Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Future kicker

Is it just me or is everyone else hoping if AV retires next year(I think he could play 3 more) that we pick up Robert Aguayo? He played bad his rookie year. But I think it was just him trying to adjust to the different atmosphere and all of the pressure. He is talented. He was drafted in the SECOND round in today's NFL. Rumors are he could very well be released by the Bucs. 

Aguayo isn't all that. TB were stupid enough to draft a K in the 2nd. Just because he went there doesn't mean he's the best. Best K available in the 7th round of the draft after AV retires would do fine. But that could be 10 years from now for all we know.

26 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Aguayo isn't all that. TB were stupid enough to draft a K in the 2nd. Just because he went there doesn't mean he's the best. Best K available in the 7th round of the draft after AV retires would do fine. But that could be 10 years from now for all we know.

They even traded up for him... in the 2nd round! :lol:

10 hours ago, buccolts said:

I never thought of it before, and likely never will again.

So, you're alone, so far.

You act like it's stupid. Gets us a kicker for the next 10 years. If Adam retires, we need a kicker. There is not any good kickers out there that will be available. People that don't think ahead of time are the ones that don't go places in life. haha 

30 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

I'm not saying he is a top 3 kicker. But he has potential. He is young. If he gets cut this offseason. Signs a 1 year contract for a team in need of a kicker at some point next season, I would be happy to give him a shot. Better than using a draft pick. 

11 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

You act like it's stupid. Gets us a kicker for the next 10 years. If Adam retires, we need a kicker. There is not any good kickers out there that will be available. People that don't think ahead of time are the ones that don't go places in life. haha 

Actually, I thought it was just a bit silly.

NOW, I'm starting to think it's actually stupid.

Well, if we'll always need a kicker, and Aguayo is the last one, yes, I'm concerned now.

18 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Well, if we'll always need a kicker, and Aguayo is the last one, yes, I'm concerned now.

Okay. Obviously he isn't the last one. He would get picked up if he didn't make it through the bucs camp. Teams likely sign them to one year contracts if it's is late after training camp. If he had a good year, we could pick him up as he would be a FA. Just agree to disagree.

24 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Those are strong words, especially since Aguayo is such a talented player. Obviously the odds of us signing him when Vinatieri is gone are very slim. But Aguayo's problem seems more of a "mental" issue, meaning that the pressure is in his head. He has all the talent to be great. 

Maybe a change of scenery can be good for him, he's still young. 

1 hour ago, Vinatieri4 said:

Those are strong words, especially since Aguayo is such a talented player. Obviously the odds of us signing him when Vinatieri is gone are very slim. But Aguayo's problem seems more of a "mental" issue, meaning that the pressure is in his head. He has all the talent to be great. 

Maybe a change of scenery can be good for him, he's still young. 

His words, I just repeated them.

I know it's the off-season, and we need things to talk about, I just think this is a pretty odd thing to worry about.

We will need to bring someone for competition, but I thought someone mentioned that our new punter was a kick off guy also. I could be miss-remembering, though.

And, regardless of how talented Aguayo may be, he's done nothing extraordinary in the NFL. Not many kickers do. So, giving him a chance, or not, I'm not drooling over the possibility. That's all.

13 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Is it just me or is everyone else hoping if AV retires next year(I think he could play 3 more) that we pick up Robert Aguayo? He played bad his rookie year. But I think it was just him trying to adjust to the different atmosphere and all of the pressure. He is talented. He was drafted in the SECOND round in today's NFL. Rumors are he could very well be released by the Bucs. 

have thought about AV's replacement, but don't know who it might be. I do know, and many others know, that the Colts have a very long tradition of fielding great kickers (and punters).

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Actually I think it will be a great move to sign aguayo..He can kickoff for us this yr and be our long range fg kicker. ..Vinatieri can't  kick off....

He is the most decorated kicker to ever come out of college he was picked in 2nd round for a reason...Plus, with us he will be kicking indoors 10 games a season which makes it so much easier....We could acqure THE NEXT VINATIERI for basically nothing and no risk....Let him learn from Adam for a yr and handle kickoffs...

6 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

He is the most decorated kicker to ever come out of college he was picked in 2nd round for a reason...Plus, with us he will be kicking indoors 10 games a season which makes it so much easier....We could acqure THE NEXT VINATIERI for basically nothing and no risk....Let him learn from Adam for a yr and handle kickoffs...

The reason is the Bucs made a terrible pick. The "next Vinatieri" (or as close as could be) may already be out there, but I don't think it's Aguayo. There's a much better chance that he's been kicking in Baltimore.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Just from what I have seen from CB so far I think he would do it.  He was supposed to be the best kicker to come out in a decade.  That's why they went after him. He would have a lot of suitors IMO.  Playing behind Adam for a year could really be a plus for him and us. 

Exactly. I don't see what the problem would be with it. He obviously has the talent like shipp said. He needs to work on his mental focus. He is 19 years old. It would be hard to kick(arguably the position with the most pressure on one given play) with 60,000 + people in the stands and hundreds of thousands watching. 

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

I haven't heard or read a single comment or report or anything on anyone associated with the Colts - fan, coach, management - wanting Roberto Aguayo

I haven't seen anything about it. I was curious how everyone else felt about it. Some agree. Some don't. That's fine. I like debating. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

have thought about AV's replacement, but don't know who it might be. I do know, and many others know, that the Colts have a very long tradition of fielding great kickers (and punters).

Yes we do. But we just signed Jeff Locke, and average punter, and if AV retires, we could very well get an average kicker. We have always had a good kicking unit and it has been a strength. With the extra points being further out. Kickers are even more important. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Just from what I have seen from CB so far I think he would do it.  He was supposed to be the best kicker to come out in a decade.  That's why they went after him. He would have a lot of suitors IMO.  Playing behind Adam for a year could really be a plus for him and us. 

Yeah. I think a lot of people would bring him in to compete. Even teams with decent kickers. He is 19 and could kick for the next 20 years. Don't be surprised if he has a great year next year wherever he ends up.