Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hypothetical Draft - Most important position after QB?

Hypothetical Draft - Most important position after QB?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. If you were the Colts GM and suddenly every player in the NFL was a draft prospect, and you had to draft the entire team from scratch, what position would you want to draft after getting your franchise QB in the 1st round?

• Offensive Tackle - Protect the blind side of the QB
    • Pass Rusher - Pressure the opposing QB
    • Receiver - Give your QB an elite weapon
    • Defensive Back - Take away options from opposing QB
    • Linebacker - Tough leader for the defense
    • Best Player Available
    • Other

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd say either Left Tackle on offense,   or pass rush (4-3 RDE or 3-4 Rush OLB)

Whichever is 2nd,  the other is 3rd.

Then Cornerback is 4th overall.

I'd agree with this, except I lean more on the pass rusher (NFL GMs seem to agree since those guys get the biggest mone after QBs) and I value interior pass rush as more even more than edge rush. It's harder for QB to evade pass rush coming directly at his face.

Corner at #4 unless we are talking about elite safety with range like Earl Thomas (hopefully Hooker in couple of years too). Maybe LB like Kuechly or Willis.

Pass rusher, and I'd value JJ Watt above Von Miller because he can line up everywhere, and he's just as great against the run. 

I feel like you can scheme everything else, if necessary. But a dominant pass rusher is going to change the game for you.

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

Pass rusher, and I'd value JJ Watt above Von Miller because he can line up everywhere, and he's just as great against the run. 

I feel like you can scheme everything else, if necessary. But a dominant pass rusher is going to change the game for you.

Agree. If you have a dominant pass rusher it will effect the opposition's thinking on every single offensive play.

A dominant left tackle doesn't change the game in the same way.

Left tackle. . . 

You have to make sure you keep your new QB upright in order for him to be successful.  Bad OL's have killed decent QB's in the past through destroying their confidence.  Can't let that happen.

You also want to get him a receiver but there are enough good receivers in the league that you could wait til the hypothetical 3rd round for that.  

20 hours ago, Superman said:

Agree...which is why I voted "Other" as "Pass Rusher" wasn't specific enough. A true three-down dominant, versatile player on the DL is the most important (and valuable) position after QB. He can excel at rushing the passer AND stopping the run. They also happen to be the highest-paid players (on average) after QB...so getting one on a cheap rookie deal is tremendous value.   

I would say it's almost a tie between pass rusher and OT.  Nothing can change a game like a great pass rusher (other than QB obviously), but you need a good tackle to protect the QB too or he isn't as effective.  I leaned more toward pass rusher when I voted because I guess you could slide protection over to the tackle to help out if he isn't as strong, and have the TE chip.