Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Classy To The End

Smonroe

I'm the first to admit that I've been hard on Irsay lately. I felt betrayed a bit.

But that was a classy presser, with both he and Peyton showing true emotion. I believed what Irsay was saying because I don't think he's that good of an actor.

I'll always be a Colt but wherever Peyton ends up will be my second favorite team. (I just hope it's not the Jets)

I'm the first to admit that I've been hard on Irsay lately. I felt betrayed a bit.

But that was a classy presser, with both he and Peyton showing true emotion. I believed what Irsay was saying because I don't think he's that good of an actor.

I'll always be a Colt but wherever Peyton ends up will be my second favorite team. (I just hope it's not the Jets)

Well said. Irsay is going to bear the brunt of fan anger, and I think that was by design. People accused him of wanting to be a rockstar owner or other foolishness, but what he did by making this publically his decision, is that he shielded his new GM and coaching staff from fan anger.

Ryan Grigson and Chuck Pagano are coming out of this very difficult situation essentially unscathed and that is what needed to happen for them to be successful. I honestly believe that through this entire ordeal Jim Irsay has not done anything that he did not think was in the best interests of the team even though it probably hurt him to have to do it.

That emotion was genuine on both their parts. I don't think either one wanted this to end but they both ultimately realized that it would be better for both of them to part ways. Manning can go to a team who has a legitimate chance to compete for a superbowl, and the Colts can immediately start the rebuilding process which has to happen if we want to stay competitive.

That doesn't make it hurt any less but in the end they both did what they thought had to be done. I just hope eventually the fans that stay come to understand that and won't hold this against Irsay forever because I don't think he wanted this any more than we did.

My wife called me from work so we could watch the press conference together

I think perhaps some certain basketball players should have taken notes from Peyton and Irsay on how to run a proper media conference

even if I hadn't watched the press conference I know what kind of person Peyton is, during the pre game this season when he was signing autographs I heard him say that he had to leave and was heading onto the field to talk with someone when I shouted to get his attention he saw that I had a Colts baby t shirt for my daughter in my hands and he stopped and headed back to sign it!

I'm not naive I'm sure that not all NFL players would stop in mid stride to do that, hope you win your next super bowl whereever you go Peyton wish it was with the Colts

#18 forever on the field and in our hearts

My wife called me from work so we could watch the press conference together

I think perhaps some certain basketball players should have taken notes from Peyton and Irsay on how to run a proper media conference

even if I hadn't watched the press conference I know what kind of person Peyton is, during the pre game this season when he was signing autographs I heard him say that he had to leave and was heading onto the field to talk with someone when I shouted to get his attention he saw that I had a Colts baby t shirt for my daughter in my hands and he stopped and headed back to sign it!

I'm not naive I'm sure that not all NFL players would stop in mid stride to do that, hope you win your next super bowl whereever you go Peyton wish it was with the Colts

#18 forever on the field and in our hearts

Darn, I just put that box of tissues away. Great story. Thanks.

http://www.colts.com...68-a3f7a6a5864f

Well here's a picture if you want a good chuckle!

I'm the guy in the striped colts hat between the blone and the guy there..Petyon went over to the other side before I could get right down to the field ..darn people blocking me!! LOL

My wife laughed at the picture cause she said I have crazy eyes like I'm going to knock everyone out of my way!!

November 13th vs Jacksonville

EDIT: didn't link to the specific picture....the picture I'm talking about should be the 6th one down the line :)

Well said. Irsay is going to bear the brunt of fan anger, and I think that was by design. People accused him of wanting to be a rockstar owner or other foolishness, but what he did by making this publically his decision, is that he shielded his new GM and coaching staff from fan anger.

Ryan Grigson and Chuck Pagano are coming out of this very difficult situation essentially unscathed and that is what needed to happen for them to be successful. I honestly believe that through this entire ordeal Jim Irsay has not done anything that he did not think was in the best interests of the team even though it probably hurt him to have to do it.

That emotion was genuine on both their parts. I don't think either one wanted this to end but they both ultimately realized that it would be better for both of them to part ways. Manning can go to a team who has a legitimate chance to compete for a superbowl, and the Colts can immediately start the rebuilding process which has to happen if we want to stay competitive.

That doesn't make it hurt any less but in the end they both did what they thought had to be done. I just hope eventually the fans that stay come to understand that and won't hold this against Irsay forever because I don't think he wanted this any more than we did.

Under the circumstances, Irsay did what he had to do for the franchise and its future, and to let Peyton do what was best for him. They are obviously very close, and if there was a better solution, they would have chosen it over this one, no doubt. There was no anger, no animosity, nothing from Peyton like, I'm gonna join a new team and come back to kick your butt type quotes, it was all very classy. I'm more proud to be a Colts fan today than ever before.

Under the circumstances, Irsay did what he had to do for the franchise and its future, and to let Peyton do what was best for him. They are obviously very close, and if there was a better solution, they would have chosen it over this one, no doubt. There was no anger, no animosity, nothing from Peyton like, I'm gonna join a new team and come back to kick your butt type quotes, it was all very classy. I'm more proud to be a Colts fan today than ever before.

Yep. I was very proud of how both men handled themselves through what had to be one of the most difficult situations they've ever had to make.

Yea it would be pretty hard for me as well to root for the Jets being a colts fan and living in NY :coltsfb:

Cant say enough good about him. We took our HS team to colts training camp one year and at the end of the session Peyton spent about 30 minutes working out on his own. Then he looked over and saw our team assembling to leave and jogged over. We had no idea this would happen, he did not know us from applebutter.

PEYTON spent over 30 minutes talking to these young men (this was a small bad football team) asking questions and giving advice. I will never forget his warmth, humor and absolute love of the game and all who played it.

This man will be missed more than we can ever imagine because of moments like this that he repeated on a daily basis.

http://www.colts.com...68-a3f7a6a5864f

Well here's a picture if you want a good chuckle!

I'm the guy in the striped colts hat between the blone and the guy there..Petyon went over to the other side before I could get right down to the field ..darn people blocking me!! LOL

My wife laughed at the picture cause she said I have crazy eyes like I'm going to knock everyone out of my way!!

November 13th vs Jacksonville

EDIT: didn't link to the specific picture....the picture I'm talking about should be the 6th one down the line :)

Holy cow that lady in that pic has her stuff out there for everyone to see, wow lol.

I've been mad at him for some of his buffoonery. I did not want to see the events transpire the way they did, but really what can you do? I've said it before that both guys, Peyton and Luck, would not be on the same team, and that it wouldn't be fair to either guy. For me though, I figured we could do a trade the pick move and keep on keepin' on. But alas......

Luck will be a good QB.

And Irsay did handle the conference in a classy way....although what other way could he have handled it?

But I will be rooting for Peyton on his separate team and the Colts equally from here on out. Certain fans can say 'good riddance, bandwagon fan' all they want. Peyton made me a Colts fan, I am now a fan of both.