Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans TD

WoolMagnet

3 hours ago, ricker182 said:

I don't understand your point. It makes no difference who recovers once the ball is out.  

If the ball goes out of bounds on a fumble anywhere else on the field, the team that last possessed the ball retains possession.  

Fumbling out of bounds in the endzone should work the same way. Obviously you can't just award the touchdown, but the offense  shouldn't lose the ball.  

I don't understand the reasoning as to why the rule is applied differently there.  

I've always though it was a bad rule.

It's not my point. It is a NFL rule.

The End Zone is sacred ground to the defense. If you cross the goad line you have to have possession of the ball. If you fumble it you lose it. Simple.

I don't have a problem with the rule. Most all rules in place favor the offense and this one don't.

11 hours ago, indyman411 said:

The “ball just has to cross the goal line” rule is a joke. If a wr has to hold onto the ball to the ground for catch, then why doesn’t a player have to have control to the ground for a TD?  The NFL is contradicting itself IMO. 

Catching and having possession in the end zone are two different things.

If a receiver already has possession of the ball all he has to do is break the plane of the goal line for it to be a TD. Some goes for a RB.

16 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

During the game, I thought it was a TD. But a few hours ago I was looking at the play and it was definitely a touchback.

So with that in mind. I feel like that's the right call. If the call on the field is a TD and it takes you a day to think about it, maybe that means you go with the call on the field. 

I honestly believe New York told them to uphold the call because a shut out that early in the 4th qtr would  have been really bad for ratings, instead they kept the touchdown and the next 6 to 10 min had a bit of tension. It was close but I agree with most posters on here that he lost control of the ball right before he crossed the goal line.

5 minutes ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

I honestly believe New York told them to uphold the call because a shut out that early in the 4th qtr would  have been really bad for ratings, instead they kept the touchdown and the next 6 to 10 min had a bit of tension. It was close but I agree with most posters on here that he lost control of the ball right before he crossed the goal line.

I don't think New York saw enough to overturn the call on the field.

Ratings had nothing to do with it regardless.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think New York saw enough to overturn the call on the field.

Ratings had nothing to do with it regardless.

I think we have all seen a lot less get overturned. I believe it was close enough NY could have called it either way they really wanted. Honestly, it did make for better TV and the Colts won so I won't cry over it.

15 minutes ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

I confess conspiracy theories like the first bolded comment make my head go.....  :explode:

And the fact that most posters here think the receiver lost the ball before he crossed the goal line only tells me this is a website for Colts fans.

At the bar where I was and most fans were neutral...    no one around me that wasn't a legit touchdown.    The instant the nose of the ball touched the line, it was a legit score.    Only a Colts fans sees something else.     But that's the nature of fandom....

2 minutes ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

I think we have all seen a lot less get overturned. I believe it was close enough NY could have called it either way they really wanted. Honestly, it did make for better TV and the Colts won so I won't cry over it.

If you believe it was close enough that NY could have called it either way then they were not going to overturn the refs call on the field.

I think it was so close I have changed my mind a couple of different times.

All it ended up being was a garbage time TD. The Colts pretty much dominated the game. Even in the 2nd half the Colts used ball control and had no mistakes to let the Texans into the game.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you believe it was close enough that NY could have called it either way then they were not going to overturn the refs call on the field.

I think it was so close I have changed my mind a couple of different times.

All it ended up being was a garbage time TD. The Colts pretty much dominated the game. Even in the 2nd half the Colts used ball control and had no mistakes to let the Texans into the game.

I guess I am looking at it from the flip side too; if the call on the field would have been a touchback and challenged by the Texans I think NY would have overturned it and called it a TD. It's just a feeling of how the NFL plays out more often than not. Not saying games are rigged or anything overly crazy like that but the NFL is a business and closer games and ratings are more desirable than shutouts and garbage time, especially in primetime/playoff games. Like I said before we won and it kept me on the edge of my seat for a bit longer, now on to KC.

10 minutes ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

I guess I am looking at it from the flip side too; if the call on the field would have been a touchback and challenged by the Texans I think NY would have overturned it and called it a TD. It's just a feeling of how the NFL plays out more often than not. Not saying games are rigged or anything overly crazy like that but the NFL is a business and closer games and ratings are more desirable than shutouts and garbage time, especially in primetime/playoff games. Like I said before we won and it kept me on the edge of my seat for a bit longer, now on to KC.

Yep I agree. I don't let things concern me on that side of the game.

The game of football does not have perfection in it's reality.

I think it's has something to do with the shape of the ball used. :hat:

• Like 2