Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

UKColt's Mock Draft 2.0

#1 - CLE - Sam Darnold - QB - USC - The obvious pick. It's basically already written.

#2 - NYG - Saquon Barkley - RB - Penn St. - No QB left in the class is worth passing on an elite playmaker like Barkley. Gives the Giants the best RB they've had since Tiki Barber to help take the load off of Eli Manning as he slowly walks into the sunset. They'll take a QB soon but not here.

#3 - NYJ - Josh Rosen - QB - UCLA - The Jets traded up for nothing else but their QB of the future. QB2 comes off the board here.

#4 - CLE - Bradley Chubb - DE - NC State - The Browns got their QB and take the best prospect on the board that makes sense. Bitonio and Zeitler rule the roost on their Oline so Nelson doesn't make sense. Chubb comes in as the bookend to Myles Garrett to form a fearsome pass rush duo.

#5 - DEN - Quenton Nelson - OG - Notre Dame - The Broncos spent big money on Case Keenum in the offseason, neither of the top QBs left on the board are likely to top him. Nelson fortifies a leaky offensive line that will help Keenum replicate his Minnesota success of last year.  

#6 - TRADE UP - BUF - Baker Mayfield - QB - Oklahoma - Buffalo trade up to ensure the QB of their choice ends up in Buffalo. Mayfield is an ultra-competitive QB with an edge to his game. The prospect of a Johnny Manziel without the addiction issues is a tantalising one. They give up their extra 1st round pick and run away with their QB. They still have several picks in the first 3 rounds so they don't feel much pain giving up the pick. The Colts happily move back since the 3 blue chips are off the board.

IND                  BUF

#6                    #12

1600                1980

Colts Draft

1st Round #12 - Josh Jackson - CB - Iowa - 6'1 192lbs - The Colts are paper thin in the secondary, especially at corner. Jackson is a versatile ballhawk of a cornerback. He is only a one year starter but had some mind-blowing stats, with 27 passes defended including eight interceptions in just 14 starts. He's a big game player with top level instincts. He's still learning but his ceiling is the highest of any CB in the draft thanks to his strong physical attributes (38in Vert at Combine, 4.52 40 on Pro Day). He's received a lot of praise for his strong worth ethic and commitment to his development. Jackson has the size that Ballard saw in Quincy Wilson and makes a worthy CB2 in Eberflus's new look defense.

1st Round #22 - Leighton Vander Esche - ILB - Boise St. - 6'4 256lbs - LVE is a massive ILB with outstanding athletic ability. Eberflus's defense requires speed from its LBs to cover sideline to sideline, and LVE has it in spades. He's a fluid athlete with elite agility and lateral movement that aids his outstanding coverage skills. Shows high level instincts when it comes to blitzing. He has the athletic ability to rush from the edge if needed. He needs to learn to use his hands more effectively which will help him become a better run defender when it comes to shedding blocks, and he could stand to raise his play strength to the same end. He comes in to be the centre of our defense at MLB.

2nd Round #36 - Sam Hubbard - DE - Ohio State - 6'5 265lbs - Hubbard will pass the eyeball test with his height, weight, and build, but he's missing the elite athleticism to take him over the top as a pass rusher, hence his fall out of the first. He wins more based on effort and motor rather than speed and agility around the arc. He's an intelligent player who uses his head and instincts to diagnose plays well. Anchors well against the run and sets a good edge. Shows an effective spin move to counter inside when his outside rush stalls. Finishes well as a tackler. Effective on Tackle/End twists. He slots in at DE opposite Jabaal Sheard.

2nd Round #37 - Isaiah Wynn - OG - Georgia - 6'3 313lbs - Strong, athletic and technically sound blocker. Wynn largely played LT in Athens, his future is at Guard but he does have the flexibility to move back in an injury situation. He has the mean demeanour that offensive line coaches look for especially on the interior. Has the footwork and strength in his hands to be effective in pass protection. He's an effective move and base blocker. Quick to respond to twists and stunts. Finishes blocks well and plays to the whistle. Instant starter at one of the Guard spots.

2nd Round #49 - Equanimeous St. Brown - WR - Notre Dame - 6'5 213lbs - St. Brown is a massive target with good athletic attributes (4.48 40, 20 reps on the bench at the combine). He wasn't a volume target in college but could be a valuable downfield weapon for an offense. He is a willing worker between the numbers and can play both outside and inside. He's a long strider who builds speed as he moves downfield to run away from less athletic CBs. Good hands with very few focus drops. Questions have been asked about his level of competitiveness and needs to play with more consistent urgency. Needs work on his route running and may have a limited route tree to start with. Here's hoping he can become the competent number 2 to TY we thought we had when we got Moncreif.

3rd Round #67 - Bryan O'Neill - OT - Pittsburgh - 6'7 297lbs - Talented, classic zone scheme Tackle. O'Neill had a horror show of a Senior Bowl and didn't look comfortable at all in the drills, showing panic and loss of technique. At this point he's a developmental Tackle with room to be a swing backup and eventually head into a starting role. Technique wise he is solid but inconsistent. When he's on he shows a good kickslide and high level movement skills to mirror rushers around the arc. He needs to build on his frame and add more functional strength. With the help of a good offensive line coach and a quality veteran Tackle like Castonzo, he could take a year to learn whilst he spends some time in the cafeteria and weight room.

4th Round #104 - Antonio Callaway - WR - Florida - 5'11 197lbs - Immensely talented but intensely troubled. Top level deep speed (4.41 40). Energetic and explosive in his routes with choppy footwork to create separation from man coverage. Watching his tape I couldn't help but be reminded of Chad Johnson's footwork. Although with that energy, he needs to make sure his routes don't become hurried. Gave Minkah Fitzpatrick fits in the 2016 SEC Title Game. Hands have been inconsistent in the past. Could be a terrific slot receiver. Electric returner on special teams. Now for the down side, his off the field history is undeniable. He faced a sexual assault trial between his freshman and sophomore year but was cleared of those charges before the 2016 season by admitting during the hearing he was so high he couldn't have possibly 'performed'. He was also cited for marijuana possession in May 2017 as a passenger in a car stopped because the driver wasn't wearing his seat belt; he pled no contest to possession of paraphernalia in July 2017. He never played in 2017 because of his involvement in a credit card fraud scheme with other teammates. Instead of looking for reinstatement or a transfer, he decided to declare. According to staff at Florida he was universally liked but not trusted. Scouts have said getting him out of Miami and away from his old crew will allow him to leave his past behind him. Seeing the likes of Antonio Brown reach out to him on Twitter recently is encouraging. Consider him the Tyreek Hill-style flier.

5th Round #140 - John Kelly - RB - Tennessee - 5’10 216lbs - Kelly is a little undersized, but is a tough runner with 3rd down value as both a pass catcher and a blocker. I think the Matt Jones situation is real and Ballard has kept him around for a reason. That’s why I think we hold off on taking a RB until the later rounds. Kelly will get the tough yardage on the ground but doesn’t have the vision and awareness to be let loose as a 3 down starter as yet.  He is a route one banger who can compete with Matt Jones and Turbin for early down work. If he can work on his vision and gain more lane awareness, then he could be a good contributor on offense

6th Round #178 - Shaquem Griffin - WLB - Central Florida - 6’1 227lbs - You may know him from such exclamations as "Wow, he only has one hand!" and "Good for him for just competing". Let’s be real, if he had a left hand he’d be a top 60 pick. He has shown throughout college that he can play. Read this great quote from an NFL scouting director, “The old staff signed him just to make sure they got his brother. The new staff realized the guy was a player and plugged him in and he wins Defensive Player of the Year in his conference.”. He has never asked for any quarter, and offers absolutely none in return. He’s got decent size but outstanding athletics (4.38 40 at the combine). He plays smart in coverage with 13 passes defended on 42 career targets. If he can show that his lack of digits doesn’t hinder his tackling at the next level we could have a nice piece on the weakside next to LVE.

7th Round #221 - Cole Madison - OG - Washington St. - 6’5 305lbs - Madison played RT this last year but will likely be moved inside due to his athletic limitations at the next level. Washington St.’s offense is based around quick fire strikes so he doesn’t have as much experience when it comes to sustaining pass protection blocks for extended periods of time.  It also doesn’t provide offensive linemen a chance to fire off the ball and open running lanes. It’s all about spacing which asks the blockers to use angles and position. However, Madison does show a nasty streak and will keep his legs driving once engaged. This lack of pro-style experience drops him here. If he can adjust his game to the NFL style then he could offer good late round value as a backup or spot starter if/when Vujnovich continues to suck. Whilst he isn’t fluid enough for Tackle at the next level, he could be a good candidate for a team wanting more athletic Guard play. 

Summary:

In summary we now have a solid and youthful 1,2 & 3 at CB. We have the MLB we’ve needed for years. A solid bookend DE opposite Sheard. A solid, mean starting Guard. A big bodied target for Luck to play with. A raw but high ceiling athlete at Tackle. A young but extremely talented playmaker for TY to take under his wing. An interior banger to challenge for playing time in the backfield. A young linebacker thirsty to prove himself to be more than just a good story, and an intriguing challenger for playing time along the interior line.

Not too bad for year 1 of the new build. 

I think QBs are going to go 1, 2, and 3. I don't think the Giants are taking Barkley at 2.  Giants may even trade out of that spot on draft day and give the pick to another team that's looking for a QB. In either case I think that #2 pick will be a QB.

I think it's a very interesting mock up and down the list...   except one spot jumps out as just....     wrong.

And, I'm sorry,  but that's Jackson at 12.      If Ballard did that I'd seriously question him.    I'd projecticle vomit my displeasure across a room.  

I don't hate Jackson...     He's a very good player.    But not at 12.    Maybe about 10-12 picks or so later in the draft.

I'd be thrilled to get him with our picks at the top of the 2nd.     I'd be fine getting him at 22 if we did a deal with the Bills.

But 12?     No.    He's got skill and the tape to back it up.    But whether his ability translates to the NFL is another question.    And his combine was very disappointing,  especially the on the field drills.    He looked brand new to football,  like he had never done DB drills in his life.     Is that a bad thing,  or could it be a good thing that he has played so well despite not being prepared very well?     Dunno.

But 12?      No.     Way, WAY too soon.     Sometime at 17 or preferably later...

• Like 1

Not a fan of your 1st round trade down or 1st round picks. Ballard could hopefully get more than just 12 and 22 for 6, and I don’t see all of Barkley, Chubb, and Nelson going top 5. If both Allen and Mayfield were available at 6, Ballard should be able to get a haul for that 6th pick. 

1 hour ago, DownHillRunner said:

I’m not a fan of Josh Jackson to be honest. He didn’t have a very good Combine and that’s a reach at 12 for him. 

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Not a fan of Josh Jackson at 12. Too much of a reach. Switch it for Roquan or Landry and it would be a great haul.

Josh Jackson would be an amazing CB in our scheme, but I agree a reach at 12. I'd much rather have Roquan Smith at 12.

I'm also not a fan of St. Brown, especially that high. He's big, fast, and can run decent routes. He's also a body catcher and doesn't do well attacking jump balls. I feel like he could be Moncrief all over again.. I'd much rather draft a guy like Dante Pettis in the 3rd and for a tall WR, Jaleel Scott in the 6th or so.

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Not a fan of your 1st round trade down or 1st round picks. Ballard could hopefully get more than just 12 and 22 for 6, and I don’t see all of Barkley, Chubb, and Nelson going top 5. If both Allen and Mayfield were available at 6, Ballard should be able to get a haul for that 6th pick. 

Amen. 

A few thoughts

I actually think that Josh Jackson would be a perfect fit for a cover 2.

But, believe that in this mock, he may be available at 22.(Or even round 2)

He is VERY scheme dependent due to his lack of speed........

I love the Wynn pick (Hope he is there at that spot)

I dont like Hubbard for the Colts ....... and I am an ENORMOUS Buckeye fan....... And I say NO!

I would say he may not be able to beat out a combination of Sheard/Basham

He had trouble making the starting lineup at Ohio State.........  WHY would we think he could be a

star in the NFL

Thanks for posting the mock