Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coach Manning

LUVTHESHOE

Just curious why almost everyone one this site and alot of people not on here assume Manning will coach someday,why would he want to? He is going to have it made. These coaches work endless hours almost everyday of the year. I would think when is wonder career is over he would love to spend time with his family,he would have earned the break. I can't remember one great nfl quarteback going on to coach. Aikman,Montana,Favre,Young,Starbauch,Marino,Bradshaw,Elway,and so on. I really can't even remember any of them ever considering it ,so what would make PM different. It just does'nt seem to be an avenue any of the great qb's have ever taken. Strange but true, correct me if I have spaced one. Sorry my attempt to stray away from the will he wont he be a colt chat for a few.

I personally think Peyton is smart enough to figure out you don't get fired doing TV (unless you are Boomer Esiason doing MNF) and you don't have to work nearly as many hours or move your team and always be looking for another job.

I think the people who talk about Peyton becoming a coach are doing it more out of hope as a way they can hold on to Peyton even after he retires. Personally I remember when Peyton used to fill in on CBS on the Colts bye week early in his career and he always did a good job. I would look forward to watching whatever pre-game show or watch games that he is broadcasting.

Just curious why almost everyone one this site and alot of people not on here assume Manning will coach someday,why would he want to? He is going to have it made. These coaches work endless hours almost everyday of the year. I would think when is wonder career is over he would love to spend time with his family,he would have earned the break. I can't remember one great nfl quarteback going on to coach. Aikman,Montana,Favre,Young,Starbauch,Marino,Bradshaw,Elway,and so on. I really can't even remember any of them ever considering it ,so what would make PM different. It just does'nt seem to be an avenue any of the great qb's have ever taken. Strange but true, correct me if I have spaced one. Sorry my attempt to stray away from the will he wont he be a colt chat for a few.

PASSION FOR THE GAME.

I think it is way in which some fans can retain hope that PM will still be around in face of the reality that PM may not play for the Colts again.

It may not be rational, but neither are other coping mechanisms that have been seen, such as:

If we can convince the Colts not to draft Luck (by hating on him enough), the probability that PM will still be a Colt is increased.

Yep I don't see him a coach at all period. Sure he's great but it just doesn't translate into "teaching"....those who are teachers have the vision "how to be great" but themselves aren't "truly great". However...Manning just can't teach much I don't think...although Painter and Sorgi have been terrible understudies to say the least....ugh.

I just think with the "star power" from the hilarious commercials and spots he has done, he will end up in the booth. Remember we were getting to be "America's Team" with Manning. This will give him a chance to watch the twins grow up. 16/17 hour days during the season is not fun for the coaches.

Name some good QB's that became not only head coaches but successful ones. JIm Harbaugh seems to fit but that's all I can come up with. Bart Starr a great QB, flopped as a head coach. I thought Mike Singletary the great Bears MLB would be a great coach and look what happend to him. Playing well has no reflection on coaching well.

I remember reading anout how PM studied or took several extra classes to help him get comfortable behind the camera when he was in college. Anyone remember this? I think the conventional wisdom was that he did this to help during interviews but I remember hearing him talk about this his rookie year and thought his intent was broader than that. Perhaps he was preparing for life as an analyst then. With the way analysts break down tape and with the Gruden QB things he does I could easily see this as a path for PM.

There's no way Peyton is going into the NFL coaching ranks. He makes a lucrative living just on commercial endorsements & company advertisements alone. Maybe both he & Jeff Saturday can do some NFL Network broadcasting booth corespondent work together down the road once retirement is a conclusive reality for both players. Jeff Saturday has a nice speaking voice & he vocabulary is top notch too. Peyton can chime in with comedic bits & skits. He has a natural gift for excellent timing & a well delivered straight man's line.

No former Hall of Fame player like Peyton Manning wants to subject themselves to long hours, poor sleep, & food on the go synonomous with the coaching lifestyle. Forget that nonsense entirely.

Also, ESPN analyst Skip Bayless on "First Take" has an intriguing theory about why former players make poor coaches in sports: Often, the more talented & athletically gifted a a professional athlete is the worse of a GM & general manager of evaluating & critiquing raw talent you truly are.

Their God given talents & skills come so easily to this Hall of Fame player that, aside from a natural competitive drive, they posses no real game day teaching skills & they cannot mold players into great players in their respective sports on average. Look at Michael Jordan. Greatest NBA player ever & 6 Championships Rings to his credit, but he was a horrible basketball GM of the Bobcats.

There's really only a couple of reasons Manning would want to coach, because he's extremely competitive and because he loves the game that much. Of course $$$ wouldn't be a factor, he's set rightnow. I believe he would consider it after he's been retired for several years, not necessarily for the Colts or even the NFL.

There's really only a couple of reasons Manning would want to coach, because he's extremely competitive and because he loves the game that much. Of course $$$ wouldn't be a factor, he's set rightnow. I believe he would consider it after he's been retired for several years, not necessarily for the Colts or even the NFL.

Maybe he'll coach his kids soccer teams in a couple of years lol.