Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What # Will Luck Wear?

Ohio Colt

I dont think QBs can wear 20 can they? And howcome everybody jumps at the idea Luck will choose #12? I know it seems like he will choose 12 but he could always change his # like manning did when he entered the league. I see #16

the only reason manning changed his number from 16 to 18 is because of his brothers neck disability preventing him to play anymore, thats the only reason

I think he'll win more championships than Manning did, at the end of the day that's what matters. It will be hard to decide who was really better.... it will be like debating politics. But I think Luck will have 14 or 15 years like manning did here. Sorry. I have watched a lot of Luck in college and love the guy as a prospect. Manning got old, and got replaced. It's sports. Even though it stinks. I realize it still stings.

Sure SB wins are what matter - from a team perspective. But they wouldn't be an indicator of superiority any more that Brady's wins are of his. SBs are TEAM awards, and Brady won his three as a glorified game manager. After a decade of making this argument in Peyton's favor I'm not about to convenient switch now. In fact my fear is that Pagano and company want us to be the new Ravens. If that's what makes your boat float, wonderful, but you don't really need "the best QB prospect since Elway" for that. Are they even going to develop him to be more than a game manager? Phil Simms had a lot of success (and got a lot of acclaim) without arguably ever being one of the top five QBs in the league at any given time. Maybe top ten. If you're going to dump a four time MVP and bow down to Luck at his first press conference, the guy had better be significantly better than that.

That being said, I'd be delighted if you are right on all counts, but the odds are against it. Methinks that you (and many others) take a few things for granted - like Peyton. But don't mistake me for a "Peyton fan" with blinders on. When I was a kid Johnny Unitas was king, and I was distressed when he was traded. But Bert Jones quickly became one of my childhood sports hero's. Of course before long HE got injured and later traded as well. Just excruciatingly disappointing to live through. But I'm a Colts fan first and foremost, and I adapt. And despite those childish devotions, I've long since come to recognize Peyton as being as good or better than Unitas or Jones - and pretty much everyone else in history. He earned all of our respect - he's just amazing. If Luck joins that legendary group we should all count ourselves blessed. NO other franchise has anything close. Believe me, I would like NOTHING better.

The thing is, however, Unitas in San Diego was sad to see, but he was clearly washed up. Jones hadn't been himself for years before he was sent to the Rams. Ugly, but understandable. Peyton, however, isn't as old as you think he is. Elway won Super Bowls at an older age, Warner nearly did as well. Favre played well at 40 for crying out loud - and both Elway and Favre were QBs who relied on their legs a lot more than Peyton. Peyton's secret weapon is his brain, and that's working just fine. IF his arm is back he will continue to be one of the best QBs of all time clear through Luck reaching I'd say about age 27.

Well by age 27 Unitas AND Jones AND Manning had ALL won the MVP award, and were widely considered the class of the league. And Peyton only got BETTER after that. What will Luck have accomplished by then? The people who are going nuts for him are conveniently ignoring how much he has to learn, and how long it may take for him to learn it. If Peyton had recently retired (or was clearly washed up) then I'd count my blessings and welcome Luck with open arms. The fact is, however, that it's precisely the PRESENCE of Luck that necessitated Manning being released in the first place. If the best guy available was on the level of a Sam Bradford or something, I don't think that they would be doing this. If Peyton returns to form, Luck essentially HAS to become a perennial all pro and an MVP just to prevent this from being one of the darkest events in the teams history. Just being a Ben Rothlesberger - super bowl wins or not - isn't going to cut it.

In other words, we just gave up a guy who I'd rather have on my team than Brady, Favre, Elway, Marino, Montana, Kelly, etc etc. Think of the meaning of the words that comprise "greatest of all time". For anyone to just assume that - snap your fingers - we just got the NEXT "greatest of all time" is naive to be kind. As much as I'd like to see Luck succeed, I don't share your exuberance one iota.

Why not just go with 7?

Ew, no. That number does not have a good history with the Colts. Curtis Painter and Tom Tuba is not good company. I'm just kidding, but he's always had 12, so I wouldn't expect him to change now. 17 is just my guess of what would look the best.

Ew, no. That number does not have a good history with the Colts. Curtis Painter and Tom Tuba is not good company. I'm just kidding, but he's always had 12, so I wouldn't expect him to change now. 17 is just my guess of what would look the best.

Jones wore 7. I think it will be 12 if not that probably 10 that's what his dad wore I believe.