Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This whole Brady at 40 thing.....

Jules

1 hour ago, Surge89 said:

The main issue I had with Dungy is anywhere he was the team was a one sided powerhouse.  The other side a train wreck...  And it was a constant with him depending on what players were given to him from the regime prior.  To me that is a huge error in the coach not being able to create and just being able to facilitate. 

I have no idea how you can ignore the greatness of BB.  Yes it may diminish Brady a little but there is no denying that the next best coach in his era isn't even close to him.  He's easily 4 or 5 levels ahead. 

Everyone knows it was Polian who picked the players for the Colts. If Dungy's defense was as you say a train wreck that fell on Polian and not Dungy. You want to overlook the defense that Dungy was responsible for in Tampa Bay because that was put together by him. Like I said, disregard and disrespect all you want to aim at Dungy but your opinion is not shared by the majority of those who know the NFL inside out.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, footballhero1 said:

Yeah Dungy was a great coach. Everyone knows it was basically his team that won the Super Bowl in 2002

In the Jim Irsay era as owner, Dungy is the best Coach we have ever had. OK he should be labeled Great, he made the HOFame even but IMO he isn't in Bill Belichick's class or Coaches like Lombardi, Walsh, Shula, Landry, Knoll, Parcells, Madden, and Gibbs. I would take a prime Jimmy Johnson over him as well, but yes we can label him Great because he made the HOFame. I put what I put in bold so I don't get ripped saying they are at least 10 Coaches that have been better than Dungy in NFL history. Dungy was Great but doesn't win a SB without Peyton, JMO.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In the Jim Irsay era as owner, Dungy is the best Coach we have ever had. OK he should be labeled Great, he made the HOFame even but IMO he isn't in Bill Belichick's class or Coaches like Lombardi, Walsh, Shula, Landry, Knoll, Parcells, Madden, and Gibbs. I would take a prime Jimmy Johnson over him as well, but yes we can label him Great because he made the HOFame. I put what I put in bold so I don't get ripped saying they are at least 10 Coaches that have been better than Dungy in NFL history. Dungy was Great but doesn't win a SB without Peyton, JMO.

One thing that does need to be brought up is head coaches like Shula, Landry, Lombardi, Madden, Gibbs, Knoll and a few more coached teams that were not controlled by a hard salary cap. Linemen were not paid the big bucks of today. TEs were used basically as blockers for the most part.  Teams that were built stayed together as a unit for much longer. Now when a team wins a super bowl most all the players from that team want the big pay day and move on to other teams and the other teams raid them too.

Plus as far as Jimmy Johnson is concerned he made the HOF by making maybe the best trade in NFL history and utilizing the right draft picks that were the result of that trade. Even Switzer won a super bowl with those players. When Jimmy Johnson went to another team he was average at best.

Yes Dungy did win a super bowl with Manning but if you look at all the coaches you listed every one of them had  hall of fame QBs except for Gibbs.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

One thing that does need to be brought up is head coaches like Shula, Landry, Lombardi, Madden, Gibbs, Knoll and a few more coached teams that were not controlled by a hard salary cap. Linemen were not paid the big bucks of today. TEs were used basically as blockers for the most part.  Teams that were built stayed together as a unit for much longer. Now when a team wins a super bowl most all the players from that team want the big pay day and move on to other teams and the other teams raid them too.

Plus as far as Jimmy Johnson is concerned he made the HOF by making maybe the best trade in NFL history and utilizing the right draft picks that were the result of that trade. Even Switzer won a super bowl with those players. When Jimmy Johnson went to another team he was average at best.

Yes Dungy did win a super bowl with Manning but if you look at all the coaches you listed every one of them had  hall of fame QBs except for Gibbs.

Regarding Jimmy Johnson he was Bill Belichick like, he knew how to Draft players and he had that power back then like BB does now until Jerry Jones ego got huge. Once Jerry wasn't getting any credit for the Cowboys draft picks he wanted Jimmy out. Who knows how may SB's the Cowboys would've won had Jimmy been there 10 years. He would've probably just kept putting solid draft picks around Aikman/Smith/Irvin. They would've been a powerhouse for a long time. Switzer won with his players.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding Jimmy Johnson he was Bill Belichick like, he knew how to Draft players and he had that power back then like BB does now until Jerry Jones ego got huge. Once Jerry wasn't getting any credit for the Cowboys draft picks he wanted Jimmy out. Who knows how may SB's the Cowboys would've won had Jimmy been there 10 years. He would've probably just kept putting solid draft picks around Aikman/Smith/Irvin. They would've been a powerhouse for a long time. Switzer won with his players.

I defiantly agree that Jones getting rid of Johnson cost him at least two super bowls maybe more. One thing overlooked is Aikman. Had he played a couple of more years he may have been carried off in a body bag. He was pounded and abused to the point it wasn't funny. (or healthy)

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:
1 hour ago, footballhero1 said:

Yeah Dungy was a great coach. Everyone knows it was basically his team that won the Super Bowl in 2002

Thanks to them getting a coach who didn't go 1 and done with teams that were better than that. I mean I can't say enough how much I respect Dungy. He's 1 of the best at whipping bad teams into shape fast. Colts had another coach like that named Jim Mora so they know all about it whether they admit it or not.

On 8/11/2017 at 5:30 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Everyone knows it was Polian who picked the players for the Colts. If Dungy's defense was as you say a train wreck that fell on Polian and not Dungy. You want to overlook the defense that Dungy was responsible for in Tampa Bay because that was put together by him. Like I said, disregard and disrespect all you want to aim at Dungy but your opinion is not shared by the majority of those who know the NFL inside out.

Polian picked the players that would fit his coach's needs.  Like any good GM...  that's why I give Polian more credit because the players Dungy wanted (to replicate that TB defense btw) didn't grow on trees and Polian still found adequate enough players to fill a dated scheme and won with it...

I'm not overlooking that Tampa defense but Wyche was the guy who drafted the core of that defense.  Dungy just facilitated...

You are acting like I'm saying he's the worst coach on earth.  He's a good coach and  he can facilitate.  He's just no where near the pedigree of the greatest coach's.  Its not disrespect... I'll even say that Dungy was the best coach Manning had in Indy.  But it stops there.

"People who know the game in and out" as you say probably wouldnt take Dungy over any of these coach's mentioned and probably more.  

1 hour ago, Surge89 said:

Polian picked the players that would fit his coach's needs.  Like any good GM...  that's why I give Polian more credit because the players Dungy wanted (to replicate that TB defense btw) didn't grow on trees and Polian still found adequate enough players to fill a dated scheme and won with it...

I'm not overlooking that Tampa defense but Wyche was the guy who drafted the core of that defense.  Dungy just facilitated...

You are acting like I'm saying he's the worst coach on earth.  He's a good coach and  he can facilitate.  He's just no where near the pedigree of the greatest coach's.  Its not disrespect... I'll even say that Dungy was the best coach Manning had in Indy.  But it stops there.

"People who know the game in and out" as you say probably wouldnt take Dungy over any of these coach's mentioned and probably more.  

Polian picked the players he wanted. It was common knowledge that Polian did things his way and didn't really care what someone thought or wanted. Polian worked on the offense so much the Colts defense always was hurting. Polian piled the whole Colts team on Mannings back and rode him like a horse and very rarely did the defense even come close to the offense. Polian also put together a very poor special team and they were never in the top of the league. Yes Polian could built an offense but not so much with a defense. Look at his playoffs records. He made the playoffs a bunch but won how many super bowls? Why? Because lack of defense and special teams play.