Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Ostman

This is my last ditch effort to persuade my fellow Colts fan. That this is our guy.

He's projected 5th or 6th round. He's not tall. He's 263lbs now. His pro day numbers are better than Chubbs. He's a sack artist. Most likely average against the run. He's strong, 31 reps. 36" vertical. Over 10ft. broad jump. He's one of the quickest off the ball. 

We have Sheard, Bashem, Simon and Anderson right now as our DE. With the new scheme we really don't know what we are getting with those 4. When we pick at 6, and if Chubb is available. I hope we trade down or go another direction. Cause Ostman should be available with our 5th round pick. Definitely with our 4th round. Depending how the draft plays out. 

He's not going to start this year, but I could see him getting 6 sacks in limited action, and make immediate impact on ST.

Look him up, review his numbers. Hopefully I convinced some of you.

21 minutes ago, krunk said:

Ostman is barely coming off the lips of anyone. Its one thing to like him but when you start projecting him as better value than Chubb I got a problem.

No, I'm not trying to say he's better than Chubb. We can get someone else at 6. Ostman is just pass rush. Chubb can do it all. He's NFL networks sleeper atm, for edge rushers.

27 minutes ago, krunk said:

Trade down and miss the best pass rusher in the draft so we can take Ostman in the 6th round? Get off the sauce, your man crush is too hard!

I think Chubb got too much help at NC ST. Would rather get someone who didn't get help.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matabix said:

No, I'm not trying to say he's better than Chubb. We can get someone else at 6. Ostman is just pass rush. Chubb can do it all. He's NFL networks sleeper atm, for edge rushers.

Do you think at #6 Ballard has anybody else on his board rated higher than Chubb?  I'd bet he probably would not.

Just now, Matabix said:

I think Chubb got too much help at NC ST. Would rather get someone who didn't get help.

Got help from who?  You're talking like there were first and second rounders all along that line.  There's nothing super about Hill and Street.  Both mid to lower round picks.

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

This is my last ditch effort to persuade my fellow Colts fan. That this is our guy.

He's projected 5th or 6th round. He's not tall. He's 263lbs now. His pro day numbers are better than Chubbs. He's a sack artist. Most likely average against the run. He's strong, 31 reps. 36" vertical. Over 10ft. broad jump. He's one of the quickest off the ball. 

We have Sheard, Bashem, Simon and Anderson right now as our DE. With the new scheme we really don't know what we are getting with those 4. When we pick at 6, and if Chubb is available. I hope we trade down or go another direction. Cause Ostman should be available with our 5th round pick. Definitely with our 4th round. Depending how the draft plays out. 

He's not going to start this year, but I could see him getting 6 sacks in limited action, and make immediate impact on ST.

You had me on board right up until the bold statement.  No reason to pass on arguably the best D player in the draft to take a chance/flyer on a 5th/6th rounder. You could still take Chubb at 6 and still draft your guy in the 5/6th. 

Just now, csmopar said:

You had me on board right up until the bold statement.  No reason to pass on arguably the best D player in the draft to take a chance/flyer on a 5th/6th rounder. You could still take Chubb at 6 and still draft your guy in the 5/6th. 

My point on that is if, Barkley, Nelson, Chubb, or Smith is there. Going with the other 3, rather than Chubb.

7 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Got 2 sacks against Josh Allen.

Allen plays for Wyoming who again is nobody.  Everyone knows Allen was under pressure all year and had no receiving targets.   What's impressive about that?

1 minute ago, Matabix said:

My point on that is if, Barkley, Nelson, Chubb, or Smith is there. Going with the other 3, rather than Chubb.

i get that. I'm just saying you don't base your decision to pass a 1st round player on the potential of a 6th rounder is all im saying

• Like 1

Just now, krunk said:

Allen plays for Wyoming who again is nobody.  Everyone knows Allen was under pressure all year and had no receiving targets.   What's impressive about that?

19 drop backs, 2 sacks by Ostman. Have you even looked at this guy or does your mock stop at #6.

4 minutes ago, Matabix said:

19 drop backs, 2 sacks by Ostman. Have you even looked at this guy or does your mock stop at #6.

Is Wyomings line good?   Are they top tier competition?

My point is no different than Cmospar.   I'm not saying Ostman isnt a good player but I think you put too much sauce on your spin.  That's pretty much it.

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

I think your expectations are WAY too high. Over the last 10 yrs, 1st round pass rushers have averaged just over 4 sacks in their rookie season. Saying you expect a player expected to be a day 3 pick to produce like an above average 1st rounder is very ambitious, like "steal of the decade" ambitious. 

He could be a good valued pick in day 3, but there is a reason he is ranked that low. His chances of contributing as much as you expect are VERY slim. 

I like Ostman as a late round guy.  I certainly wouldn’t pass up Chubb because he’s available later, but if Chubb is gone at 6 (which I now believe is probable), I might use a 6th rounder on Ostman.  He kinda reminds me of Ninkovich (one of the only Patriots I truly respected).  He works hard and gets it done in a blue-collar way...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Alot of ppl think I'm comparing the 2, not trying to do that.

right, but when i said earlier that you can't pass on a 1st round talent based on a 5/6th round project player, you agreed, you then said he (ostman) can be.  You can't have it both ways my friend

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Matabix said:

If the Colts are 50/50 on either Chubb or Nelson. I'm saying someone like Ostman can break that tie.

If the Colts have the same grade on Chubb and Nelson, the possibility of drafting Ostman in a later round is not going to break that tie.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

Here's his scouting report from NFL.com

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/joe-ostman?id=32462018-0002-5599-928f-c793f3f37d84

I really like the upside he seems to have, especially late in the draft. Good find, Matabix!

He is built alot like Freeney, and in a 4-3 that worked very well. He could be a great late rd pick. Who knows we could end up with mathis and freeney teaching the yound DEs this year