Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colt vs. Bengsl OL

Archer

Of the ridiculousness I’ve been reading about the upcoming game, the silliest is the common notion that CIN has a big advantage on both sides of the line.  I think we have a clear advanage on the OL.  I go position by position:

LT: AC and Cordy Glenn are both league average kind of LTs at this point in their careers.  EVEN

LG:  Clint Boling is an average LG, and QN is a generational prospect in his rookie year.  Sorry, the PC thing is to point out that he hasn’t played a meaningful snap, but realistically BIG ADVANTAGE COLTS

C: Both 1st round centers, but ours is going into his 3rd year and theirs is going into his 1st game.  Expect Kelly to look more like the end of his rookie year than any of the injured games he played last year.  He was a better prospect than Price coming out, also.  ADVANTAGE COLTS

RG:  Alex Redmond, a Colt cast-off from the days where we had noone starts for CIN, much to Bengal fans’ chagrin.  Slauson has been a pleasant surprise.  ADVANTAGE COLTS 

RT:  Haeg (I guess) vs. Hart.  Both teams’ fans are scared about the RTs.  We’ll call it EVEN 

So, I came up with three positions for the Colts and two draws.  Only thing I could have done differently was give the Bengals the LT position based upon AC’ s current injury.  But I think he’ll be fine Sunday...

I agree - their OL and pass protection is their weakness but do we have the horses to take advantage of it? The best way we can do it is if we make their offense more one-dimensional by getting to a lead, and that falls back in the hands of our offense, IMO.

I think it's more about how their DL is much better than ours. Thus, our OL is gonna struggle against their pass rush more than they will against ours.

The right side of their OL is pretty weak though. Hopefully we can manage to generate some semblance of a pass rush against it, otherwise it'll be tough to stop them.

• Like 2

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think it's more about how their DL is much better than ours. Thus, our OL is gonna struggle against their pass rush more than they will against ours.

EXACTLY.  This is a nice thread and all but unless the CIN OL is going up against Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap that it really doesn't make too much of a difference if they have a better or worse OL than us.

4 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

The right side of their OL is pretty weak though. Hopefully we can manage to generate some semblance of a pass rush against it, otherwise it'll be tough to stop them.

Agree. I was hoping we could get Dunlap in free agency but the Bengals re-signed him

24 minutes ago, Archer said:

Of the ridiculousness I’ve been reading about the upcoming game, the silliest is the common notion that CIN has a big advantage on both sides of the line.  I think we have a clear advanage on the OL.  I go position by position:

LT: AC and Cordy Glenn are both league average kind of LTs at this point in their careers.  EVEN

LG:  Clint Boling is an average LG, and QN is a generational prospect in his rookie year.  Sorry, the PC thing is to point out that he hasn’t played a meaningful snap, but realistically BIG ADVANTAGE COLTS

C: Both 1st round centers, but ours is going into his 3rd year and theirs is going into his 1st game.  Expect Kelly to look more like the end of his rookie year than any of the injured games he played last year.  He was a better prospect than Price coming out, also.  ADVANTAGE COLTS

RG:  Alex Redmond, a Colt cast-off from the days where we had noone starts for CIN, much to Bengal fans’ chagrin.  Slauson has been a pleasant surprise.  ADVANTAGE COLTS 

RT:  Haeg (I guess) vs. Hart.  Both teams’ fans are scared about the RTs.  We’ll call it EVEN 

So, I came up with three positions for the Colts and two draws.  Only thing I could have done differently was give the Bengals the LT position based upon AC’ s current injury.  But I think he’ll be fine Sunday...

Our OL is not going up against their OL.

Their DL & any blitzers will probably get the best of our OL.

I think the point is that their DL can probably beat our OL, and their OL can probably handle our DL. Not much we can do about our pass rush, besides scheming some pressure and mostly, hoping guys can beat blockers.

But I've been saying for six years that the single biggest thing that can help the pass protection is gameplanning and play calling. It's not a foregone conclusion that a challenged offensive line has to give up a bunch of pressures and sacks. 

Very true, but I think our DL has a pretty good chance against their OL.  I wouldn’t give their OL some kind of automatic victory.  I think Kemoko, Ridgeway, Autry, and Sheard are all capable of dialing up some pressure against a pretty bad line.  Heck, for that matter, I think that our OL can slow down Autry...and their DEs are good, but not unstoppable forces.  I think the trench game will be a hotly contested back and forth...