worry about.  We should get a great prospect either way.