Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RB Matt Jones

1959Colts

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Well dang!  Throw some water on my fire why don't you?  I still have visions of Gore and Jones wearing the D down and then Mack blazing through them.  If Jones really has a chip on his shoulder hopefully he will plow some guys under.  That's what I'm looking for him to provide for us.

Now I would use him in a 2 RB set with Mack and have Mack go one way and Matt go another.  That would be a much more effective use of that personnel grouping.  But as far as a lead blocking back, sadly our best one is our best TE as well, same as it's been the last 4 years really.

1 hour ago, tikyle said:

Now I would use him in a 2 RB set with Mack and have Mack go one way and Matt go another.  That would be a much more effective use of that personnel grouping.  But as far as a lead blocking back, sadly our best one is our best TE as well, same as it's been the last 4 years really.

When you have a RB the size of Jones it would be a waist not to have him block for another RB.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

There is no reason to do that because we would use Turbin or one of the tight ends/H backs. Turbin is a big dude as well.

Not nearly as big as jones who has about 4 inches and 15-20 pounds on him. Regardless you can move Jones all over the field once he's acclimated with the system. 

10 hours ago, TheOptimist88 said:

Not nearly as big as jones who has about 4 inches and 15-20 pounds on him. Regardless you can move Jones all over the field once he's acclimated with the system. 

Jones has never been used that way and likely won't be. Its like wanting to take Edgerrin James and move him to fullback just because hes tall. There's a certain body type that's normally used at fullback in the NFL. That would be somebody the stature of Turbin. An H back is bigger only because they also play tight end. I doubt you will ever see Jones moved to fullback.

On 9/4/2017 at 10:00 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Joe Addai didn't fall off at all. He done exactly what was ask of him. He blocked for Manning and caught passes out of the backfield. Both of those he was very good at. Made a whole bunch of first downs. He should have been co MVP of the super bowl.

So IMO Joe was a bad example to use.

I agree Joseph Addai was a good blocking running back. He took some shots from bigger guys and kept on blocking did his job!!! Gore is a good blocker too, it pains me to say this about gore. I think Colts should use more of Mack this season and see what he is made of before we let Gore walk next season. What do you think?

1 hour ago, hoosierhysteria said:

I agree Joseph Addai was a good blocking running back. He took some shots from bigger guys and kept on blocking did his job!!! Gore is a good blocker too, it pains me to say this about gore. I think Colts should use more of Mack this season and see what he is made of before we let Gore walk next season. What do you think?

I think if we use a combination of our RBs we may be able to keep the other teams defense guessing. I would think we will see the other teams defense stacking the box to stop our run and force Tolzien to pass hoping he will make mistakes. It hurts not having Swoop because our TE position has to be there for Tolzien. Doyle will be a very busy player as I see it.

7 hours ago, krunk said:

Jones has never been used that way and likely won't be. Its like wanting to take Edgerrin James and move him to fullback just because hes tall. There's a certain body type that's normally used at fullback in the NFL. That would be somebody the stature of Turbin. An H back is bigger only because they also play tight end. I doubt you will ever see Jones moved to fullback.

Again this would be in certain sets. Not full time I don't understand how you don't get that? If Mack is in the backfield he can lead block on the play, or run a route, or stay in the backfield and pass protect. Again that's sparingly maybe a handful of times a game. He'll still get 90% of his snaps at running back. That's like telling me Mack can't line up as a wide receiver because he's a running back. You want to utilize these backs in every way possible especially with a backup Quarterback in. Anything to make Scott Tolzien bearable as your QB. 

36 minutes ago, TheOptimist88 said:

Again this would be in certain sets. Not full time I don't understand how you don't get that? If Mack is in the backfield he can lead block on the play, or run a route, or stay in the backfield and pass protect. Again that's sparingly maybe a handful of times a game. He'll still get 90% of his snaps at running back. That's like telling me Mack can't line up as a wide receiver because he's a running back. You want to utilize these backs in every way possible especially with a backup Quarterback in. Anything to make Scott Tolzien bearable as your QB. 

More than likely the Rams will stack the box to force Tolzien to throw the ball. They will test him to see if he will make mistakes.

So much promise....how can this savior of our running game be expendable?  

Funny how the pundits get so enamored with weight, height, 40 time, (fill in the blank) while ignoring the simple fact that paid scouts, coaches, and GM have weighed, measured and found the player wanting.  LOL...