Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Richardson selling the Carolina Panthers....

NewColtsFan

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Everything is about color because the only color in the NFL executive suite that matters is....    White.

It's the same problem in all sports.

And I say that as a white man.    I'd love to see more people of color in positions of power and influence.

Not P. Diddy,  I would think he's got no chance.    The NFL doesn't want a hip-hop artist as an owner.    But I think they'd love to have Steph Curry.     Smart, classy, sharp.    He'd be an asset to any league or company he'd join.

Why is that a "problem"

Shame about Jerry Richardson. Good friend of Johnny Unitas and caught a TD Pass for the Baltimore Colts in a 31-16 win in the 1959 NFL Championship win over the NY Giants. I guess Jerry was too old school and didn’t change his business culture with the times. It’s intersting he also fired his two sons from the team, and is now selling it to outside interests. 

6 hours ago, BOTT said:

Why is that a "problem"

I assume you're asking about the 31 white owners?

Because 31 white owners gets the NFL a reputation of being too corporate.    Too stuffy.    The NFL equalling the No Fun League.      Players being fined for slight variations of unifrom.    No EZ celebrations for years and years.    Silly fines.     Way too stuffy.

31 white owners gets you almost no African American head coaches,  few AA coordinators,  and only a small number of AA GM's.     I don't think that's good for the sport.    I'm hoping Louis Riddick of ESPN,  himself a former players and front office exec,  gets a good long look at being a GM.     I think it's his time.

Too much of any ethnicity or culture would be a problem.     I'd object if it was 31 African American owners.   31 Latin owners.      It isn't just the whiteness of it,  thought that's an issue because caucasions control most everything in this country.   And I'm a white guy.    Still,  it's the overwhelming majority being of one group.

I'm a big believe in diversity.    Fresh ideas and perspectives is healthy for a big vibrant business and that's what the NFL is....     some much needed diversity might make things a little better...

All just my opinion,  and offered only because you asked....  

That said....    it's good to see you posting....   you've been quiet for too long....

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I assume you're asking about the 31 white owners?

Because 31 white owners gets the NFL a reputation of being too corporate.    Too stuffy.    The NFL equalling the No Fun League.      Players being fined for slight variations of unifrom.    No EZ celebrations for years and years.    Silly fines.     Way too stuffy.

31 white owners gets you almost no African American head coaches,  few AA coordinators,  and only a small number of AA GM's.     I don't think that's good for the sport.    I'm hoping Louis Riddick of ESPN,  himself a former players and front office exec,  gets a good long look at being a GM.     I think it's his time.

Too much of any ethnicity or culture would be a problem.     I'd object if it was 31 African American owners.   31 Latin owners.      It isn't just the whiteness of it,  thought that's an issue because caucasions control most everything in this country.   And I'm a white guy.    Still,  it's the overwhelming majority being of one group.

I'm a big believe in diversity.    Fresh ideas and perspectives is healthy for a big vibrant business and that's what the NFL is....     some much needed diversity might make things a little better...

All just my opinion,  and offered only because you asked....  

That said....    it's good to see you posting....   you've been quiet for too long....

I'm not trying to bash your post NCF. But you don't know for a fact that 31 white owners gets you almost no African American head coaches, coordinators, GMs, etc. That's merely speculation on why there aren't black people in some of those spots. Also worth mentioning, african americans only make up 13.3% of the United States population compared to 76.9% Caucasian. Maybe that's the real statistic why black people aren't in more places of position compared to white people? It's good to be diversified but not forced to be diversified just to make things "look" fair or equal. I'd like to see a black owner in the NFL. I wouldn't mind it one bit. But the topic that white people are always the overwhelming majority in a group... Well it's because white people are the overwhelming majority of the whole dang population for starters.

On 12/18/2017 at 11:19 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Everything is about color because the only color in the NFL executive suite that matters is....    White.

It's the same problem in all sports.

And I say that as a white man.    I'd love to see more people of color in positions of power and influence.

Not P. Diddy,  I would think he's got no chance.    The NFL doesn't want a hip-hop artist as an owner.    But I think they'd love to have Steph Curry.     Smart, classy, sharp.    He'd be an asset to any league or company he'd join.

The problem is that every team has to have a majority owner who owns 51% of the team.  

So you are essentially going to need an owner with at least a billion dollars.  The list of billionares out there is extremely small.  Are there even any billionares that are black?  I don't honestly know.

I mean you can find athletes and music artists etc who have millions.  But NFL franchises are now worth billions.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Are there even any billionares that are black?  I don't honestly know.

yeah, but not very many

3 Americans, Oprah, michael jordan and robert smith, who i am not familiar with

diddy is worth more than 800 million though, according to google

4 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

I'm not trying to bash your post NCF. But you don't know for a fact that 31 white owners gets you almost no African American head coaches, coordinators, GMs, etc. That's merely speculation on why there aren't black people in some of those spots. Also worth mentioning, african americans only make up 13.3% of the United States population compared to 76.9% Caucasian. Maybe that's the real statistic why black people aren't in more places of position compared to white people? It's good to be diversified but not forced to be diversified just to make things "look" fair or equal. I'd like to see a black owner in the NFL. I wouldn't mind it one bit. But the topic that white people are always the overwhelming majority in a group... Well it's because white people are the overwhelming majority of the whole dang population for starters.

Well...   regardless of the reason,  it's unhealthy.     And there's a reason why the Rooney family, who own the Steelers came up with the rule about teams MUST interview an African American before hiring a new coach...    the rule recognizes that the people who make the ultimate decisions have a bad history of not even interviewing AA candidates, much less hiring them.    Impossible to get a job if you can't even get an interview.    So there is recognition of the problem.  (Yes, I know there are exceptions to the rule)

As to the ratio of AA and Caucasians...   I don't think that's helpful to your cause because the numbers of AA head coaches and coordinators are so tiny.   So that's not helpful to your argument.     Plus, the percentages of AA who actually play the game is well over 50 percent.   I think it pushing 60 percent.    So, all those AA players and so few HCs and coordinators?    Not a good look.   I'm not saying this is overt racism...   but the NFL simply has to make a better effort to give much more opportunity to people.   

More opportunity means more change for the better for everyone.    That's what I believe.

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

The problem is that every team has to have a majority owner who owns 51% of the team.  

So you are essentially going to need an owner with at least a billion dollars.  The list of billionares out there is extremely small.  Are there even any billionares that are black?  I don't honestly know.

I mean you can find athletes and music artists etc who have millions.  But NFL franchises are now worth billions.  

For starters...   I'd settle for a minority owner who is AA.    He/she doesn't have to be the majority owner.

And I'm not sure each team HAS to have an owner who has 51 percent.    That MAY be true, but even if it is, I don't believe each NFL team is, in fact,  worth 2 billion.   That MAY be true, but I'm not sure that is a fact as of today.    I think some franchises are worth less than 2 Bill.    The Colts might be one of them.   The Raiders and Jags and Chargers are three others.   And I suspect there are more...   

I saw a post in this thread that says there are just THREE AA billionaires in the U.S.  Oprah, Jordan and a businessman.  That's why a start might be to bring someone as a minority owner.   Long journeys start with a first step.   Thus will not happen over night.   But at some point,  someone Black and White has to take the first step.  

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...   regardless of the reason,  it's unhealthy.     And there's a reason why the Rooney family, who own the Steelers came up with the rule about teams MUST interview an African American before hiring a new coach...    the rule recognizes that the people who make the ultimate decisions have a bad history of not even interviewing AA candidates, much less hiring them.    Impossible to get a job if you can't even get an interview.    So there is recognition of the problem.  (Yes, I know there are exceptions to the rule)

As to the ratio of AA and Caucasians...   I don't think that's helpful to your cause because the numbers of AA head coaches and coordinators are so tiny.   So that's not helpful to your argument.     Plus, the percentages of AA who actually play the game is well over 50 percent.   I think it pushing 60 percent.    So, all those AA players and so few HCs and coordinators?    Not a good look.   I'm not saying this is overt racism...   but the NFL simply has to make a better effort to give much more opportunity to people.   

More opportunity means more change for the better for everyone.    That's what I believe.

Making a rule that you HAVE to interview a person of color sounds.... odd. If you send the "resume", how do you know that they are black, white, asian, latino, etc. by looking at the piece of paper? Hmm... I guess in the NFL, everyone knows everyone so there's probably no guessing who is who when interviewing. I doubt that someone is rejected solely based on their skin color in the NFL. If someone has the experience, that is what helps to their advantage on acquiring the job. Period.

The ratio of african americans and caucasians has a lot to do with this. It's simple ratios at play here. There's 13.3% population of african americans in this country. Then take out the percentage that actually have coaching experience out of that 13.3%. The amount that have that coaching experience is most likely very slim. Huge advantage to caucasian americans. Higher percentage of experienced white americans due to volume alone. 

There is definitely a high percentage of african american players. I don't want to ASSUME the reason why that is. Maybe more young african american men love the game of football or have the physical traits to be better at it than others? Who knows. The same could be said about rap music. Why are there more african american rappers than white rappers? Maybe that's a question for Diddy. lol

People make the mistake of trying to consistently apply logic when discussing issues about diversity of color.  Diversity isn't the result of consistently applying logic.  Its the result of the desire for social change.  The desire for change trumps logic and common sense when it comes to understanding many policies.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For starters...   I'd settle for a minority owner who is AA.    He/she doesn't have to be the majority owner.

And I'm not sure each team HAS to have an owner who has 51 percent.    That MAY be true, but even if it is, I don't believe each NFL team is, in fact,  worth 2 billion.   That MAY be true, but I'm not sure that is a fact as of today.    I think some franchises are worth less than 2 Bill.    The Colts might be one of them.   The Raiders and Jags and Chargers are three others.   And I suspect there are more...   

I saw a post in this thread that says there are just THREE AA billionaires in the U.S.  Oprah, Jordan and a businessman.  That's why a start might be to bring someone as a minority owner.   Long journeys start with a first step.   Thus will not happen over night.   But at some point,  someone Black and White has to take the first step.  

A minority owner in the NFL is pretty meaningless.  They might get a percentage of the profits but they make zero business decisions.

There does have to be an owner that holds a majority stake in the team.  It's in the NFL rule books.  Packers are grandfathered in, but there needs to be a majority owner for every other team.

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Making a rule that you HAVE to interview a person of color sounds.... odd. If you send the "resume", how do you know that they are black, white, asian, latino, etc. by looking at the piece of paper? Hmm... I guess in the NFL, everyone knows everyone so there's probably no guessing who is who when interviewing. I doubt that someone is rejected solely based on their skin color in the NFL. If someone has the experience, that is what helps to their advantage on acquiring the job. Period.

The ratio of african americans and caucasians has a lot to do with this. It's simple ratios at play here. There's 13.3% population of african americans in this country. Then take out the percentage that actually have coaching experience out of that 13.3%. The amount that have that coaching experience is most likely very slim. Huge advantage to caucasian americans. Higher percentage of experienced white americans due to volume alone. 

There is definitely a high percentage of african american players. I don't want to ASSUME the reason why that is. Maybe more young african american men love the game of football or have the physical traits to be better at it than others? Who knows. The same could be said about rap music. Why are there more african american rappers than white rappers? Maybe that's a question for Diddy. lol

To me the bigger issue is getting more African Americans into the lower level coaching positions in the first place and having head coaches giving them a shot.  

When it comes to head coaches, I don't think the Rooney rule is going to do much good.  It only gets an AA coach a free interview.  But 90% of the decision on a head coach is resume and not how they interview.  Most of the time the owners probably know who they want before even interviewing anyone.

And I believe that they will hire anyone who can help their team win, no matter what their race.

The problem IMO is getting more AA into coaching at the ground level.  There more that come in there the more likely you are to see ones that succeed and move up the coaching ranks.  Maybe a Rooney rule is needed at the ground level where I'm guessing interviews are more meaningful then resumes.  

Also I kind of think the Rooney rule sucks for AA coordinators around the league.  Every single one of them when they get invited to an interview is going to be going there wondering if the team is actually interested in hiring them or if they are just bringing them in to fulfill the rule.

12 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

A minority owner in the NFL is pretty meaningless.  They might get a percentage of the profits but they make zero business decisions.

There does have to be an owner that holds a majority stake in the team.  It's in the NFL rule books.  Packers are grandfathered in, but there needs to be a majority owner for every other team.

Many teams have minority partners...   I don't think one of them would tell you it's meaningless.    Not sure why you'd think it is?

Besides...  a minority partner does not have to be a billionaire, so that opens up the possibilities to a much larger group of possible owners.

Move forward...  find the battles you can win...   win them, and move forward..   Progress is a good thing, even if it's not everything you want.    Someday it will be.

On 12/20/2017 at 12:35 PM, NewColtsFan said:

well as of last year there are only three black billionaires in the country, and 12 in the world.  most of them are royalty somewhere

if they cant afford to be owners then i dont see that as a problem with the league.  diddy is worth 800 million though, he could get a big piece of the panthers with that