Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Track Guy Pre Combine Mock

Thoughts on our defense:

As I understand it, we’re switching to a base 4-3 defensive scheme… We have some 3-4 type players on the roster, who I would be concerned about their value dropping (John Simon, Henry Anderson, and Margus Hunt) one of which I actually trade away in this mock.

I think there’s always a strong case - and if anything even stronger when you run a 4-3 - to take a prolific pass rusher. Much like a franchise QB does for an offense, it can really elevate everything if you have that game changing pass rusher. However, in this mock, I didn’t stand pat and take Bradley Chubb at number 3. I think he’s the guy you take if you stick at 3, but I also like the idea of adding a larger haul of draft picks, so I traded back. 

Thoughts on our offense:

Offensive line is once again, of dire importance. Our guard situation might be the worst in the league, and we’re unsettled at RT as well. I also see that our LT has only 2 more years under his current contract, which can’t be entirely ignored in planning for the long term. If there was a clear franchise tackle in this year’s draft, I’d take him at pick 3 in a heart beat, but I don’t see it. I’d rather not reach, but I do make a lot of moves along the O-line. It hurts for me to let Mewhort walk, as I like the guy and I’ve long been a supporter of his, but his chronic knee injury concern has made me lose faith in him.

As far as skill position guys go - I’m adding a couple but I'm not going crazy. I think the return of Andrew Luck will elevate the level of players around him. I did add a potential star running back in my draft, as I believe being better on the ground will make our offense more efficient. 

Re-signings:

Rashaan Melvin - 3yrs @ 7 mil/yr
The breakout season he had tells me he can be a starter in this league. 

Donte Moncrief - 1yr @ 4mil/yr
I’m not a fan of how he played last season, but he has good chemistry with Luck. Could take a prove it deal? 

Pierre Desir - 1yr @ 1.5mil/yr
He’s a good depth signing, and I’d like to get him back. 

Mike Person - 1yr @ 800k/yr  
I actually thought he played well enough to be a solid backup center. 

ERFA:

L. Rhodes - 1yr @ 600k/yr

E. Swoope - 1yr @ 600k/yr

Free Agents Signings:

Justin Pugh, OL (Giants) - 4yr @ 12mil/yr

He’s a good guard who can play tackle in a pinch, which gives us a bit of flexibility if we have injury issues our our young RT’s show signs of regression. I’d plan to start him at RG.

Ezekiel Ansah, Edge (Lions) - 2yrs @ 10.5mil/yr
I’d view this guy - like Sheard - as more of a short term fix at edge rusher. He’s already going to be 29 and has had some injury issues, but the talent level is really high. 

Nigel Bradham, LB (Eagles) - 3yrs @ 7mil/yr  
He’s a 3 down linebacker coming off of a solid year. Since the rest of my roster here is so young at linebacker, his experience is valued at the position, too. He’s coming off a Super Bowl campaign. 

Dontari Poe, DL (Falcons) - 2yrs @ 7mil/yr 
A scheme versatile, monstrous interior defensive lineman. He has the ability to generate an interior pass rush, which is a premium skill. He's lacked consistency in the past, but can be dominant.  

Jordan Matthews, WR (Bills) - 2yrs @ 3mil/yr
A big receiver who is coming off a down year with injuries. He was pretty good when he played for the Eagles, if he can bounce back, the Colts offense would be a good one for him to do so in. He’s going on 26, so still quite young. 

Denico Autry, DL (Raiders) - 2yrs @ 3mil/yr
A rotational DE/DT who quietly had 5 sacks and 7 passes defensed this past year. 

Senio Kelemete, OL (Saints) - 2yrs @ 2mil/yr
A good backup to have at guard. He’s by no means a superstar, but is pretty solid in pass protection. 

Terrance Mitchell, CB (Chiefs) - 1yr @ 1.5mil/yr  
A depth cornerback who would have been there in 2016 back when Ballard was. He’s still young and could improve, at only 26 next season. 

E.J. Manuel, QB (Raiders) - 1yr @ 1mil/yr
A QB3, in case Luck misses time or some desperate team got interested in trading for Brissett early next season. 

Terrence Brooks, S (Jets) - 1yr @ 1mil/yr
A good depth defensiveback to have, could be useful on nickel packages. 

Draft:

*Colts trade pick 3, John Simon to Jets for picks 6, 49, 103, Jets 2019 second round pick

R1 (6) - Quenton Nelson, OL, Notre Dame
I know, I know… I can hear the chorus now of “you can’t take a guard with a top 10 pick!” For exceptional players, sometimes these rules can be broken. This guy is the best prospect in the draft. Scouts are calling him “Zack Martin on steroids” and “the best run-blocker I’ve ever evaluated”.  

R2 (36) - Ronald Jones II, RB, USC
This guy is my Alvin Kamara of last year. I think he’ll do really well right off the bat, I love his track runner speed along with the elements of power, and ability to make guys miss. Irsay wants his Edgrin James type of running back, here he is. 

R2 (49) - Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina St.
Here’s some more talent at linebacker, and particularly an upgrade when it comes to coverage. Leonard is a rangy player, with good height and speed. He didn’t play big time college football but he showed well at the senior bowl. 

R3 (67) - Josh Sweat, Edge, Florida St.
This guy could be the Carl Lawson of the 2018 draft. He sustained a horrific knee injury as a high school senior that may cause him to drop, but he plays at a late 1st round to early 2nd round pick type of level. His athleticism and length are great, and his skill set is advanced. He’s very athletic, loves football, and if he can stay healthy can be a guy who gets sacks in the NFL. 

R4 (103) - Andrew Brown, DL, Virginia - A physically gifted defensive lineman who has had some consistency questions. He showed really well at senior bowl week, and would be a nice interior pass rushing presence. 

R4 (106) - Jerome Baker, LB, Ohio St.
A speedy linebacker who might be a little bit of a project, but has potential. He’s particularly interesting because of his traits that bode well for playing in coverage.

R5 (142) - Arrion Springs, CB, Oregon
We could use help rounding out our depth chart at cornerback. Springs has defensed 42 passes and picked off 2 in the past 3 years at Oregon. 

R6 (181) - Ryan Izzo, TE, Florida St.
A really good blocking tight end who has some catching ability. Will mesh nicely with what we already have at the position.

R7 (222) - Matthew McCrane, K, Kansas St.
When your kicker is as old as ours, time to start mocking a replacement until we find out otherwise.

Projected Roster:

Offense:
QB: A. Luck, J. Brissett, E. Manuel
RB: R. Jones, M. Mack R. Turbin
WR: T. Hilton, D. Moncrief, J. Matthews, C. Rogers
TE: J. Doyle, E. Swoope, R. Izzo
OT: A. Castonzo, J. Haeg, D. Good
OG: Q. Nelson, J. Pugh, S. Kelemete
C: R. Kelly, M. Person, D. Bond

Defense:
NT: D. Poe A. Woods, G. Stewart
DT: J. Hankins, H. Anderson, H. Ridgeway, A. Brown
DE: E. Ansah, J. Sheard, J. Sweat, T. Basham, D. Autry
LB: N. Bradham, D. Leonard, J. George, A. Walker, J. Baker
S: M. Hooker, C. Geathers, M. Farely, T. Green, T. Brooks
CB: R. Melvin, Q. Wilson, N. Hairston, T. Mitchell, A. Springs

Special Teams:
K: M. McCrane
P: R. Sanchez
LS: L. Rhodes
KR: Q. Bray

I like the picks but Jones is no Edgerrin James. In fact people are high on Barkley but he isn’t close to James either. James walked into the league and was the best rb in the game (see highlights below). Neither jones or Barkley display the same patience or ability between the tackles. People forget the force James was pre-injury. 

1 hour ago, Qcolts said:

I like the picks but Jones is no Edgerrin James. In fact people are high on Barkley but he isn’t close to James either. James walked into the league and was the best rb in the game (see highlights below). Neither jones or Barkley display the same patience or ability between the tackles. People forget the force James was pre-injury. 

Shoe in 1st ballot hall of famer if not for injury