Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Salary Cap Question? Are my numbers correct for next year?

loudnproudcolt

I put all the cuts from today into Over the Cap to get a look at the salary cap. I put in Morris as cut, although I am hoping it is Tolzien. Regardless, with the cuts today, we have 24.7M left for this year, and 66.7M for next year. I know the 24.7M will drop a bit due to signings of players who were released today from other teams. Regardless, it won't drop that much. Am I correct in assuming that 24.7M will carryover to next year and we are going to have almost 90M in cap space next year? I knew we were going to be one of the top teams next year in cap space, but are my calculations correct?

If so, Ballard may want to focus on the draft, but with the CBA spending requirements, we are going to be picking up some FA's. I hope the market has some good ones. I looked for guards and tackles, and of course it does not look like a strong crop next year. Things change though. Thoughts on the Cap Space?

It's still premature obviously, since the roster isn't finalized. And figure on about $10m being used for additional moves and the practice squad. But yes, if the Colts finish the season with around $10m in cap space and choose to roll that forward (no reason not to), that gets added to the approximately $60m in cap space that they're projected to have in 2018. The Colts are in very good shape, capwise. 

Even though every GM wants to build through the draft, most of them will find a way to spend $70m in cap space, if the right players come free. 

One other thing, the salary floor won't force the Colts to spend. That's not how it works. 

16 hours ago, Superman said:

It's still premature obviously, since the roster isn't finalized. And figure on about $10m being used for additional moves and the practice squad. But yes, if the Colts finish the season with around $10m in cap space and choose to roll that forward (no reason not to), that gets added to the approximately $60m in cap space that they're projected to have in 2018. The Colts are in very good shape, capwise. 

Even though every GM wants to build through the draft, most of them will find a way to spend $70m in cap space, if the right players come free. 

One other thing, the salary floor won't force the Colts to spend. That's not how it works. 

That's all well and good as we'll have the most cap space of any team in 2018. Now look at the bad part of it.

1) Click on the page that shows the money being paid out for 2018. Even if you add in Mewhort and Montcrief , that list has very little proven talent. Yeah.. there's some younger players that might develop but it really is , IMO, a sorry looking group.

2) Cap money seems to be over rated in most cases.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

That's all well and good as we'll have the most cap space of any team in 2018. Now look at the bad part of it.

1) Click on the page that shows the money being paid out for 2018. Even if you add in Mewhort and Montcrief , that list has very little proven talent. Yeah.. there's some younger players that might develop but it really is , IMO, a sorry looking group.

2) Cap money seems to be over rated in most cases.

Cap space is overrated, for sure. You can't buy a title contender, like some seem to think.

I haven't spent a lot of time looking ahead to 2018 free agents, but I know Trumaine Johnson and Bennie Logan are expected to hit the market, and I'd be content with just adding those two. Then there are guys who flash in contract years, and underrated guys no one talks about, like OL. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Cap space is overrated, for sure. You can't buy a title contender, like some seem to think.

I haven't spent a lot of time looking ahead to 2018 free agents, but I know Trumaine Johnson and Bennie Logan are expected to hit the market, and I'd be content with just adding those two. Then there are guys who flash in contract years, and underrated guys no one talks about, like OL. 

Yes OL. With Clark appearing to wash out , this unit needs to have a top notch RT and be done with it.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

It certainly can be. But you can also get a couple guys like you mentioned and turn a defense around in a hurry. See NYG getting Snacks and Jenkins. 

One thing I hated about Grigs was he liked spending 25m on 5 guys instead of 25m on two. If you build through the draft and add a couple difference makers you can turn things around quickly. 

Cap management is one thing Grigson did right. 

Grigson was not a great talent evaluator, and he meddled too much in coaching decisions. However, he was good at managing the cap, and he left us in good shape. It's likely that Irsay helped him with this. Nevertheless, credit to Grigson is due.