Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Says: Freeney And Mathis Will Be Back

oldunclemark

People have this idea that Hughes was a linebacker in college and we tried to convert him to an end, so they think he'll be great as an outside linebacker in a 3-4. It was actually the other way around: he was an end in college, and the pre-draft projection was that he'd be converted to outside linebacker in the NFL because of his size. A lot of the same was said about Freeney and Mathis, as a matter of fact.

I personally think he has the tools to be a better linebacker than end in the NFL, so long as he's rushing the passer most of the time, so I could see him making the team. And I would disagree with the idea that he hasn't demonstrated any ability to play in the NFL. He actually has been disruptive in the little bit of time he's gotten. I'm not promoting him as the next best thing, and he was obviously not the right pick for us, but I'm holding out hope that he can produce in a different scheme. It would make for a really good pass rushing tandem if we hold onto Mathis and Wheeler (both free agents), pair them with Freeney and Hughes (who are still under contract), and use a flexible defensive front. We've been looking for depth with our pass rushers, and if successful, that would give us great depth and versatility.

Then you and I are seeing two different things. Hughes cannot get off blocks which would be essential playing LB or even DE. He has trouble playing in space and has trouble setting himself and squaring up to make tackles. He was terrible on Special Teams and had trouble staying in his lane. I did not see any explosiveness in his rush or any fast get off either - also two essential traits in rushing the passer. He has an entire off season, mini camps and the preseason to prove me wrong but I don't think Hughes can play effectively in the NFL.

Then you and I are seeing two different things. Hughes cannot get off blocks which would be essential playing LB or even DE. He has trouble playing in space and has trouble setting himself and squaring up to make tackles. He was terrible on Special Teams and had trouble staying in his lane. I did not see any explosiveness in his rush or any fast get off either - also two essential traits in rushing the passer. He has an entire off season, mini camps and the preseason to prove me wrong but I don't think Hughes can play effectively in the NFL.

I am worried you are right FBS...

the new coachong staff is his last chance,,,,,in Indy...

Hearing the word will is an obvious fact for me, im sure its like 3yr deals for both of them... seeing those guys in 3-4 defenses will definitely be something.. i would rather hughes on the field than wheeler

I would not be shocked if hughes is not cut before the start of the season.

Our defense could be very good next year..I thouhgt we made strides late in the season and we will jave a change in philosophy..a more a gambling style..that fits our speed...

I think Mathis' signing is crucial because it looks like we're going to vary our defensive fronts and the new coaches certainly appreacite his value....

I'd give Hughes one more year...He might have been a victim of circumstance the last 2 seasons..

I truly doubt that Hughes is the perfect size for a 3-4 defense very athletic and is a good football player, i think hughes will turn some heads in the new defense the colts are gonna instill

I'm not calling him the next Demarcus Ware. I'm saying I think he has good athleticism and agility, and as a stand-up rusher, the things he struggles with the most won't be as big of an issue. I think we all know that he's not going to be a starting defensive end or an every down player, but if we can cycle him in for 20 plays a game as a stand-up rusher, I think he can be reasonably effective.