Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Scouting

I'm posting this because I hope someone, or several of you, may know the answer.  Is our current Scouting Department basically the same group of scouts we've had for several years?  Or, was the Scouting Department completely revamped when Ballard took over last year?

I'm just curious, because we all know there have been some big busts in our draft during the Grigson years, and I wonder if any of the scouts are still around from the years we picked Dorsett, Werner, etc.  I know that Scouts don't make the actual picks, but I would assume their input is valuable to the GM in preparation for the draft.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I know we're not the only franchise to have had 1st Round busts.  I'm hoping whoever we draft int he 1st round is a long-term, productive Colt.

15 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I'm posting this because I hope someone, or several of you, may know the answer.  Is our current Scouting Department basically the same group of scouts we've had for several years?  Or, was the Scouting Department completely revamped when Ballard took over last year?

I'm just curious, because we all know there have been some big busts in our draft during the Grigson years, and I wonder if any of the scouts are still around from the years we picked Dorsett, Werner, etc.  I know that Scouts don't make the actual picks, but I would assume their input is valuable to the GM in preparation for the draft.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I know we're not the only franchise to have had 1st Round busts.  I'm hoping whoever we draft int he 1st round is a long-term, productive Colt.

A lot of the scouts are the same guys, but a good chunk of those guys were around in the Polian era. The big changes that were made were changes to the mid level/ high level guys. Our 2 VPs of player personnel are new, as are our Director of College Scouting and our College Scouting Coordinating. 

Seeing as some of these old scouts have had good years under Polian and bad years under Grigson, I think its more about the way their higher ups are using their skills, and I expect Ballard and his new hires to do that effectively. 

For reference here is the colts staff listing, with links to each scouts profile. 

http://www.colts.com/team/staff.html

26 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

A lot of the scouts are the same guys, but a good chunk of those guys were around in the Polian era. The big changes that were made were changes to the mid level/ high level guys. Our 2 VPs of player personnel are new, as are our Director of College Scouting and our College Scouting Coordinating. 

Seeing as some of these old scouts have had good years under Polian and bad years under Grigson, I think its more about the way their higher ups are using their skills, and I expect Ballard and his new hires to do that effectively. 

For reference here is the colts staff listing, with links to each scouts profile. 

http://www.colts.com/team/staff.html

There were reports year before Grigs was fired of him not LISTENING to his scouts and thinking he was smarter than any of them.  I don't know if that is true or not, but I dont think we have enough information yet to see how Ballard will use them differently than Grigson or Polian

5 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Thanks in advance.

I thought a bunch of people where let go right after Ballard's first draft and that was typical when a change in GM's happened.

Where those people not scouts?