Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Review of Ballard's first year

ty4atd

On 12/19/2017 at 3:06 PM, 1959Colts said:

Case Keenum and Nick Foles were free agent backups who have shown they can win. Both heading into playoffs

Foles also only played 3 games and the Eagles would not be where they are with him being the QB all year. Keenum has a better OL WR TE and RB than Indy and a better D Keenum was better than Brissett this year but he had a infinitely better situation and wasn't trying to learn a new offence without OTAs or TC.   

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2017. 12. 19. at 12:23 AM, NewColtsFan said:

That doesn't mean that Grigson is a better GM than Ballard.     Not at all.    You don't judge these things based on just one year.     It only means when comparing the two seasons that Grigson's was better.    And I'm happy he's gone and I'm happier that we have Ballard.      I think there are better days ahead for this franchise,  even with a cloud of doubt still around Luck.

I understand what you're trying to say and agree with you - both that Grigson's first year was better but still, Ballard might end up the better GM -, but your argument about Luck's avaibility and records makes no sense at all. You can't blame or give credit for things someone has no control over. If Luck was healthy, this very same Colts might just clinched the playoffs. Would've that made Ballards first year any better? No. Not for me. But Luck's absence doesn't make it worse neither.

On 12/18/2017 at 1:54 PM, DougDew said:

There is no biased message buried within.  Just objective statements. 

Ballard's first year was about as good as Grigon's first year. 

But he had more cap space to work with.

And no cap heavy/marginal vets to retain.

Ballard's job as GM is to make additions and subtractions that make sense given the constrictions of salary cap, draft position, and aging vets/cap.  Luck's injury has nothing to do with that other than it provoked the trade for Brissett.  

Grigson had an easy decision and took Luck.  Ballard didn't take a franchise QB, but wasn't faced with that decision or opportunity.  So given the constraints mentioned, they both did about the same with what they had.  Except Ballard took a non elite and potentially fragile FS at 15, and Grigson took an elite and durable (in college) C at 18.

How exactly was Hooker not an elite prospect if you're going to call Kelly one? Also he didn't have the heavy/marginal vets, but I'm sure the Colts would have loved 2011 Wayne and Mathis they would have made this years team very nice with a healthy Luck. Grigs also got to pick his own head coach and Ballard was forced Chuck for at least a year so picking up players who might not fit your next coach's scheme would have been dumb. In year 1 Grigs made 2 good moves drafting Hilton and signing Redding, Luck was automatic so that doesn't go on his record, and more bad ones.

I might be one of the few Colt fans on this forum who liked Ballards first draft. But, then again, I'm not sure anyone on here likes any thing about the Colts. So much negetivity, it's like listening to Louis Riddick talk about the Colts 24 hours a day. That guy needs to go away, far,far away. Back to Ballards draft. I wanted Johnathan Allen, but Hooker showed he was a great pick in the 7 games he played(and remember he didn't play much in the preseason or practice in training camp. Wilson-great pick, I've heard he was lazy and in the coaches doghouse, hopefully that can be corrected because he has all the physical ability he needs to play corner in the nfl. Bashem, Mack, Stewert, Hairston, and Walker-all solid picks for where they were drafted. Name me a team that every draft pick starts every year from every draft. One of the most important things Ballard did was turn the roster from one of the oldest in the league to one of the youngest.

5 hours ago, King Colt said:

So many think Ballard walks on water. Has anyone actually seen him do it?

I thought he did a solid job for year 1, and most of the comments have been the same but I haven't seen anyone saying anything over the top. This will be his big offseason hiring a new coach, #3 pick and a tone of cap space if he does a good job we will be contenders fast. 

2 hours ago, Two_pound said:

I might be one of the few Colt fans on this forum who liked Ballards first draft. But, then again, I'm not sure anyone on here likes any thing about the Colts. So much negetivity, it's like listening to Louis Riddick talk about the Colts 24 hours a day. That guy needs to go away, far,far away. Back to Ballards draft. I wanted Johnathan Allen, but Hooker showed he was a great pick in the 7 games he played(and remember he didn't play much in the preseason or practice in training camp. Wilson-great pick, I've heard he was lazy and in the coaches doghouse, hopefully that can be corrected because he has all the physical ability he needs to play corner in the nfl. Bashem, Mack, Stewert, Hairston, and Walker-all solid picks for where they were drafted. Name me a team that every draft pick starts every year from every draft. One of the most important things Ballard did was turn the roster from one of the oldest in the league to one of the youngest.

As far as the negative posters it don't matter what is happening they are going to find a reason. They have one thing in common. They have negative personalities. They are the type who the glass is always empty, not half full.

??? Thank you for adding nothing to the conversation. Ballard could well end up being a bad GM if he botches this draft and FA but as far as last season, I think he did a good job, if you want to add why you disagree then maybe your opinion might show some merit otherwise why post....

On 12/18/2017 at 10:46 AM, chad72 said:

I agree. For all the injuries the Patriots have had at wide out, the fact that Dorsett could still not make a dent shows that the grade for our trades should be more around B+, IMO. Brissett's inability or the team's/coaches' inability to help win games down the stretch is the only reason why this wouldn't be higher. The fact that we were in every game means Brissett was playing better than expected and games were not blowouts consistently.

Wilson, Basham and Banner - Wilson played OK in spurts but has ways to go. Basham was a project, because pass rushing in the NFL is hard, I would like to know who vouched so hard for the Banner pick, we could have used it on the line backers, in hindsight.

a lot of gms whiff on draft picks, who knows if they can play in the nfl like they did in college, free agents should be a sure thing for a gm. they have a previous nfl record to be judged by. i give him an average draft and excellant free agents for d-line below average for lb pickups, above average for secondary pickups,wr pickups below average, o-line pickups below average

The Future of the Colts Franchise is in good hands with Ballard as our GM.

1. He inherited a depleted roster, with more holes than a swiss cheese. 

2. He HAD to keep Pagano, and had nothing or next to little in the saying of keeping him this year.

3. Andrew Luck was banged up, and had to get surgery which left him with a huge ? going forward.

So from the beginning this was a very hard job, but overall i think he managed to do pretty well.

why?

1. He got some quality and young players in free agency, which all paned out to be rather succesful, taking the circumstances in consideration regarding our depleted roster.

2. His draft may not have been the best with a+ grade, but he drafted players with huge upside and only one was a direct bust. For me thats a good draft.

3. Going forward with Luck, and giving him the needed time to recover, Ballard seems to be on top of the situation. 

Furthermore he seems to be a genuine good and wise GM, who form the looks and wording do and says all the right things.

Compared to Grigson, he´s a way different person and you want to listen to what Ballard is saying.

So overall I think he´s the best GM we can have going forward, and I do believe that he will get the right coach for this team. 

For me I give him a passing grade in year one, but this will be where I think he'll earn his money.

Have to get better because the division is definitely getting better and if Jax somehow gets a QB and Watson comes back strong, we'll be in a dog fight for a playoff spot next year.

Must hit on a couple players in FA, and a couple starters in the draft. Plus he's gotta pick a solid coach.

He'll be busy the next few months.