Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning And Reggie Wayne Signing As Package?

Evan

If it looks like Manning will be healthy, if I am the Colts, no way I just simply release him, even if I have decided that I want to go forward with Luck. I would find a way to retain the rights to Manning, then trade him so that the team gets some value in return for the greatest QB of all time. Seems like a waste to simply let him go.

Look at what teams have given up in the past for quality, aging QBs. Even just last year, the Raiders gave up a boat load for Carson Palmer. If Manning is healthy, he offers up 3 to 4 more years of elite QB play. That is worth a LOT! You simply do not just give that up.

If I were Irsay, I would stand by the mantra that I will find a way to restructure Manning's contract so that he is retained. If he proves that he is indeed healthy, then I either keep him and sit Luck, or I trade Manning for a couple of premium draft picks or for a key young player that fills a need.

There is absolutely NO way I let a healthy Peyton Manning simply walk away from the Colts without the Colts getting something of value in return.

If it looks like Manning will be healthy, if I am the Colts, no way I just simply release him, even if I have decided that I want to go forward with Luck. I would find a way to retain the rights to Manning, then trade him so that the team gets some value in return for the greatest QB of all time. Seems like a waste to simply let him go.

Look at what teams have given up in the past for quality, aging QBs. Even just last year, the Raiders gave up a boat load for Carson Palmer. If Manning is healthy, he offers up 3 to 4 more years of elite QB play. That is worth a LOT! You simply do not just give that up.

If I were Irsay, I would stand by the mantra that I will find a way to restructure Manning's contract so that he is retained. If he proves that he is indeed healthy, then I either keep him and sit Luck, or I trade Manning for a couple of premium draft picks or for a key young player that fills a need.

There is absolutely NO way I let a healthy Peyton Manning simply walk away from the Colts without the Colts getting something of value in return.

That would be a good idea, if it weren't for the fact that by simply signing him and trading him, we are forced to 'eat' 30+ million dollars of cap space, for a guy that won't be playing for us. I would totally agree with you if it weren't for that fact.

This cap business is some serious stuff when you look at it.

If they let him go they not only get nothing but they still have a cap hit to pay for. Hopefully both sides will be reasonable and get the job done to keep PM in the fold.

That would be a good idea, if it weren't for the fact that by simply signing him and trading him, we are forced to 'eat' 30+ million dollars of cap space, for a guy that won't be playing for us. I would totally agree with you if it weren't for that fact.

This cap business is some serious stuff when you look at it.

I remember reading somewhere the cap hit is more like $10 million.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe that's if we just outright release him. Right now he is essentially a free agent, and we have the option to pick up his contract. If we do pick it up, that changes the whole dynamic of what happens in a trade/release situation. That is how we would be forced to eat what I believe is around 38 million in a trade situation.

That would be an interesting combo. Manning picking Crenell's brain about the defense that gave him trouble early in his career.

Crennel would just say "It was nothing special, you Colts could not run the football and I played pass all the time; Brady's team can but not you guys, haha"

Don't quote me on this, but I believe that's if we just outright release him. Right now he is essentially a free agent, and we have the option to pick up his contract. If we do pick it up, that changes the whole dynamic of what happens in a trade/release situation. That is how we would be forced to eat what I believe is around 38 million in a trade situation.

The 38.4 million dollar dead space cap hit would be dependent on one of two things and would would be preceded by picking up his 28 million option bonus.

• The 38.4 cap hit would occur if he were traded.(which eliminates trade scenarios)
  • The 38.4 cap hit would occur if he were released prior to 6/1/12.

If we do not pick up the option bonus, he's a free agent and his dead cap space hit would be 10.4

If we pay the option bonus it does not become feasible at all to move him from the roster until 2014 at the earliest and that would still take a perfect mix of circumstances to make it realistic.

First thread! Sorry if this is old. I just found this today while in yahoo sports. Could this be the reason why garcon turned down the 5 year contract?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/NFLDRAFT-scoop-du-jour/peyton-manning-reggie-wayne-signing-package-112158192.html;_ylt=AgVvE8RTp7fUHOQhCI4Sl6FDubYF

He didn't turn down anything because he hasn't been presented a deal yet.

Adam Shifty isnt even a poster here and he causes more damage then MCD.