Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Quinn traded to Miami for a Mid Round Pick

A great player like Quinn going for mid round swaps.  I would have been all over that.  That's how you take advantage of teams that need cap space.  Landry shouldn't cost much either.  Maybe we could pry Lawrence away from the Cowboys.  There has to be other top shelf talent available from these cap starved teams.  

Looks like the Dolphins are going to have to make some other moves.  Landry definitely has to move after acquiring Quinn.  Their starting RT Juwan James should be an easy target as well as his cap hit is 9M.  Come on Chris get them both in a package deal.  They have to open up cap space. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Looks like the Dolphins are going to have to make some other moves.  Landry definitely has to move after acquiring Quinn.  Their starting RT Juwan James should be an easy target as well as his cap hit is 9M.  Come on Chris get them both in a package deal.  They have to open up cap space. 

Good idea.

But let's NOT take either after they are cut.

16 hours ago, richard pallo said:

A great player like Quinn going for mid round swaps.  I would have been all over that.  That's how you take advantage of teams that need cap space.  Landry shouldn't cost much either.  Maybe we could pry Lawrence away from the Cowboys.  There has to be other top shelf talent available from these cap starved teams.  

Landry shouldn't cost much?  The tag value is around 16mil for the year and you would almost certainly have a contract in place making a trade.  That contract would have to be around at least 3yr/45 mil based on Landry's demands.  No thank you to that.  Lawrence is not leaving Dallas.  They are trying to get a deal done and have already said if no deal is place by the deadline they are going to tag him.

wth Ballard. Here's your established DE that teams don't let leave. Perfect opportunity to leverage that cap space as well. 

I sort of understood not going after Peters, given the issues he has had, but if this was nothing more than a mid-round pick swap, there was virtually no downside and I am very disappointed that the Colts didn't get in on this. 

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Landry shouldn't cost much?  The tag value is around 16mil for the year and you would almost certainly have a contract in place making a trade.  That contract would have to be around at least 3yr/45 mil based on Landry's demands.  No thank you to that.  Lawrence is not leaving Dallas.  They are trying to get a deal done and have already said if no deal is place by the deadline they are going to tag him.

I was referring to the fact that Landry won't cost much in a trade.  These star players are moving for mid round picks.  And Miami is desperate to move him. If he signs the tag and stays that means the Dolphins would probably release Suh.  Not sure they want to do that. Landry's demands are just that.  That doesn't mean he's going to get it.  That said Ballard said he won't overpay for mid level talent and Landry is way above mid level talent. We have the space so Ballard has the resources if he wants to do it.  But I doubt the contract will be a rich one.  Probably with a lot of incentives.  I don't think Lawrence is going anywhere either but these teams with little cap space have to do something. I never thought Quinn would be given away either. 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

wth Ballard. Here's your established DE that teams don't let leave. Perfect opportunity to leverage that cap space as well. 

I sort of understood not going after Peters, given the issues he has had, but if this was nothing more than a mid-round pick swap, there was virtually no downside and I am very disappointed that the Colts didn't get in on this. 

There was. You waste a pick on a player who has a concerning injury history. Quinn isn't what he once was.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I was referring to the fact that Landry won't cost much in a trade.  These star players are moving for mid round picks.  And Miami is desperate to move him. If he signs the tag and stays that means the Dolphins would probably release Suh.  Not sure they want to do that. Landry's demands are just that.  That doesn't mean he's going to get it.  That said Ballard said he won't overpay for mid level talent and Landry is way above mid level talent. We have the space so Ballard has the resources if he wants to do it.  But I doubt the contract will be a rich one.  Probably with a lot of incentives.  I don't think Lawrence is going anywhere either but these teams with little cap space have to do something. I never thought Quinn would be given away either. 

Lawrence isn't going t leave. That's not surprising. Rams fans expected it to happen too. 

31 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

There was. You waste a pick on a player who has a concerning injury history. Quinn isn't what he once was.

It was a 4th round pick. Ballard wasted one of those this past draft. And with the early picks he has, he would have no problem getting another 4th round pick in a draft day trade.

Yes Quinn hasn't been healthy for a couple seasons. But he started to come on late season, which could imply he was finally getting healthy. Overall, he was an 8.5 sack guy last season. The Colts don't have anybody that can do that...they only had one guy with more than 3 (Sheard had 5.5).

If Quinn is done, then all you are out is some cap space next season and 4th round pick (you can cut him with minimal dead cap space). But if he is finally healthy, you end up with a 27 year-old 10-sack player for at least two years. And he is tailor-made for the 4-3 defense you are getting ready to run.