Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning Had The Advantage Over Luck Or Whoever

jemack

Manning began his NFL career with Faulk, then James. This gave him a few years to develop so in time he'd have the maturity to overcome a mediocre rushing attack later in his career. Now, the new Qb gets Brown? Carter? They need to upgrade this off season or it will be a long road to travel for who's ever behind center.

I think the Colts will surround Luck with weapons right away. IMO, you don't draft a franchise qb and then put scrubs around him.

I do too, I think were we to have Manning stay we'd have based the draft around the secondary and players who can adapt to 3-4. Instead, I think we'll go for an offense heavy draft to avoid David Carr syndrome, ignore the D and do that next year with our incredible cap space and another low pick in the draft. I think I'd prefer this as well - another poor season would be horrible but not as bad as ruining Andrew Luck.

I do too, I think were we to have Manning stay we'd have based the draft around the secondary and players who can adapt to 3-4. Instead, I think we'll go for an offense heavy draft to avoid David Carr syndrome, ignore the D and do that next year with our incredible cap space and another low pick in the draft. I think I'd prefer this as well - another poor season would be horrible but not as bad as ruining Andrew Luck.

The colts would almost have to re sign either Wayne or Garcon or both in order to turn their attention towards the offensive line and a running back in FA AND the draft. And I don't think there's an RB in FA worth signing for the cost.

So, will they trade up to get Polk or Miller or stay and hope they fall to the 2nd round.

I disagree, they need to use the draft for the defense first, then find a horse or two in free agency on the O line and platoon running backs so they don't have to have just one great one....IMHO

I disagree, they need to use the draft for the defense first, then find a horse or two in free agency on the O line and platoon running backs so they don't have to have just one great one....IMHO

They need someone to play nose tackle (Are we desperate for Haynesworth?) and the rest should be line and RB to help take the focus off Weed... err anyone behind center

They need someone to play nose tackle (Are we desperate for Haynesworth?) and the rest should be line and RB to help take the focus off Weed... err anyone behind center

Wouldn't Haynesworth be an end in a 3-4? He has played 4-3 DT, if I'm not mistaken.

If you go D this year, your new QB does not last and will become David Carr by year 3 or 4. Sorry that is what happens why you gut a team.

If you go D this year, your new QB does not last and will become David Carr by year 3 or 4. Sorry that is what happens why you gut a team.

Defense is vital, as is protecting the QB, which is why I suggested new young blood for the defense and experienced tackles and guards on the offense.

I realize it's a two edged sword but if the opponents score at will, the Colts offense will have that much more difficult a job and I have a feeling it's going to be difficult enough anyway.

Well.......we changed everything else we do. Our method of operation should likely follow suite and I fully expect an extremely aggressive FA pursuit in the coming weeks. With the advantage of knowing 100% of who our 1st rounder will be, we can plan accordingly. No way they draft Luck and fail to spend some of that 'Peyton money' on weapons for the kid to play with.

Defense is vital, as is protecting the QB, which is why I suggested new young blood for the defense and experienced tackles and guards on the offense.

I realize it's a two edged sword but if the opponents score at will, the Colts offense will have that much more difficult a job and I have a feeling it's going to be difficult enough anyway.

I agree. but our new QB has to be protected. Unfortunately, our owner has handcuffed the franchise and we are going to pay more than the going rate for FAs. We might have to builg through the draft for a few years.

Well.......we changed everything else we do. Our method of operation should likely follow suite and I fully expect an extremely aggressive FA pursuit in the coming weeks. With the advantage of knowing 100% of who our 1st rounder will be, we can plan accordingly. No way they draft Luck and fail to spend some of that 'Peyton money' on weapons for the kid to play with.

How do you get "aggressive" when you are stuck with 38 million in dead cap money. Peyton money is part of that dead cap money so how do you buy weapons with money that doesn't exist. Your roster is 53 people and you have a total of 120.6 million to play with. Take the 38 million off and you have you have less than 83 million to fund the entire roster.

We need to face the facts that we are looking at a second season with double digit losses and a young qb that could become the next David Carr. A year from now he could be in therapy for PTSD.

How do you get "aggressive" when you are stuck with 38 million in dead cap money. Peyton money is part of that dead cap money so how do you buy weapons with money that doesn't exist. Your roster is 53 people and you have a total of 120.6 million to play with. Take the 38 million off and you have you have less than 83 million to fund the entire roster.

We need to face the facts that we are looking at a second season with double digit losses and a young qb that could become the next David Carr. A year from now he could be in therapy for PTSD.

I should've been more clear. I apologize. I was referring to what would have been an obligation to pay Manning a ridiculous amount of money over the next 3-4 years. Not that Peyton wouldn't have been worth every penny, but now that money will be available to us over Luck's first few years.

With this money not being diverted to the goat, we can (and likely will) become players in the FA market. Something we've been disconnected from for soooo long as Polian's lust for UDFA's kept us wallowing in mediocrity..

I should've been more clear. I apologize. I was referring to what would have been an obligation to pay Manning a ridiculous amount of money over the next 3-4 years. Not that Peyton wouldn't have been worth every penny, but now that money will be available to us over Luck's first few years.

With this money not being diverted to the goat, we can (and likely will) become players in the FA market. Something we've been disconnected from for soooo long as Polian's lust for UDFA's kept us wallowing in mediocrity..

I am talking about 2012 only. We will have a bunch of money for 2013 and beyond, but fans that think we will be major players in free agency this year are deluding them selves.

As far as Polian is concerned, I do not call having the best record for a decade, tying the record number of playoff appearances in a row and appearing in two Super Bowls "wallowing in mediocrity." We were wallowing in mediocrity for the 15 years the Colts were in Indy before Polian arrived.

I am talking about 2012 only. We will have a bunch of money for 2013 and beyond, but fans that think we will be major players in free agency this year are deluding them selves.

We will make moves. The money will be there. We can't spend like the Eagles did, but we can make some moves and we will.

As far as Polian is concerned, I do not call having the best record for a decade, tying the record number of playoff appearances in a row and appearing in two Super Bowls "wallowing in mediocrity." We were wallowing in mediocrity for the 15 years the Colts were in Indy before Polian arrived.

I'm really not trying to have a debate about this.

I see all that regular season success, record playoff appearances and the best QB of all time to be mediocre in the face of all those '1 and dones'. Even our last SB was a mediocre performance by all. 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010.....all mediocre finishes in the face of due expectations.

CB's are where Polian really left his mark for under achievement in a specific core of the team. His philosophy for drafting for the secondary was dubious at best.

I'm not a Polian hater. The good far outweighs the bad in respect to his career as a whole, FAR outweighs. My only real issue with him was straddling the cap too tight while being seemingly incapable of working that FA market.